• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ECF and Off Season Free Agents

ThomasCredle

We all know the trouble the Hawks have had getting a top level FA to sign. With solid new ownership group with extremely deep pockets, Grant Hill with near universal respect from most players, the reigning coach of the year, 60 wins last year, and a offensive system that players seem to love playing under, and a great city to live in is playoff success the one thing we need to get a top level FA to sign? Do people think another second round exit, and the accompanying told you so on ESPN, would discourage players or have we finally gotten over the hump even without a super deep playoff run?

I know it's a pipe dream at this point and I have no idea if he has any interest or if the Cap would even make it feasible but KD seems like the perfect fit for our offense and his personality seems from a distance to mesh well with the teams persona. Just dreaming but......

One player who could be serviceable and has played with Grant Hill is Robin Lopez. He'll be a FA this offseason.

Horford-Lopez

Millsap-Muscala

Would be a great rotation, very complete...

And before it gets pointed out I know KD is in OKC one more year. Just my dream fit player. I also think that line up above could be solid. Lopez has a lot of the skill set we need rim protect & rebounding. Injury history worries me a bit as he gets older but he would probably be CAP friendly, or as friendly as a true big can be.

I have a hunch Paul is gone next year though

Milsap/Horford front court is and needs to be broken up. I would dangle Sap as sign and trade bait. Whoever the Hawks bring in needs to be a TRUE CENTER. Slide Horford over to the 4 and go after Brook Lopez or Mark Gasol. Upgrade Moose into the rotation as the first big off the bench:

B. Lopez/Gasol    Moose

Horford/ Scott

Edited by atlhawks1

We've all been begging for a true center for years so I am always skeptical that will happen. I just wonder if that big fish FA would sign now. We have fixed all the reasons that used to be giving for always being used as leverage but never landing the player.

I think they have fixed then outside of Fan interest which is getting much better. I would feel really good if we played a competitive ECF or better yet Finals or God forbid championship. Then that player would easily think I'm the piece to put them over the top. Do they still that if we never get out of the second round and have no legacy of championship success to sell?

We all know the trouble the Hawks have had getting a top level FA to sign. With solid new ownership group with extremely deep pockets, Grant Hill with near universal respect from most players, the reigning coach of the year, 60 wins last year, and a offensive system that players seem to love playing under, and a great city to live in is playoff success the one thing we need to get a top level FA to sign? Do people think another second round exit, and the accompanying told you so on ESPN, would discourage players or have we finally gotten over the hump even without a super deep playoff run?

I know it's a pipe dream at this point and I have no idea if he has any interest or if the Cap would even make it feasible but KD seems like the perfect fit for our offense and his personality seems from a distance to mesh well with the teams persona. Just dreaming but......

I don't think the Hawks need a top level FA to sign to put them over the top. They just got to continue building. Next year will be year 3 for Coach Bud. Thabo should be healthy which would be huge for the Hawks. Brand will probably retire but that presents a good opportunity for Tavares to be groomed.

Hopefully the new ownership don't be cheap and let Carroll and Millsap go.

We've all been begging for a true center for years so I am always skeptical that will happen. I just wonder if that big fish FA would sign now. We have fixed all the reasons that used to be giving for always being used as leverage but never landing the player.

I think they have fixed then outside of Fan interest which is getting much better. I would feel really good if we played a competitive ECF or better yet Finals or God forbid championship. Then that player would easily think I'm the piece to put them over the top. Do they still that if we never get out of the second round and have no legacy of championship success to sell?

How do you guys expect us to get a solid big man while paying DMC 9-11 million and Sap the max? Where is the money coming from? That being said, after LA and Love, Sap is the best player in the 2015 FA class.

I don't know why people think we don't have money to sign one good free agent. I have read it a lot of times lately.

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/401659-early-offseason-talks-details-on-fa-rights/

In my opinion, if we sign one quality free agent, it could also mean we would trade someone like Bazemore or Scott... but we are still a month and a half away from July, let's wait until then...

I think Sap is probably gone for just that reason. If Bud wants San Antonio East he will want the Rim Protecting Big they always have. I think they SnT Milsap if they can get a good deal and go out for that big of available. Knowing Ferry and his style it will be a Lopez type no max money big out side Aldridge imho and he is duplicative of Milsap in several ways and will cost more.

Getting back to my original post would Aldridge even sign here. Disregard reality that he is likely staying in Portland or going to Texas which is home. My question is are we as a franchise a place where the top FA on the market would say I want to play in Atlanta I can win a title there?

