Bud's Three Point Philosophy

benhillboy

I was upset all year about the number of three attempts we allow, by far the most in the league at 27.8. But Bud, the analytical guy he is, surrendered the 7th best opponent 3 point percentage. The 23 spot difference clearly shows his mastery of scouting all the players in the league with wide ranging cold areas who actully think they can somehow "cancel out" Kyle on a good day.

Combine that with our high attempts at the second best percentage in the league, I have no worries about the three-point happy teams that may await going forward in the postseason. We've shot awful by Hawks standards so far, nowhere to go but up and fast.

This combination of our three point efficiency on both sides is outstanding enough, which tells me GS is being controlled by aliens on Jupiter. They pretty much shut their opponent's three point game down completely (7th least attempts, 4th lowest percentage) while they revolutionize its use on their end.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

The thing with Golden State besides obviously having Curry and Thompson is they have a ton of long players to throw at you who are position versitile meaning they are quick and strong enough to switch all over the floor. So they can guard and chase shooters off the 3 point line with ease. We on the other hand are very thin on the wings especially with Thabo out so we cant rely as much on switches on the perimeter instead opting to mark the opposing teams best scorers and defend the paint while allowing lesser shooters to shoot open Js against us.

The thing with Golden State besides obviously having Curry and Thompson is they have a ton of long players to throw at you who are position versitile meaning they are quick and strong enough to switch all over the floor. So they can guard and chase shooters off the 3 point line with ease. We on the other hand are very thin on the wings especially with Thabo out so we cant rely as much on switches on the perimeter instead opting to mark the opposing teams best scorers and defend the paint while allowing lesser shooters to shoot open Js against us.

True. It seems Thabo's absence is having a residual effect with each game. Those on/off numbers and his at one time league-leading individual field goal percentage allowed for attempts over 150 was and is not a fluke. What the hell was that man drinking that night? Smh.

What I noticed this year was a lot of teams shooting 3's in the 4th quarter on us to try to get back in the game.  We often had a decent lead in the 4th and you would have subpar shooters attempting 3's out of desperation.  

Think of the last couple minutes of a game where you are down by 10-12 points.  The chuckers start launching 3's to try and be the hero.  

I also think our lane defense was so good that teams grew tired of trying to score in the paint.  Teams went off script and just started shooting.

• Premium Member

I was upset all year about the number of three attempts we allow, by far the most in the league at 27.8. But Bud, the analytical guy he is, surrendered the 7th best opponent 3 point percentage. The 23 spot difference clearly shows his mastery of scouting all the players in the league with wide ranging cold areas who actully think they can somehow "cancel out" Kyle on a good day.

Combine that with our high attempts at the second best percentage in the league, I have no worries about the three-point happy teams that may await going forward in the postseason. We've shot awful by Hawks standards so far, nowhere to go but up and fast.

This combination of our three point efficiency on both sides is outstanding enough, which tells me GS is being controlled by aliens on Jupiter. They pretty much shut their opponent's three point game down completely (7th least attempts, 4th lowest percentage) while they revolutionize its use on their end.

I think Golden States defense is more predicated on switching than ours, which is a more effective strategy for running players off the 3pt line.  We are more concerned with directing driving guards into help without switching, so fast shooters can find spots on the 3 point line after pick and rolls. 

One thing I've noticed in this series is Bazemore has had a very hard time staying focused while he's helping off his man and end up being lost in the middle of the floor while his man is wide open behind the 3pt line.  His decision making isn't fast enough to keep up with our complicated defensive schemes yet.

Edited by SalvorMallow
  • Like 2

I think Golden States offense is more predicated on switching than ours, which is a more effective strategy for running players off the 3pt line.  We are more concerned with directing driving guards into help without switching, so fast shooters can find spots on the 3 point line after pick and rolls. 

One thing I've noticed in this series is Bazemore has had a very hard time staying focused while he's helping off his man and end up being lost in the middle of the floor while his man is wide open behind the 3pt line.  His decision making isn't fast enough to keep up with our complicated defensive schemes yet.

Yep.