Where is Hardaway?

Hawkmoor

• Moderators
23 hours ago, macdaddy said:

This is great news from Bud in my opinion.   He wants a ginobili or at least a Jamal crawford off the bench.   We have 3&d guys out the wazoo.   I'm expecting we'll start to see the real Hardaway soon.   It may be kind of ugly at first but if he can find a groove now it will pay off for us later.    His terrible shooting numbers in d-league i'm sure were partly the result of being told to just let it fly.  

I remember when Jamal Crawford and Ginobili put up their 1-14 3pt performances in the D-League and then broke out into stud sixth men.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, AHF said:

I remember when Jamal Crawford and Ginobili put up their 1-14 3pt performances in the D-League and then broke out into stud sixth men.  

That's funny.   But i never said he would be like those guys.  Just that that is what Bud wants.    Yeah there is very little chance he's as good as either of those guys.   Of course Manu played professionally for years in  Europe before hitting the nba so it's not like he didn't have plenty of development time in lesser leagues.   Of course i think he was mvp of those leagues but still.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

That's funny.   But i never said he would be like those guys.  Just that that is what Bud wants.    Yeah there is very little chance he's as good as either of those guys.   Of course Manu played professionally for years in  Europe before hitting the nba so it's not like he didn't have plenty of development time in lesser leagues.   Of course i think he was mvp of those leagues but still.

Viewing Jamal Crawford as the lesser of those two talents, I think Bud is realistic enough to know he didn't get JCraw2.0.  If he did, THJr would be playing.  I just see no reason for optimism right now.  I do think it is possible we are already seeing the "real" Hardaway, although I can't believe he can keep up shooting this pathetic over the long-term.  His combined NBA and DLeague numbers make Patterson look like Steph Curry.

• Moderators
Just now, AHF said:

Viewing Jamal Crawford as the lesser of those two talents, I think Bud is realistic enough to know he didn't get JCraw2.0.  If he did, THJr would be playing.  I just see no reason for optimism right now.  I do think it is possible we are already seeing the "real" Hardaway, although I can't believe he can keep up shooting this pathetic over the long-term.  His combined NBA and DLeague numbers make Patterson look like Steph Curry.

Agreed but i don't think we got him to be a great shooter and Jamal is that.   I think we got him to be a guy who can create a shot and get to the basket, get to the line.   The dude has offensive skills and while this may end up being a bad trade I'm not believing that Hardaway will never contribute at all as a Hawk even if he doesn't end up being a great.   In other words he's a project but I think Bud is right that Hardaway's ceiling is way higher than Patterson, Holiday, maybe even Baze but that doesn't mean he'll get there. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, macdaddy said:

In other words he's a project but I think Bud is right that Hardaway's ceiling is way higher than Patterson, Holiday, maybe even Baze but that doesn't mean he'll get there. 

I'm not sure Bud really thinks that.  If he did, I would think he would reserve 8 minutes a game or some other number to be used to develop THJr.  We will make the playoffs - we need to have the weapons ready to win when we get there.  If he believes THJr will be the best non-starting wing on the team (granting that Thabo is your real starter at SF) then reserving some minutes for him is like letting our vets get some rest of the course of the season.  It may cost you a little in the short-term but it is well worth the trade-off for giving the team its best chance to win in the post-season.  The fact that THJr has somewhere between 10 and 25% of the minutes of each of Bazemore, Patterson and Holiday makes me think that Bud doesn't view him as having so much more potential because if he did he would be place a higher priority on developing it -- especially early in the season when Thabo and KK need rest after their offseason dealing with serious injuries.

I do hope I'm wrong on this and Bud sees both THJr's near term blossoming and his path to a significant role in the rotation, but I just don't see it right now.

On 12/5/2015, 8:52:48, NBASupes said:

We need a new GM. Bud needs to stick to coaching. 

Why would you trade the number 15 pick in the draft for a guy that you put into d league?  bud know he would have to be developed?  There was NOBODY on the board that could have sat on the hawks bench and got FIVE minutes?  At 15?

THIS IS WHY I clown the decisions they are making. It's as if they don't wanna get over the top....

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, AHF said:

I'm not sure Bud really thinks that.  If he did, I would think he would reserve 8 minutes a game or some other number to be used to develop THJr.  We will make the playoffs - we need to have the weapons ready to win when we get there.  If he believes THJr will be the best non-starting wing on the team (granting that Thabo is your real starter at SF) then reserving some minutes for him is like letting our vets get some rest of the course of the season.  It may cost you a little in the short-term but it is well worth the trade-off for giving the team its best chance to win in the post-season.  The fact that THJr has somewhere between 10 and 25% of the minutes of each of Bazemore, Patterson and Holiday makes me think that Bud doesn't view him as having so much more potential because if he did he would be place a higher priority on developing it -- especially early in the season when Thabo and KK need rest after their offseason dealing with serious injuries.

