• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Attempting to stay within reason, what is your DREAM SCENARIO for us on draft night?... and then, what do you think is MOST REALISTIC?

sturt

• Premium Member

Still weighing my own thoughts on both of these questions, so don't take my silence as being coy... but I'd like to hear what those of you who already have some pretty solid ideas are thinking.

Dream: Trade Al and #15 for the #1 pick, Shabazz Mohammed and Gorgie Dieng.....ooooooooo, lol.

Realistic: Trade #15 and Mike Scott to move up to #8 or #9 - both Detroit and Charlotte can use Scott's ability to stretch the floor for Drummond and Big Al respectively.

What will happen: we stay at #15 and somebody falls to us who will be the steal of the draft and our STAR (or this may be the dream scenario, lol)

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Dream scenario ...See, I'm delivering pizzas to this sorority house on draft nite and they're all like, "kg01, we don't have enough to pay but we really need these pizzas."  Then, I'm all like, "Gee ladies I'm sure we can work somethin' out."  Bowchickawowwow

Oh, OP said stay within reason ...

Dream scenario: we trade into the top 8 or so select BPA

Realistic: pick BPA at 15

Dream scenario ...See, I'm delivering pizzas to this sorority house on draft nite and they're all like, "kg01, we don't have enough to pay but we really need these pizzas." Then, I'm all like, "Gee ladies I'm sure we can work somethin' out." Bowchickawowwow

Oh, OP said stay within reason ...

Dream scenario: we trade into the top 8 or so select BPA

Realistic: pick BPA at 15

Lol wow...that would be a dream...

Dream scenario

Atlanta Hawks trade (to Denver) Dennis Schröder and a 2017 protected 1st for #7 and draft Emmanuel Mudiay.

Atlanta Hawks trade (to Charlotte) Mike Scott and the 15th pick for #9 and draft Frank Kaminsky.

The moves clear about $1million from the cap and get a potential superstar, team first point guard and an immediate replacement should Millsap walk.

Realistic Scenario

Hawks hold on to 15 and draft whichever player is left between Stanley Johnson, Frank Kaminsky and Kelly Oubre.

Nightmare Scenario

Coach bud calls in BK for a consult and decides to draft any project tweener 6-8 with a good wing-span.

Edited by thecampster

Big time dream:

- Trade away Thabo+Mack+Scott to Philly (10 M cap space opened).  Attach a couple of 2nd round picks if necessary.

- Keep Moose, renounce everyone else. Cap space should be around 34 M.

- Offer M Gasol 20 M per year, Carroll 12 M per year, Tavares 2 M per year.

- Draft K Oubre to replace Thabo. Draft Cedi Osman with the 2nd rd pick.

- Sign Pero as 3rd center for vet minimum.

Gasol - Tavares - Pero

Horford - Muscala 

Carroll - Oubre

Korver - Bazemore - Lamar Patterson

Teague - Schröder - 3rd PG (vet min)

Edited by nitte

• Premium Member

"Dream scenario within reason"

Takes advantage of the fact that the Hawks have worked out Portis and Dekker, plus Jerian Grant, and that BOS, MIL, and CHI respectively have been suspected to be targeting those players... setting up some potential for wheeling-and-dealing in draft slots 15, 16, 17 and 22 under the assumption they covet those players badly enough and that they are adequately persuaded that we would be happy to take them for ourselves.

I've also given a look at what teams have historically paid in order to move up at different slots in the first round, and by how many slots, so I'm comfortable that what I'm about to throw out there is consistent with history, though it's always as much art as it is science given all of the variables that can become involved.

So, here 'tis....

BOS gets its man, Bobby Portis, at #15... in exchange for #16 plus Kelly Olynyk ($2,165,160) and a future 2nd rounder. (With that, we say good bye to Pero for sure... not that I'm among those with a priority on trying to see that happen, but just that Olynyk seems to do for us what Antić does, except better and in a younger player.)

Then, given an assumption that Dekker is still on the board--the mock draft analysis I did in another thread in this forum pegged him at the 15 slot--we deal the #16 to MIL for them to get a home-state favorite... in exchange for #17 plus John Henson ($2,943,221) and a future 2nd rounder. (With that, we welcome the team's new designated bona fide rim protector.)

Finally, we forward MIL's #18 to CHI, where they can grab Grant (or either of Tyus Jones or Cameron Payne if they prefer)... in exchange for their #22 plus Doug McDermott ($2,380,440) and a future 2nd rounder. (With that, we gain a credible flex SF/PF, and significantly, a Korver clone in many ways gives us an alternative for those nights when Korver is not on his game.)

