Marc Gasol "mentions" ATL in interview

johnnyde

"Aldrich, 26, had re-signed with New York on a 1-year deal after spending some time during the 2013-2014 season in the D-League"

So, some team is going to be so desparate that they will sign Aldrich to a 4 million+ deal?  Something like 4 yr 16 Million??  Let's just keep this thread around to come back and see who is right.

Smh, Diesel, that's your worst point yet. The worst. Do you realize how many players played in the D-league last year who are key players on their team right now. 

You just said, some of you dont understand the cap, if we sign millsap to his early bird max, we will only have 8.whatever left for demarre.

Im telling you that's incorrect because we can go over the cap to sign millsap if he agrees to a contract within the early bird amount.

DMC early max is 7.5 mil. His starting point will be 10 mil. An NBA exec said he can get upwards 15 mil per. If you think we are going to sign him without going into our cap space, you are something else. 

DMC early max is 7.5 mil. His starting point will be 10 mil. An NBA exec said he can get upwards 15 mil per. If you think we are going to sign him without going into our cap space, you are something else.

When did I say we could sign dmc without using cap?

Care to respond to your previous statement that we wont have enough cap space to sign demarre if millsap accepts his early bird max?

• Premium Member

If I read this correctly, we can either go over the cap to sign our players with their early bird rights or we can USE cap to sign them.

So my question is couldn't we simply sign DMC and sign some cheap BU center with cap money then go over the cap with Sap's EB salary?

If I read this correctly, we can either go over the cap to sign our players with their early bird rights or we can USE cap to sign them.

So my question is couldn't we simply sign DMC and sign some cheap BU center with cap money then go over the cap with Sap's EB salary?

That's correct diesel.

Yes for DMC, no for the BU center unless the BU center is 2.3 mil since we have the MMLE. 

Please note, Sap has to agree that he is willing to sign for the early max.  

• Premium Member

Yes for DMC, no for the BU center unless the BU center is 2.3 mil since we have the MMLE. 

Supes, its hard to take your word based on your argument above with JETSET.  

ill wait and see.

Im confused about the Marc Gasol Scenario! (I think I am anyways….I mean if he actually listens and gives us an opportunity to sign him)

Anyways let me get this straight...

If I am understanding this correctly if we were to sign Marc Gasol, we would have to lose both Sap and DMC. Right?

Huh...Im no NBA gm or coach but if that is true than this isn't a smart move after all in my opinion. I don't trust a BIG 3 of Teague, Horford, Marc with Korver as a major role player to lead us to the promise land. Nope, I rather keep the guys we have. It seems like to me that every time this damn franchise has a chance to gain something we lose out on something else….then us fans go into a 10 year b*tch mode process about the same damn problem over and over again then once its fixed we fix it by creating a problem we didn't have a problem with.

So in so many words a Marc Gasol signing would basically mean a trade off for a perimeter player who does what he's suppose to for a post player who does what he's suppose to. Gasol is elite for todays NBA but he can't guard the perimeter and he will not look as effective guarding the rim with weak perimeter defense which is bound to happen with DMC not around….just saying its not like we have seen Marc play along side bad defenders on the wing cause Memphis has good defenders all over especially conley and Allen.

So let me ask this as a counter to try to keep DMC as well as bring in Gasol:

Though this would hurt the bench is it possible for the hawks to get rid of Mack and Scotts contract to give that cap money to DMC if Gasol were to sign? or would that still not be enough to give DMC a fair contract?

If it can happen Im cool with this. A lineup and bench like this is intriguing:

Starters-

pg-teague

sg-korver

sf-DMC

pf-horford

c-Marc Gasol

Bench-

pg-dennis

sg-bazemore

sf-thabo

pf-moose

c?

Thats something I can live with!

Im done with the pipe dream plans of bringing in Marc Gasol or Lamarcus Aldridge honestly. I want it to happen but Im just as happy with this plan:

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/atlanta_hawks_the_perfect_offseason/18922543

Resign Sap, DMC……get Koufos

Koufos can be used to start against bigger centers and sap or horford can act as a 6th man in those games. Now thats a deep team with legit game planning . 

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

Koufos is going to cost 6-8 mil per at the least. He's not signing for something teams can nab Antić and other average backup centers with. 

I don't agree with none of ya'll on this but your wants as for as players like Koufos is flat out extreme 

Im done with the pipe dream plans of bringing in Marc Gasol or Lamarcus Aldridge honestly. I want it to happen but Im just as happy with this plan:

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/atlanta_hawks_the_perfect_offseason/18922543

Resign Sap, DMC……get Koufos

Koufos can be used to start against bigger centers and sap or horford can act as a 6th man in those games. Now thats a deep team with legit game planning . 

I like Koufos for us but IIUC the reason he's looking to leave MEM is for a starting opp and for more $$$ than we should be spending on him.

I wonder how much a guy like Brendan Wright would cost though.

I like Koufos for us but IIUC the reason he's looking to leave MEM is for a starting opp and for more $$$ than we should be spending on him.

