• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

SHR (Sorta-Hawks-Related) >>> Sekou praises continuity as a Spurs hallmark

sturt

• Premium Member

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/07/06/continuity-drive-spurs-success/

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS — Manu Ginobili surely couldn’t bring himself to walk away from it all, not with the very real possibility that he and his San Antonio Spurs teammates could make yet another run at a Larry O’Brien Trophy.

Manu’s decision to saddle up for another season with the Spurs only serves to reinforce the driving principle that has sustained the organization during their decade and half run of dominance. The continuity that comes with keeping the core group of a championship crew together is what allows the Spurs to absorb star talent, and sometimes discard it, and maintain their position as a league power....

The key words are championship crew. The Hawks have not put together a championship crew, well on their way but not there yet.

Yup, they have one foot in the door...lol

Ala Sap one foot out the door ..

I kid

Well, seeing as how Coach Bud felt it was more important to help his former mentor clear salary so that the spurs could HAVE that continuity instead of figuring out a way to entice Aldridge to the Hawks...................

Garbage article because Sekou know what is up................

OH!! Sekou forgot the article about how Cleveland is doing the same thing, with their wanting to sign Joe Johnson. Funny how certain teams manage to FIND ways to go over the cap, early bird, late bird, luxury tax, etc. etc. but other teams cannot.............the NBA is a joke............

Edited by atlhawks1

Well, seeing as how Coach Bud felt it was more important to help his former mentor clear salary so that the spurs could HAVE that continuity instead of figuring out a way to entice Aldridge to the Hawks...................

Garbage article because Sekou know what is up................

OH!! Sekou forgot the article about how Cleveland is doing the same thing, with their wanting to sign Joe Johnson. Funny how certain teams manage to FIND ways to go over the cap, early bird, late bird, luxury tax, etc. etc. but other teams cannot.............the NBA is a joke............

1. Aldridge had no interest in the Hawks

2. It's not as if Splitter won't fill a need for us

3. Name one FA that wasn't their own that Cleveland has signed.

4. Joe Johnson is being traded not signed.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

I can see how this sustaining and loyalty works.   Sap could have easily gone to Orlando, teamed up with Harris and been a very decent team... probably a playoff team.   However, he took less money to come back.

Shades of Ginobili.

• Like 1

I can see how this sustaining and loyalty works.   Sap could have easily gone to Orlando, teamed up with Harris and been a very decent team... probably a playoff team.   However, he took less money to come back.

Shades of Ginobili.

Thats a good point. You are correct. My problem is, ADD a big time superstar to what they already got. Pay the luxury tax IF they can. If Sap took less money, isnt that MORE money the Hawks couldve used somewhere else???

Edited by atlhawks1

1. Aldridge had no interest in the Hawks

2. It's not as if Splitter won't fill a need for us

3. Name one FA that wasn't their own that Cleveland has signed.

4. Joe Johnson is being traded not signed.

Yawn.............Either get serious and put up the money to pursuade ballers to come to Atlanta ( like the Braves did with Greg Maddox), or continue to rebuild every year..........Its that simple......

The next best thing is to go sign a player like Wesley Johnson, and that hasnt happened yet either. They at least got to do that.

Edited by atlhawks1

Thats a good point. You are correct. My problem is, ADD a big time superstar to what they already got. Pay the luxury tax IF they can. If Sap took less money, isnt that MORE money the Hawks couldve used somewhere else???

Sap did not take less money per year, he took a year less over the entire deal. 3 yrs from the Hawks, 4 years from the magic, annual raise of 7.5% from Hawks, 4.5% from Magic.

Starting max salary if $18.8 million.

Basic CBA stuff and math

Yawn.............Either get serious and put up the money to pursuade ballers to come to Atlanta ( like the Braves did with Greg Maddox), or continue to rebuild every year..........Its that simple......

The next best thing is to go sign a player like Wesley Johnson, and that hasnt happened yet either. They at least got to do that.

Sigh

Sap did not take less money per year, he took a year less over the entire deal. 3 yrs from the Hawks, 4 years from the magic, annual raise of 7.5% from Hawks, 4.5% from Magic.

Starting max salary if $18.8 million.

Basic CBA stuff and math

Sigh

Does it matter if he took less this year, next year, three years down the road??? He took LESS............LMAO

I just AGREED with the poster that said Sap took less money...........

sigh.........

Edited by atlhawks1

Does it matter if he took less this year, next year, three years down the road??? He took LESS............LMAO

I just AGREED with the poster that said Sap took less money...........

sigh.........

Dude you said Sap took LESS money so there should be MORE money available to spend now - I explained why their isn't.

You still have no understanding of how teams get into the position to pay the Luxury Tax. When you do, you'll say.....aaaahhhhh!

Until you do I'm done with this convo.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

The key words are championship crew. The Hawks have not put together a championship crew, well on their way but not there yet.

Like it or not, continuity is an explicit guiding principle of this franchise already.

I think good outcomes naturally flow from good guiding principles.

So, I'm bullish on where this is headed.

• Like 2

Dude you said Sap took LESS money so there should be MORE money available to spend now - I explained why their isn't.

You still have no understanding of how teams get into the position to pay the Luxury Tax. When you do, you'll say.....aaaahhhhh!

Until you do I'm done with this convo.

