• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marc Gasol "mentions" ATL in interview

johnnyde

Its called STERNS/SILVER math. Look, you can add to THAT, how come Cleveland KEPT getting the first pick in the lottery??? How come Atlanta didnt make a move to counter Cleveland? Were they complicit with the NBA?? We know this is a business of ENTERTAINMENT FIRST.

How is it that Cleveland, ALREADY having Tristan Thompson, adds all THAT, and Atlanta makes ZERO moves, and continues to roll Pero Antić out there as the answer. Im not buying any of that gargage. If Atlanta does NOT come hard in the front court during the off season, they are for some reason, NOT trying to get to the finals and win a championship, plain and simple.........

I agree where there is a will there is a way. Get rid of the Jags on the team, sign and trade, bird rights etc etc. Find a way to bring in a star player or players. When we had the money Dwight and Paul still didn't come but now that the Hawks are on the map with 60 wins there is no excuse not to find a way to bring a big name here. 

Damn - retarded?

Well he's a little to much in love with being able to jump around like a pogo-stick. He has a frame that a trainer could work with and add some muscle, which would make perfect sense relating to what he already can do and can not, but I think he knows he doesnt have the character to actually grind with guys. He seems shy, timid etc. Even when he makes the most spectacular alley-hoop of his season, there is no reaction. He seems glad when the games are over and he can go home.

He's that kind of weird. Perhaps not retarded, but something mental is going on with him that severly affects some very important aspects of his game, mainly defense.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

I like him as well, but he's a player that needs to be catered to in a style thats very unlike these Hawks. He wouldnt fit offensively, and while he's a good shotblocker, he's a joke really on defense, getting pushed around all night and just having little balls out there to the point I think he's a little retarded.

post-2505-14338153244874.jpg

• Moderators

Well he's a little to much in love with being able to jump around like a pogo-stick. He has a frame that a trainer could work with and add some muscle, which would make perfect sense relating to what he already can do and can not, but I think he knows he doesnt have the character to actually grind with guys. He seems shy, timid etc. Even when he makes the most spectacular alley-hoop of his season, there is no reaction. He seems glad when the games are over and he can go home.

He's that kind of weird. Perhaps not retarded, but something mental is going on with him that severly affects some very important aspects of his game, mainly defense.

Just FYI - "retarded" used to be used commonly in the US.  It is now considered offensive to a lot of people as society gets more educated and understanding of mentally disabled people.  

• Like 4

So in other words Im stating retarded people can be in the NBA. Thats not offensive, thats power to the retarded people.

Also USA needs to get its head out of its rectum, and stop playing along with these catered petty issues as if they actually matter. USA has to many very real issues, many affecting the whole globe, and only the American people can do something about these. This PC nonsense is one element that keeps good people putting their energy in the wrong places and getting them a false sense of succes and improvement, and a false sense of saturation. Also it shies away the many people who cant stand this PC nonsense from political-liberalism, splinters popular resistance, and makes it impotent.

sorry, I had to say it. Im not buying into it. I rather help actual retards cross the street etc.

Just FYI - "retarded" used to be used commonly in the US. It is now considered offensive to a lot of people as society gets more educated and understanding of mentally disabled people.

Somewhere Danny Ferry is wondering "How does DS17 still have his job" :).

• Like 4

So in other words Im stating retarded people can be in the NBA. Thats not offensive, thats power to the retarded people.

Also USA needs to get its head out of its rectum, and stop playing along with these catered petty issues as if they actually matter. USA has to many very real issues, many affecting the whole globe, and only the American people can do something about these. This PC nonsense is one element that keeps good people putting their energy in the wrong places and getting them a false sense of succes and improvement, and a false sense of saturation. Also it shies away the many people who cant stand this PC nonsense from political-liberalism, splinters popular resistance, and makes it impotent.

sorry, I had to say it. Im not buying into it. I rather help actual retards cross the street etc.

You are right in many ways about the PC nonsense. I agree with you. We put way to much power in a word and its not helping the real issues.

With that said , AHF was just trying to explain the response.

• Like 1

I think that's not a problem only in USA.

We are in the era of being politically correct.

True

Also, we have off-topic forums for this nonsense.  Keep Homecourt basketball only please.

And shame on all you for making me (of all people) a voice of reason.

• Moderators

I think that's not a problem only in USA.

We are in the era of being politically correct.

There is a balance there.  Part of this is being PC and part of it is just better awareness.  People used to make lots of really racist humor at a minority's expense.  A lot of that humor was enjoyed by the majority but it made the people who were the object of it feel degraded.  Think about the 'black face' routines that used to be mainstream.  As people become more aware about those minorities and the way they perceive that kind of humor, they realize that it wasn't accomplishing what they thought it was accomplishing (i.e., wasn't just light hearted fun for all).  There is a very real improvement from that kind of sensitivity.