I don't know why people think we don't have money to sign one good free agent. I have read it a lot of times lately.

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/401659-early-offseason-talks-details-on-fa-rights/

In my opinion, if we sign one quality free agent, it could also mean we would trade someone like Bazemore or Scott... but we are still a month and a half away from July, let's wait until then...

Name me a solid big man that we can realistically get for 6-7 million a year?

We might can get a wing (Afflalo, etc.) for that 

Name me a solid big man that we can realistically get for 6-7 million a year?

We might can get a wing (Afflalo, etc.) for that 

We would have like 8M or so, and I wouldn't bet everyone continues in the roster if we add someone in the free agency. You have to think that we also have a draft pick. If we, for example, draft a SG in the draft and add a big in the off-season we may put Scott or Bazemore in the trade block. There wouldn't be minutes for everyone.

Korver-DraftPick

Carroll-Thabo

Horford-Millsap

FA-Muscala

If we found a team for Bazemore or Scott, we would have +10M for one player, which is a considerable amount of money.

• Premium Member

Let me get this straight.............bud wins 60 games, the number 1 sead in the east and coach of the year and he is going to let their best player in Sap go??????????

I gotta really big bridge.......

• Like 1

I definitely don't want to get rid of Sap. My fear is he gets an offer that the Hawks management thinks is too high and they decide that they would rather have flexibility and rim defender more then throwing huge money at Sap. The scenario I worry about is he gets max or near max money from someone else. Maybe not likely but stranger things have happened. By far my preference would be to find a defensive big that would back up Horf and resign Sap. DMC driving up his value in these playoffs would only make that problem worse if the Hawks couldn't sign him and add a piece or just match a big deal for Sap. Maybe I worry about nothing or maybe the new owners are willing to pay some tax and get another big and bring back our starters. I would love to see that because I would hate to lose Sap to a money issue.

Yup still feel the same way I felt about the this situation with Sap from the very beginning since his name comes up the most as far as being let go. If you want to trade or just not resign sap fine…but you should know that sap's replacement will likely be someone who can score up to his level or better.

I think there are only two options as far as scoring BIGS go! Sign Love if he opts out or trade for him or Sign Greg Monroe cause he could be a 20 point scorer if given the opportunity especially under Bud. (Theres no way we get Gasol)

To the Rim Protector and Rebound Lovers ((PLEASE READ))

To those who want Horford at the 4 just so we can have a rim protector will be very surprised when we can't score or have the same issues we are having now in the playoffs when the offense gets stagnant at times. You are focusing on defense way too much when honestly the defense would probably be there and be better if the offense wasn't so discouraging or so pitiful. But you need and have to realize that we need to have someone that can put the ball in the hoop when the offense struggles and a rebounding rim protector won't do that for us. Please stop looking at this one sided! Offense helps defense just like defense helps offense. I don't disagree with what you want but unfortunately for our hawks there is only one player that can fix all of our issues in free agency and that is Marc Gasol but again NEWSFLASH!!! there is probably zero percent chance we get Marc.

Why aren't there more post about hope to get a disgruntled Kevin Love who's not a rim protector but is a scorer and rebounding machine. Why not more post about Greg Monroe who has the size of a center and could definitely possibly be a 20 point scorer under bud? Hell and the guy can rebound!…..Those I see are realistic players we could possibly get and not resign Sap even though they don't solve all issues (only Marc can solve all issues) they bring something we need to the table.

STOP and THINK! Go through your list of our needs:

-Need a star scorer (or at least someone who can make up for Saps points since he's everybody's odd man out)…..Love and Monroe checks out good here. Love would probably be a better scorer in this spurs system than even Sap. Monroe would probably shock most of you and drop 18-20 points but we lose versatility that Sap shows in his scoring ability since Monroe doesn't have that ability.

-Need Rebounding……..Both Love and Monroe are good rebounders. Nuff Said!

-Need a rim protector…..Neither Love or Monroe are good fits here but unless you are getting Marc the offense skill set of other BIGs start to drop off severely. However with both players having high BBQs both can learn how to better position themselves to at least contest shots near the rim better with some good coaching which we do have

-Need a consistent inside scoring presence………..Both Love and Monroe are yet again great fits here. 

This team isn't going anywhere if we can't find a primary offensive scorer that fits this system. I don't care how great our defense becomes if we can't score or stay stagnant like the hawks are doing now suddenly out of no where we will always be screwed.