• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wilcox throws jab at Bazemore?

JTB

Wilcox, who noted that this was the busiest draft night he had ever seen, said that the Hawks made a priority of finding a backup to Kyle Korver.

"We knew that in some way, whether it was now or in free agency, that we were going to look to add another player at the shooting guard position," Wilcox said. "Tim was a player that we followed for quite a while. When he became available, he just made sense."

Link:

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/hardaway-gives-hawks-desired-depth-shooting-guard

My Thoughts:

I'm good with Hardaway being here as you all know but what's this about? We now have a back up SG....did bud and Wilcox not like bazemore?....I personally thought bazemore was awesome this season especially on defense.

So what happens now? We play hardaway jr. but not bazemore at the 2?....that can't be right I'm starting to believe that Hardaway jr. has been brought in to be a tweener for sg/sf in hope that he improves enough to take korvers position that way korver can be our 6th man at SF and bazemore will be the primary back up SG....thabo will be used when needed at both spots for defense purposes

Wilcox, who noted that this was the busiest draft night he had ever seen, said that the Hawks made a priority of finding a backup to Kyle Korver.

"We knew that in some way, whether it was now or in free agency, that we were going to look to add another player at the shooting guard position," Wilcox said. "Tim was a player that we followed for quite a while. When he became available, he just made sense."

Link:

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/hardaway-gives-hawks-desired-depth-shooting-guard

My Thoughts:

I'm good with Hardaway being here as you all know but what's this about? We now have a back up SG....did bud and Wilcox not like bazemore?....I personally thought bazemore was awesome this season especially on defense.

So what happens now? We play hardaway jr. but not bazemore at the 2?....that can't be right I'm starting to believe that Hardaway jr. has been brought in to be a tweener for sg/sf in hope that he improves enough to take korvers position that way korver can be our 6th man at SF and bazemore will be the primary back up SG....thabo will be used when needed at both spots for defense purposes

If anything, this should motivate him to improve even more.

I think he meant someone who CAN shoot on Kyle`s level. (I know he didnt last season but i am guessing they think the potential is there. ) I think they initially were looking for this kind of role in Jenkins but that didnt pan out (although i was mostly impressed by JJ`s offense whenever he did get minutes, even if it was just garbage time.) Different role for Bazemire I think. I think he was supposed to be a defensive add-on. Just my guess.

He's saying we needed more offensive consistency from the shooting guard spot which is true. Especially since it's  easy to make Korver a non factor in the playoffs. We had nobody else to turn to since Baze isn't putting up points like that.

Bazemore spent more time backing up Carroll at the SF position with Thabo missing so much time.

Think back to how many minutes Jeff and Dennis played together when Kyle sat.

Having THjr alleviates the smaller 2 guard lineups.

Nah, they know the value of Bazemore. They just trying to increase the scoring output and get insurance for Korver.  I like the move, just not giving up a first rounder for Hardaway, but it was the right move.

Edited by atlhawks1
  • Like 1

Baze stepped it up late in the season but didn't look fantastic consistently thought out the season. I'm not ready to rely on him yet. He needs to develop just like Dennis and Moose.

• Moderators

We have a great backup PG for Teague in Schröder. Many feel Schröder could start for us... and that's what you want out of your backups - someone that could start at a moments notice. Bazemore has been good for us since Thabo got hurt and he was forced into the starting lineup after Dirtydova did his dirty deed to Korver... But Bazemore isn't a starter. He's a role guy that should get spot minutes and be ready when somebody gets hurt. He isn't a player that should be relied upon to come off the bench and perform. His percentages were atrocious and he seems sporadic at times on the floor. He got burnt by Smith and Shump numerous times. Hardaway Jr will be a better starter for the bench than Baze. Nothing against Baze, but he is the 13th guy on the bench. He and Mack are in the same boat.

People are reading too much into a simple comment. He said we wanted to add "another player at the SG position." That doesn't mean they aren't happy with Baze. That simply means we need more depth on the roster. Look at last year.

Thabo down with injury.

Carroll out in the playoffs

Korver out in the playoffs.

That was 3 of our only 4 real SG/SF out with injury. We had to have Millsap play some SF, Baze start there, and play 2 PG's as a backup SG to give others a rest. It's not rocket science we need another guy there for depth. I seriously doubt Hardaway cuts into Baze's minutes much, if any. Baze can still backup at SF too.

We have a great backup PG for Teague in Schröder. Many feel Schröder could start for us... and that's what you want out of your backups - someone that could start at a moments notice. Bazemore has been good for us since Thabo got hurt and he was forced into the starting lineup after Dirtydova did his dirty deed to Korver... But Bazemore isn't a starter. He's a role guy that should get spot minutes and be ready when somebody gets hurt. He isn't a player that should be relied upon to come off the bench and perform. His percentages were atrocious and he seems sporadic at times on the floor. He got burnt by Smith and Shump numerous times. Hardaway Jr will be a better starter for the bench than Baze. Nothing against Baze, but he is the 13th guy on the bench. He and Mack are in the same boat.

I think Blazemore is gonna shock a lot of Hawk fans this summer and really improve his game. His handles aren't as bad as Carrol's were before he improved. If Baze comes in and puts in the work that Carrol did, there's going to be a big improvement. Bazemore will be a better player for us next year.

• Like 4

I think Blazemore is gonna shock a lot of Hawk fans this summer and really improve his game. His handles aren't as bad as Carrol's were before he improved. If Baze comes in and puts in the work that Carrol did, there's going to be a big improvement. Bazemore will be a better player for us next year.

I agree, I think he could turn into as good of an offensive player as Carroll. He's never been with any team for more than a year or year and a half, and he seems like a good guy that will work hard. If we can develop him over then next 2-3 years I think he could be a starter at SG after Kyle. He shot 36-37% from 3 last year, if he works hard and plays more consistently I think he could shoot close to 40% from 3 and in our offense he could turn into a guy that scores 14-18 ppg. Demarre had worse numbers than baze before he got to Atlanta, and he turned into a solid starting wing.
  • Like 2