What really torques me as a real negative of the PC side of things is that words have taken on so much significance in our culture.  Words have come to mean more than actions.  Let's use a completely innocuous example.  If Lebron treated ball boys well but said in a press conference, "Ball boys are beneath me. Those little #$*s can #$# me before I give them the time of day" he would be roasted alive in the media for that and it would go down in his legacy.  Instead the reverse happens in real life.  He says nothing negative about ball boys but treats them like they are beneath him.  It works this way in a lot of things.  Using the Danny Ferry example, it is almost lost in the conversation that Ferry offered Deng as large a contract as he was offered by anyone else in the NBA.  It would have been a greater harm to Deng if Ferry had said nothing but nice things about him and then refused to offer him a deal because of his ethnicity.  

Words have power and should be important but I think we have turned things on their head when words become more meaningful than actions.  We have politicians who work to exploit the disadvantaged to benefit the wealthy but make nice press conferences about how they care about people and they are viewed more positively than a politician who legitimately works to do good things but then craps on a sacred cow while a camera is rolling somewhere.  There is something perverse about the fact that people's images are more defined by what they say than what they do.

• Like 3

There is a balance there. Part of this is being PC and part of it is just better awareness. People used to make lots of really racist humor at a minority's expense. A lot of that humor was enjoyed by the majority but it made the people who were the object of it feel degraded. Think about the 'black face' routines that used to be mainstream. As people become more aware about those minorities and the way they perceive that kind of humor, they realize that it wasn't accomplishing what they thought it was accomplishing (i.e., wasn't just light hearted fun for all). There is a very real improvement from that kind of sensitivity.

What really torques me as a real negative of the PC side of things is that words have taken on so much significance in our culture. Words have come to mean more than actions. Let's use a completely innocuous example. If Lebron treated ball boys well but said in a press conference, "Ball boys are beneath me. Those little #$*s can #$# me before I give them the time of day" he would be roasted alive in the media for that and it would go down in his legacy. Instead the reverse happens in real life. He says nothing negative about ball boys but treats them like they are beneath him. It works this way in a lot of things. Using the Danny Ferry example, it is almost lost in the conversation that Ferry offered Deng as large a contract as he was offered by anyone else in the NBA. It would have been a greater harm to Deng if Ferry had said nothing but nice things about him and then refused to offer him a deal because of his ethnicity.

Words have power and should be important but I think we have turned things on their head when words become more meaningful than actions. We have politicians who work to exploit the disadvantaged to benefit the wealthy but make nice press conferences about how they care about people and they are viewed more positively than a politician who legitimately works to do good things but then craps on a sacred cow while a camera is rolling somewhere. There is something perverse about the fact that people's images are more defined by what they say than what they do.

Well said @AHF . The saying was always 'Actions speak louder than words - let what you do speak for you.'

Well said @AHF . The saying was always 'Actions speak louder than words - let what you do speak for you.'

Agreed.  I must admit @AHF is a wise mofo (sometimes, ha!).  He'd rank up there in site contributors in my book (almost as high as me king.gif ).

Agreed. I must admit @AHF is a wise mofo (sometimes, ha!). He'd rank up there in site contributors in my book (almost as high as me king.gif ).

You are high...

Allow me to get on my soapbox for a minute. I get the whole PC police thing SORT OF, but this is also a strawman argument.

The U.S.'s issues abroad (of which there are many) have no bearing on whether or not it's ok to drop the R-Bomb. I do a lot of work with children and young adults with disabilities and the word does nothing but cause harm. Maybe it didn't always do that, but it does now. So why say it? It doesn't benefit ANYBODY to say it, it's not funny (any fifth grader can use shock humor, believe me I know) and it actually hurts a lot of kids' feelings. In America and elsewhere.

Now, back to basketball.

Edit: Also, thank you @AHF for trying to keep this civil, you're a phenomenal moderator.

Edited by TheFuzz

Marc Gasol basically means losing Millsap and Carroll, but it may be worth it in the long run if Carroll gets overpaid. I'd rather retain Carroll for $10M and Millsap for $16M, but if that's not possible Gasol at $20M is better than either of them. He shoots, passes and posts better than Sap. He lacks his defensive versatility, but he's probably a better defender purely based on his ability to protect the rim. They're comparable rebounders I think.

If we lose Sap and Carroll, signing Gasol and someone like Jerebko (along with our new draft pick) may make us a better team overall, though we'd have some growing pains.

Can someone help me with the rules of sign&trade? Can we sign Gasol with our cap space first and then try to sign let's say Tobias Harris with S&T? I wouldn't mind trading away #15 for that trade.

Gasol-Horford-Harris-Korver-Teague

• Moderators

Can someone help me with the rules of sign&trade? Can we sign Gasol with our cap space first and then try to sign let's say Tobias Harris with S&T? I wouldn't mind trading away #15 for that trade.

Gasol-Horford-Harris-Korver-Teague

We can almost always trade for someone via sign and trade or otherwise.  The challenge with that is that the salary we send out will need to balance against what we bring in assuming we have signed Gasol for $20M or so.  So if Harris S&Ts for $14M, for example, we have ship roughly $14M out in that trade.  

We can almost always trade for someone via sign and trade or otherwise.  The challenge with that is that the salary we send out will need to balance against what we bring in assuming we have signed Gasol for $20M or so.  So if Harris S&Ts for $14M, for example, we have ship roughly $14M out in that trade.  

I see. That is the challenge, we don't have that many contracts to send.