At #22, we potentially could have a choice of Anderson, Hunter or Vaughn, but the player I have targeted in this dream scenario is Delon Wright, the tall PG out of Utah. He’s considered a defensive beast for the position, and while he gets knocked for his shooting, his 3pt% rose from 22% in his junior year to 35% in his senior year—so I feel like that kind of improvement injects some significant hope into the equation.

Soooooo then.............

Where would all of this leave us in free agency?

First, I’m prescribing that Scott ($3,333,333), Mack ($2,433,333) and Daye ($947,276, non-guaranteed) are either part of these draft night deals or are each dispatched to other teams in turn for 2nd round compensation. It’s easy to imagine a home for Scott among any of the three, but less so for Mack. Of course, Daye can simply be cut outright regardless.

If my math is correct, we start with this: Horford, Teague, Korver, Sefolosha, Bazemore, Schröder, Muscala (non-guaranteed) and the #22 pick total is $35,616,455.

Between Olynyk, Henson and McDermott, we’re taking back 6,341,040. Add to that Millsap’s cap hold of $12,350,000, and that puts us at $54,307,495. If I understand correctly, we will need to add to this two $525,093 charges for the 11th and 12th necessary roster slots, unless we guarantee Muscala, in which case we can subtract one of those charges.

Assuming a $67,100,000 cap, and assuming Sap takes the $16,625,000 early bird contract, that leaves about $11,100,000 for DMC. Sap's contract would take us above the salary cap by about $4,275,000 to $71,375,000. As a result of being in that category, where it concerns adding other players in the event of injury, beyond the Minimum Player Salary, we would have the Non-Taxpayer ($5,464,000) and the Bi-Annual ($2,139,000) exceptions available to us.

2015-06-22_1237.png

"Most realistic"

We’ll stay put and draft one of the 1st round projected guys who we’ve worked out:  Dekker , Portis or Grant. 

Edited by sturt

• Premium Member

Yes, I enjoy dreaming, and here's why my dream lives-on this morning:

It's been or is being reported that...

1) We're talking trade... of course, for now, that's only talking moving up, but at least we're talking about moving off of 15.

2) The Celtics, Bucks and Bulls have all been engaged in trade talks about their picks

3) Celtics are hot for Love, and have a little extra incentive to be open to dealing Olynyk (who Love has made clear he despises)... and of course, I consider Olynyk to be to Antić what a new Corvette is to old Camaro... ie, does for us everything Antić does, but does it in a younger, higher-performance way.

4) Bucks are committed to signing a FA center, which some consider to be a sign that Henson is very much available... and the same analogy could mostly hold for Henson in replacing Brand.

5) Bulls are considering wing shooters, and as such, already may be prepared to move on from McDermott since he didn't claim the SF spot in his first year, and b/c they see Snell as duplicating much of what he brings to the table... and from my perspective, it's one of those fixer-upper deals... he had some injuries that kept him off the court, and no doubt, a bigger adjustment to the NBA than was anticipated... so we pick him the guy who was #11 off the board last year... a guy who looks a lot like Korver, but who has demonstrated he can score in some ways Korver doesn't... plus this year's #22... in exchange for the #17 received from the Bucks. Thusly, we'd have another Korver-like asset that could contribute, particularly when Korver's having an off-night.

6) With Luell coming over for the Rockets, that reduces the certainty that they'll select a PG with their #18, raising a little further the plausibility that Delon Wright would still be on the board @ #22 (... ie, the Bulls slot that I'd like to see us ultimately obtain)... Wright is the one player in the bunch here that doesn't actually replicate anything we currently have in the arsenal. And yet, I think it's a widely accepted notion that a tall PG with 3D skills is an asset that is coveted.

Of course, this dream has practically zero chance of working out, but zooming back, I'll be content if we merely move back, pick up some asset in exchange for having done so, and select Wright... or Grant... or Anderson.

• Premium Member

Taking comfort in the fact that it appears Budcox shared the general philosophy of my dream scenario--they traded down to acquire rookie scale assets. Just wasn't the market for multiple ones as I would have hoped.

Key was not getting more from Washington than we did, which in turn, limited what we were going to be able to acquire from New York. Perfect world, WAS was so infatuated with Oubre that they gave up both #19 and a lottery-protected future 1st, which we could then flip for Hardaway.

So, where I coveted 3 rookie scale players (Olynyk, Henson and McDermott), we only acquired 1 (Hardaway, Jr).

Where I coveted a first round draft pick (Wright), albeit in the 20s when all was said and done, we only acquired 2016 and 2019 second rounders.

Right philosophy. Unfortunately, the market didn't offer the desired selection.