2015-16 Atlanta Hawks Offseason Watchlist

NBASupes

Our off-season options: 

The biggest date so far is July 8th. That is the date we find out what the cap is. It could be 67.1 or it could be 69.1 and maybe higher. Depending on what it is effects are next moves. 

1. Cut Austin Daye. No matter what, we are likely to be over the cap unless it's 70.2 mil or over. Austin must be cut before the trade/signing can become official. Likelihood: Highly likely

2. Trade Shelvin Mack. Depending on the cap, Shelvin along with Austin could be a cap causality. It's not as likely due to the facts the Hawks like what he brings to the table as a 3rd PG and a reliable backup. Likelihood: Likely

3. Trade Mike Scott. See Shelvin. Even less likely as he is a solid backup forward is a scoring jolt off the bench who plays avg defense. His trade value is decent so he will be able to clear cap without use losing something in the process. Likelihood: Average

4. Trade Mike Muscala. He has a GREAT contract for his value and has plus value around the league. He is easy to add to a roster for any team and he profiles as an avg backup center which is a plus trade position. While it's extremely unlikely he will be cut or traded for cap reasons, it is likely he will generate a lot of interest for SnT interest for players we covet like Wes Johnson, Dorell Wright, Wilson Chandler, etc. Likelihood: Likely  

Outside moves: 

1. SnT for a vet SF (Not OLD) or a SF on someone's roster who fits and we can develop to the next level. We need their bird rights so a SnT is only feasible. That includes, Wes Johnson, Dorell Wright and Alonzo Gee which isn't that impressive of a list. As we all know Wilson Chandler is the key trade player but the price is high (two first round picks). See if Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is on the market. Look into Moe Harkless.

2. We still have the room exception. I think we will look at a PF who is more defensive minded. A player like Chuck Hayes, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, etc. There is a chance we could look at a SF but it's unlikely since we need their bird rights. 

Summer League: 

1. See Edy's development. 

2. See Lamar's development. 

3. How good in Moser in our system and is he someone who could become a good NBA player?  

4. Is Kane a NBA PG? 

5. Is Greg Smith more than good enough to fill our backup PF needs and get us NOT to use our room exception?

Organization wide

1. Who is going to be our new trainers? 

2. How will Ressler and Hill adjust to ownership? 

3. How will the players react to their recent success and how to go even further from development within? 

4. How will Bud and Wilcox adjust to their jobs after year 1? 

5. How do we keep Horford back as he will be a top 3 FA in 2016? 
Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

The reason why you want to keep the room in your back pocket because you never know who will be released or available for trade around All Star Weekend. You might want to keep the exception and not use it this part of the year. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member

I would not trade Mike Muscala since he is the only legit stretch big on the team.

Al Horford CAN stretch it out, but not very often.

Paul Millsap is good at it, but prefers to drive into the paint.

Muscala has a quick release and will open up the floor for our bench.

But who knows?

I wondered why they were giving Mike Scott's minutes to him, maybe he was better or  maybe they wanted suitors to trade for him, not likely

I believe it was the Peachtreehoops piece that said Daye is more valuable as a trade piece due to his contract. He can cut more off another team's cap than ours. Hopefully we have a trade worked out already. I'd just as soon keep all these guys around but that looks impossible. What does a possible waiver of Splitter's trade kicker do to that 70.2 mil figure?

• Like 1

I would not trade Mike Muscala since he is the only legit stretch big on the team.

Al Horford CAN stretch it out, but not very often.

Paul Millsap is good at it, but prefers to drive into the paint.

Muscala has a quick release and will open up the floor for our bench.

But who knows?

I wondered why they were giving Mike Scott's minutes to him, maybe he was better or  maybe they wanted suitors to trade for him, not likely

This isn't true. Horf and Sap is prototypical stretch 4's. 

I believe it was the Peachtreehoops piece that said Daye is more valuable as a trade piece due to his contract. He can cut more off another team's cap than ours. Hopefully we have a trade worked out already. I'd just as soon keep all these guys around but that looks impossible. What does a possible waiver of Splitter's trade kicker do to that 70.2 mil figure?

That's the ideal

• Moderators

I'm down with trading just about anyone in the right deal obviously.  But i'd trade Moose, Mack, Daye, Taveres to bring back proven NBA talent.   Not that i want to completely mortgage the future but we are in win now mode and the ceiling on these guys isn't that high or guaranteed.   

I'm down with trading just about anyone in the right deal obviously.  But i'd trade Moose, Mack, Daye, Taveres to bring back proven NBA talent.   Not that i want to completely mortgage the future but we are in win now mode and the ceiling on these guys isn't that high or guaranteed.   

Not even close to okay to trading Edy. Not even close. Too much talent and potential. 

• Like 1

Yes. He's that gifted. He has his clearly limits but he has clear upside greater than most on this team.

You provided a ton of good info on him throughout the year, much appreciated, as well as videos which I've watched. I still feel like I can't comment on him and just trust your instincts on this.

I will say the one thing that I've been surprised by in the videos that I've watched of him on the tube is his explosiveness. Now don't get me wrong, he's not some crazy explosive athlete BUT for a guy his size his ability to get off the floor so quickly and recover with the ease that he can is really impressive. Add to that his massive wingspan and great NBA body and I think this guy can be special. I hate to add to the hype train but the more you watch him you kind of can't help it. He has a bounce in his step that is not typical of guys his size. Think of Roy Hibbert being able to move like Chandler

• Like 1

I will say the one thing that I've been surprised by in the videos that I've watched of him on the tube is his explosiveness. Now don't get me wrong, he's not some crazy explosive athlete BUT for a guy his size his ability to get off the floor so quickly and recover with the ease that he can is really impressive. Add to that his massive wingspan and great NBA body and I think this guy can be special. I hate to add to the hype train but the more you watch him you kind of can't help it. He has a bounce in his step that is not typical of guys his size. Think of Roy Hibbert being able to move like Chandler

I hope and pray you and NBASupes are right, cause you guys have sucked me in.

I do like that he's not a lumbering big for his size and he isn't a Sean Bradley-esque bean pole

Can't wait for summer league to see him.

I hope and pray you and NBASupes are right, cause you guys have sucked me in.

I do like that he's not a lumbering big for his size and he isn't a Sean Bradley-esque bean pole

Can't wait for summer league to see him.

You will see. He really is a much better player. Like I said before, the biggest jump in our organization outside of Dennis improvement. 

• Like 1

You will see. He really is a much better player. Like I said before, the biggest jump in our organization outside of Dennis improvement.

Ok, I'm holding you to this.

Who does he compare to?

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Damn he's THAT good?

Thought I read where he was the top C in the entire Spanish League this past season. Which is 2nd only to the NBA. I don't care about his offense, if he can block shots and rebound it'll make a huge difference. I'm fine with his points coming from junk/dunks around the basket.

• Like 1

Ok, I'm holding you to this.

Who does he compare to?

I don't have someone in the NBA. I would say a Bulls version Omer Asik but more athletic, longer, stronger and taller. He's not as polished as today's Asik. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

Like supes said I can't really think of a comparison but the hype is real @JayBirdHawk. He gets off the floor so quickly and it's crazy to see that at his size. The free throw shooting gives me hope that he can develop some kind of face up game as well. It may take a couple of years but this guy should be damn good for us

What you talking about @NBASupes

• Like 3