• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why is Kasim Reed being interviewed about the Hawks?

Hello, can anyone figure this one out? He has no control over the sale process, and yet there have been multiple interviews conducted with him:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/mayor-reed-on-sale-of-hawks-im-thrilled/nk2cb/<- interview

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/2015/04/23/mayor-reed-hawks-philips-arena/26263981/<- interview

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/statement-from-mayors-office-on-hawks-sale/nk2SD/<- statement

Maybe if he had some control, then this would be understandable. But he doesn't. So it's frustrating to see this shit.

• Moderators

He has injected himself into this repeatedly as if he has had some role in the process.  On top of that, it is an easy source of material for reporters on the topic and something from the mayor never hurts to flesh out an article even if it doesn't derive from anything of substance.  This doesn't surprise me at all.

He has injected himself into this repeatedly as if he has had some role in the process.  On top of that, it is an easy source of material for reporters on the topic and something from the mayor never hurts to flesh out an article even if it doesn't derive from anything of substance.  This doesn't surprise me at all.

How did this douche get elected again? He seems to poke his nose in everything.

Honestly I dont know what he's done for the city..besides the new stadium for our mediocre Falcons and asking those that were stuck in traffic "did you die?". I actually got to hear him speak at a community meeting before and he was nothing but a slick talker, avoiding questions by telling good answers in regards to something else lol.

All sports franchise get benefits (public expenditures) from cities....it's kind of quid pro quo, they help bring businesses/jobs which boosts cities tax revenue, and in-turn cities offer goodies to attract them. Also, there are other intangible benefits like quality of life for residents, which is hard to measure but politician can claim them during elections.

Some of the benefits to cities are debatable, but that's the main reason why Kasim Reed is involved. Any mayor will be involved during such a big decision to make sure Hawks are not moving, some may not be so public about it. Also, Kasim has already lost Braves to Cobb, so he has more incentive to be more involved to ensure it does not happen this time.

Edited by Canopy

All sports franchise get benefits (public expenditures) from cities....it's kind of quid pro quo, they help bring businesses/jobs which boosts cities tax revenue, and in-turn cities offer goodies to attract them. Also, there are other intangible benefits like quality of life for residents, which is hard to measure but politician can claim them during elections.

Some of the benefits to cities are debatable, but that's the main reason why Kasim Reed is involved. Any mayor will be involved during such a big decision to make sure Hawks are not moving, some may not be so public about it. Also, Kasim has already lost Braves to Cobb, so he has more incentive to be more involved to ensure it does not happen this time.

Here's the answer op

Well, no that's not the answer because Kasim hasn't thrown any money towards the Hawks and did not have a say in this process of sale.

There is always an economic impact of a sports franchise. As I mentioned earlier it's debatable if the "net" impact is positive for local government and tax payers. But, no matter what studies say, most of the local government offer incentives to sports franchises to stay in their community.

Kasim has mentioned that he would consider concessions to new owners for Hawks to stay in Atlanta. Here is his quote from USA Today article:

"Reed said the city will likely be willing to offer concessions to any new owner to ensure the Hawks commit to remaining in Atlanta for another 30 years. He said there could be as much as $150 million available after the city sells Turner Field, the current home of the Braves, though the mayor said that process has been held up by the baseball team's refusal to set a definite date for its departure."

Of course reporters always need "news" and politicians (by their nature) love to give them quotes.

I really don't blame Reed much for the Braves leaving - Cobb County was giving them the sweetheart deal of all sweetheart deals. No need to mortgage the farm to outbid them.  We will see how that works out.

City of Atlanta still has the Hawks (best) and the Falcons.

I remember living in a mid-sized city in S. Carolina for awhile.  The Mayor was a "good-ole-boy" who was thought of by many as too old and not forward thinking enough.  So they voted in a new guy who had big dreams.  Once he was elected they found out his "big dream" was to build a multi-million dollar aquarium on par with the one in Chattanooga.  The idea was a flop - not sure if it ever got built and the investment was going to require huge bonds and increased taxes.

The old Mayor was content to just siphon off enough money to buy a new bass boat every couple years.

Blame Ferry and Levenson.

I guess Reed feels that he needs to be one of the spokespeople for the success of the deal, despite not being directly involved in the process.

I guess he speaks for the people of Atlanta, who were very interested in who would take control of the team. Reed's approval somewhat represents the feelings of the city's.