• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How the Warriors were built Hawks Can Learn

thescout5

Interesting read on how the Golden State Warriors were built. A smart GM is worth his weight in gold. Reading the article they built their team as you would expect through shrew trades and drafting. It doesn't seem like the Warriors have had any bad moves recently. Curry taken 7th in 1st round and Clay Thompson 11. The trades getting lee,Bogut especially really helped. The Hawks need to look at this and decide who to keep and who to trade or upgrade. Right now Teague is the most marketable player but outside of Horford I would deal anyone else on the roster for the right move. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-the-golden-state-warriors-built-their-roster-2014-12

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This thread won't be received well since that team has a superstar and this board is anti-superstar since superstar = iso play to most here for some reason. The irony of that is GSW leads the Playoffs in assists.

• Premium Member

so the article is saying that it starts by drafting a star in the lottery. mmmhh

And that's another forbidden topic. Besides we are having a hard enough time of drafting anybody worthy of note in the teens, even with a genius GM. Ok, that's my third bitter post. I'll stop.

Well if you want to be the best you got to up your game. Making the right moves at the right time is something the Hawks must do to get better pretty simplistic. Yeah you can get a good player in the lotto but hat about Draymond Green he wasn't lottery. Trade up then to get the player you want. If it takes Teague to do it then so be it. Getting Bogut what a steal for the Warriors. The Warriors GM is kicking everyone's tail at trades and drafting but it's easy to say now since they look like an elite team for the foreseable future.

Those who want to keep Sap and Carroll what do you plan on doing to get better. Are we one move from a championship by getting a Danny Green type. I am proud of this 60 win Hawks team but eventually you want more. Yeah its great to finally get recognition but looking at the long term picture I don't think this current Hawks team will be championship material. Cleveland will get stronger with a healthy Irving and don't forget Varejo power forward coming back) plus probably Love. Then you have the other teams that could rebound from last year like Indiana and others. Right now the Western Conference seems to have alot more powerful teams so what are you going to do to close the gap Hawks? 

Hawks were and ARE built the right way. I come down HARD on them, and its because of ONE player, Pero Antić. Antić is a HUGE reason the Hawks have problems. If you deploying a UNDERSIZED front court, your bench big BETTER be somewhere in the vicinity of Tristan Thompson. Heck, Adreian Payne wouldve helped. Moose couldve helped. There is sooo much riding on that first big off the bench with a team like the Hawks, and Antić isnt up to it.........Thats the ONE thing the Hawks didnt do right.

Edited by atlhawks1

• Moderators

The Warriors aren't perfect... They have a lot of money tied up on that bench between Iguodala and Lee. If anything, it shows that drafting players is the best way to build a team for the long haul. Ferry has drafted well as he's picked up 4 quality players that are apart of the Hawks future in one way or another (Schröder, Scott, Tavares, Muscala). It's just that we haven't had lottery picks to get guys like Curry (7th overall) or Thompson (11th overall).

• Like 2

The Warriors aren't perfect... They have a lot of money tied up on that bench between Iguodala and Lee. If anything, it shows that drafting players is the best way to build a team for the long haul. Ferry has drafted well as he's picked up 4 quality players that are apart of the Hawks future in one way or another (Schröder, Scott, Tavares, Muscala). It's just that we haven't had lottery picks to get guys like Curry (7th overall) or Thompson (11th overall).

Yea, their big money free agent acquisitions (it's technically what Lee and Iggy are seeing as they were sign and trades) have been duds yet get little mention in the article, what was given up for them though gets plenty of mention for not being in the league or what not.  Lee is getting 15 million to be a bench warmer, he doesn't play, like at all, and you can say that he hasn't contributed much of anything to them ever since they started winning.  In fact there's a strong correlation between their wins and his role being reduced.  Iggy is making ~12 million to do what Shaun Livingston does for 7 million less....yea sure they got rid of Jefferson ( a player they should not have ever traded for in the first place) and Biedrins (a player they should have amnestied instead of Charlie Bell) but you have to wonder if the two 1sts and three 2nds were more to dump those bad deals or to get Iggy.  Either way that's a net neutral bad deal.

Yea the Bogut deal was great, even when never healthy it was a low risk deal for them because Curry was clearly the future over Monta and Monta was not the type to ever accept that but the rest of their core are draftees and high ones at that.  It's also been great that they've had owners that don't mind paying out 30 mil for a bench that does close to nothing, it's a nice luxury to have, I mean, just a imagine a team that could bring Joe Johnson off the bench at his deal.  Yea, it means you're talented and it means both your bench and owner's pockets are deep. 

Yep. We haven't made that trade yet to get us that type of player for our system who has star potential. Jeff is an all star player but he's not Steph Curry or close.

And that's another forbidden topic. Besides we are having a hard enough time of drafting anybody worthy of note in the teens, even with a genius GM. Ok, that's my third bitter post. I'll stop.

Its pretty hard to get a star player when your always picking in the teens and its the biggest downfall of making the playoffs every year to end up with nothing.   Usually your star players are the first few picks with some drafts being alittle deeper or getting lucking with mid/later round picks but its hard to get that star player in the NBA draft.  Unfortunately Atlanta has been frowned upon by free agents because of ownership, fanbase, market, etc and its very hard to get A+ talent to come here.  We are probably going to have to overpay someone like we did Joe Johnson to get better talent.  

Interesting read on how the Golden State Warriors were built. A smart GM is worth his weight in gold. Reading the article they built their team as you would expect through shrew trades and drafting. It doesn't seem like the Warriors have had any bad moves recently. Curry taken 7th in 1st round and Clay Thompson 11. The trades getting lee,Bogut especially really helped. The Hawks need to look at this and decide who to keep and who to trade or upgrade. Right now Teague is the most marketable player but outside of Horford I would deal anyone else on the roster for the right move.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-the-golden-state-warriors-built-their-roster-2014-12

I stopped reading when you spelled Klay as Clay....it kinda made me laugh at ur post altogether and I went as far as not wanting to read any of your future posts.

Greatest example of building a great, potentially a championship team?  Cleveland!

Suffer through losing season after losing season.  Get high lottery picks.  Then have

King James join your team.  Take over as star player, head coach and GM.

Before the trade deadline, while your team is just playing so so, trade away all the pieces

that can not or will not work for The King.  Allow him to make all the final decisions

because he is the one who they will be working with.

Smart GM?  Not as smart as King James.  Great head coach?  Not as great as King James.

Until we began reading all the stuff written about the Cavs we didn't know the true story

about all this.  Now we do.

So you see, the solution is simple.  Sign the greatest player on the planet who is also the

richest and smartest.  Then, turn everything over to him.  With him and the NBA on your

side, success is guaranteed!!

banned.gif

• Like 4

Reviewing some past drafts would you believe Khawi Leonard was traded to the Spurs for George Hill. Draymond Green was taken in the 2nd round 35th overall. It's these kind of players the Hawks need to acquire and this is why the Spurs and Warriors are at or near the top of the NBA.