I wonder how much a guy like Brendan Wright would cost though.

I really liked Brendan in Dallas. He made $5 million last year and will get at least that.

I really liked Brendan in Dallas. He made $5 million last year and will get at least that.

Reality starting to hit these posters that we don't have a lot of money especially with the players we do have values going through the roof. Signs of a 60 win team. 

• Like 1

Next year won't be any better unless the Hawks get Durant. The free agent crop isn't that good so if the Hawks don't make a decent to major change then they'll have to wait 2 more years.Its so important to get this right this year. Is Sap and Carroll the answer in the playoffs or should the Hawks go another route. I saw a team while injured didn't seem to have alot of passion in the playoffs. Barely beating the Nets and Washinton without Wall most of the time they got trampled vs Cleveland. The Cavs aren't going away thus you bring the same Hawks team back probably won't make it back to the ECF and if the Hawks do no way they get by Cleveland.

How the Cavs added Mozgov,Shumpert,JR, Love to go along with their two high priced stars in Lebron and Irving is beyond me. They are at 82 million way over the cap and will be again next year.They began the year not having alot of room but added all these players. How come the Hawks can't find ways to bring in star players. Every year its the same thing no star coming. Sure the Hawks won 60 games but it will take more than that to win in the playoffs. As we found out the playoffs are alot different and it wasn't because of the defense of the Cavs beating the Hawks simply the Hawks couldn't make their  wide open outside shots. Other than  Teague most of the players were like deer in head lights when it came to crunch time. You want to win in the playoffs you need better players.

• Like 1

Next year won't be any better unless the Hawks get Durant. The free agent crop isn't that good so if the Hawks don't make a decent to major change then they'll have to wait 2 more years.Its so important to get this right this year. Is Sap and Carroll the answer in the playoffs or should the Hawks go another route. I saw a team while injured didn't seem to have alot of passion in the playoffs. Barely beating the Nets and Washinton without Wall most of the time they got trampled vs Cleveland. The Cavs aren't going away thus you bring the same Hawks team back probably won't make it back to the ECF and if the Hawks do no way they get by Cleveland.

How the Cavs added Mozgov,Shumpert,JR, Love to go along with their two high priced stars in Lebron and Irving is beyond me. They are at 82 million way over the cap and will be again next year.They began the year not having alot of room but added all these players. How come the Hawks can't find ways to bring in star players. Every year its the same thing no star coming. Sure the Hawks won 60 games but it will take more than that to win in the playoffs. As we found out the playoffs are alot different and it wasn't because of the defense of the Cavs beating the Hawks simply the Hawks couldn't make their  wide open outside shots. Other than  Teague most of the players were like deer in head lights when it came to crunch time. You want to win in the playoffs you need better players.

That Luol Deng/Lebron James double SnT. 

Both teams make out good with that one. We could do that too with Sap/Monroe but it's unlikely for Carroll considering his price.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

How the Cavs added Mozgov,Shumpert,JR, Love to go along with their two high priced stars in Lebron and Irving is beyond me. They are at 82 million way over the cap and will be again next year.They began the year not having alot of room but added all these players. How come the Hawks can't find ways to bring in star players. Every year its the same thing no star coming. Sure the Hawks won 60 games but it will take more than that to win in the playoffs. As we found out the playoffs are alot different and it wasn't because of the defense of the Cavs beating the Hawks simply the Hawks couldn't make their wide open outside shots. Other than Teague most of the players were like deer in head lights when it came to crunch time. You want to win in the playoffs you need better players.

I want this answered too....I thought I knew all I needed to know about the NBAs cap but apparently not. Is it a owners decision to go over the cap? Or is it something that you can only do in trade or something?

Can the Hawks get rid of Mack and Scott to give that cap money to Carroll if the Hawks were to sign a big name like gasol or LMA? Edited by JTB

Its called STERNS/SILVER math. Look, you can add to THAT, how come Cleveland KEPT getting the first pick in the lottery??? How come Atlanta didnt make a move to counter Cleveland? Were they complicit with the NBA?? We know this is a business of ENTERTAINMENT FIRST.

How is it that Cleveland, ALREADY having Tristan Thompson, adds all THAT, and Atlanta makes ZERO moves, and continues to roll Pero Antić out there as the answer. Im not buying any of that gargage. If Atlanta does NOT come hard in the front court during the off season, they are for some reason, NOT trying to get to the finals and win a championship, plain and simple.........

Edited by atlhawks1
  • Like 1

I like him as well, but he's a player that needs to be catered to in a style thats very unlike these Hawks. He wouldnt fit offensively, and while he's a good shotblocker, he's a joke really on defense, getting pushed around all night and just having little balls out there to the point I think he's a little retarded.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

I like him as well, but he's a player that needs to be catered to in a style thats very unlike these Hawks. He wouldnt fit offensively, and while he's a good shotblocker, he's a joke really on defense, getting pushed around all night and just having little balls out there to the point I think he's a little retarded.

Damn - retarded?