Let me break this down in kindergarden. The Hawks have been in Atlanta over 40 years without a championship. In that time, they have had TWO what you would call premium, superstar players: Dominique Wilkins and Mutumbo. What im saying is the HAWKS need to figure out how to work that salary cap and get ANOTHER superstar into Atlanta. Its always a excuse. Always next year.

Danny Ferry cleared out all that space when he first took the job and had everybody thinking they was gonna make a run at a premium free agent. He didnt. There IS NO next year or working the salary cap with the Hawks. The Hawks wanna build around next tier players and hope their SYSTEM brings the chip home, but i say it will not. ( see lebron james, see wade, see curry, etc.) ....

Edited by atlhawks1

• Moderators

Let me break this down in kindergarden. The Hawks have been in Atlanta over 40 years without a championship. In that time, they have had TWO what you would call premium, superstar players: Dominique Wilkins and Mutumbo. What im saying is the HAWKS need to figure out how to work that salary cap and get ANOTHER superstar into Atlanta. Its always a excuse. Always next year.

Danny Ferry cleared out all that space when he first took the job and had everybody thinking they was gonna make a run at a premium free agent. He didnt. There IS NO next year or working the salary cap with the Hawks. The Hawks wanna build around next tier players and hope their SYSTEM brings the chip home, but i say it will not. ( see lebron james, see wade, see curry, etc.) ....

Your being rude to one of our nicest and best posters on a salary cap issue that your don't really understand should be a big indicator that you need to step back and take deep breath before continuing on this topic.  Read @hawksfanatic's posts, read Larry Coon's FAQ, and get yourself up to speed on the cap.  When you have a better understanding on the cap, you will not be as frustrated by what likely seems like very unfair discrepancies between teams.  The NBA is very different from MLB and the NFL.  

The Squawk is actually a good forum for educating yourself on how the NBA cap works.  I definitely have come a long way in that regard - long enough to realize that I still have more to understand.  You'll get there but give it some time.

• Like 2

Your being rude to one of our nicest and best posters on a salary cap issue that your don't really understand should be a big indicator that you need to step back and take deep breath before continuing on this topic.  Read @hawksfanatic's posts, read Larry Coon's FAQ, and get yourself up to speed on the cap.  When you have a better understanding on the cap, you will not be as frustrated by what likely seems like very unfair discrepancies between teams.  The NBA is very different from MLB and the NFL.  

The Squawk is actually a good forum for educating yourself on how the NBA cap works.  I definitely have come a long way in that regard - long enough to realize that I still have more to understand.  You'll get there but give it some time.

Understanding the salary cap isnt my issue. My issue is that from hawks HISTORY, even when they have room to REALLY maneuver with the cap situation, they DONT. The Hawks could have the MOST cap to work with next year, and STILL, they go after second and third tier free agents. History has shown that with the Hawks and believe new ownership will do the same...... How much cap space did Danny Ferry clear up, having Hawks fans thinking they were gonna shoot for top tier free agents, only to sign DMC and Sap???

Edited by atlhawks1

• Premium Member

Essentially, more of the same... but very interesting story-telling...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10955188/gregg-popovich-tim-duncan-stories

it's all about relationships... and relationships are all about continuity... who you know you can trust.

Maybe some day we'll be reading an ESPN article about how important to all of the Hawks' success was Bud's way-back decision to show-up at a hip-hop concert.

• Like 2

Essentially, more of the same... but very interesting story-telling...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10955188/gregg-popovich-tim-duncan-stories

it's all about relationships... and relationships are all about continuity... who you know you can trust.

Maybe some day we'll be reading an ESPN article about how important to all of the Hawks' success was Bud's way-back decision to show-up at a hip-hop concert.

I remember that article.

• Moderators

Understanding the salary cap isnt my issue. My issue is that from hawks HISTORY, even when they have room to REALLY maneuver with the cap situation, they DONT. The Hawks could have the MOST cap to work with next year, and STILL, they go after second and third tier free agents. History has shown that with the Hawks and believe new ownership will do the same...... How much cap space did Danny Ferry clear up, having Hawks fans thinking they were gonna shoot for top tier free agents, only to sign DMC and Sap???

Understanding the cap is your issue if you think other teams don't have to maneuver with the cap.  The exact same rules apply to every team.  The differences derive precisely from how teams do their maneuvering.  I keep seeing you reference us needing to sign a big FA when clearly the team doesn't even have the room to get a MLE FA.  A team like the Cavs that positioned themselves with bird rights on tons of guys and didn't create cap space has the ability to do and spend a lot more than we do this year.  We couldn't spend even close to them this year because we created cap room for this offseason.  Each approach has costs and benefits but the same rules apply to both teams.

• Like 2

Understanding the cap is your issue if you think other teams don't have to maneuver with the cap.  The exact same rules apply to every team.  The differences derive precisely from how teams do their maneuvering.  I keep seeing you reference us needing to sign a big FA when clearly the team doesn't even have the room to get a MLE FA.  A team like the Cavs that positioned themselves with bird rights on tons of guys and didn't create cap space has the ability to do and spend a lot more than we do this year.  We couldn't spend even close to them this year because we created cap room for this offseason.  Each approach has costs and benefits but the same rules apply to both teams.

For the LAST time, im not talking about just THIS off season. Its ALWAYS been that way with the Hawks. So, what you are saying, in 40 plus years, the Hawks have had cap issues...............lmao. THATS MY POINT. They had MEGA cap room after Ferry cleared all that space when he dumped those salaries............and did NOT get or EVEN SEEK a first tier free agent. Bud is gonna do the same next year.......