I do hope I'm wrong on this and Bud sees both THJr's near term blossoming and his path to a significant role in the rotation, but I just don't see it right now.

Obviously I really don't know and i can totally see this point of view.  Looking through rose colored glasses I'd say that Bud didn't want to get off to a bad start and doesn't want to play a guy who's not showing it in practice as well as the guys he's competing against.   In fact, he's said as much.   So I think he probably still believes in him but he wants him to earn it.     The only reason I still feel this way is that they had 2 years of pretty big minutes of NBA experience to evaluate him on.   He's faced NBA competition and done pretty damn well.    Guys with similar or less NBA experience have come in here and excelled: Baze and Demarre basically.    So if they were wrong about Hardaway then yeah that's a pretty major screw up.     I just think the plan for him is to be more than a 10 minute a night guy and they have some milestones they want to see from him before they put him out there because they think they'll get the most return that way.     I think this is all about making him work for it and work hard for it.    These guys with lesser talent were already working their ass off just to get to the nba.    I don't think that was the case with Hardaway.

• Like 1

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Obviously I really don't know and i can totally see this point of view.  Looking through rose colored glasses I'd say that Bud didn't want to get off to a bad start and doesn't want to play a guy who's not showing it in practice as well as the guys he's competing against.   In fact, he's said as much.   So I think he probably still believes in him but he wants him to earn it.     The only reason I still feel this way is that they had 2 years of pretty big minutes of NBA experience to evaluate him on.   He's faced NBA competition and done pretty damn well.    Guys with similar or less NBA experience have come in here and excelled: Baze and Demarre basically.    So if they were wrong about Hardaway then yeah that's a pretty major screw up.     I just think the plan for him is to be more than a 10 minute a night guy and they have some milestones they want to see from him before they put him out there because they think they'll get the most return that way.     I think this is all about making him work for it and work hard for it.    These guys with lesser talent were already working their ass off just to get to the nba.    I don't think that was the case with Hardaway.

I agree with the bolded part. 

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, farmboy7 said:

Forget Hardaway. Bring back Petteway. 

Mad Ants guard Terran Petteway dominates in star-studded D-League matchup

Some thoughts in the article on Hardaway and Tavares as well.

The D-League review on THJr's game:

Tim Hardaway Jr.: Bad shot after bad shot after bad shot. It was Hardaway’s first game with a brand new set of teammates, and that’s not insignificant. Regardless, a poor night from him offensively.

The D-League review on Edy:

Edy Tavares: Not a great performance from him statistically, but Fort Wayne wanted little to do with the lane when Tavares was in the game. He lumbers down the floor and is slow laterally — way too slow for the NBA right now. Tavares needs D-League work, but he’s only 23. Again, patience.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, AHF said:

The D-League review on THJr's game:

The D-League review on Edy:

I'd be more concerned with Edy if quickness is his biggest problem.   I'm not a pro athlete but I didn't get any faster after i was 23 years old.   In fact, quite the opposite.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I'd be more concerned with Edy if quickness is his biggest problem.   I'm not a pro athlete but I didn't get any faster after i was 23 years old.   In fact, quite the opposite.

Me either.  I can't imagine him being slower than Muresan.  Speaking of which...

I think I might be coming over to the dark side on this Hardaway deal. Looking worse and worse with every passing day.

And damn, if Pettaway ain't tearing things up. I really liked that kid.  It's tough to be an Atlanta fan, that's for sure. Bad move, followed by bad luck, followed by more bad moves.

Maybe I should start following the WNBA. At least we have much better odds there. There's some fine ass giant women,too. And I always liked climbing trees, so there's that.

12 hours ago, LamarHampton said:

I think I might be coming over to the dark side on this Hardaway deal. Looking worse and worse with every passing day.

And damn, if Pettaway ain't tearing things up. I really liked that kid.  It's tough to be an Atlanta fan, that's for sure. Bad move, followed by bad luck, followed by more bad moves.

Maybe I should start following the WNBA. At least we have much better odds there. There's some fine ass giant women,too. And I always liked climbing trees, so there's that.

gulp.......WHICH one??????? LMAO

starters.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/10/2015, 9:51:23, macdaddy said:

I hope this is on the right track...

Wherever he is physically, we can say with confidence his mind isn't with the team.  Patterson getting much more run than he has is an utter embarrassment.  Everyone knows JR is troubled, but maybe Phil was right when he sh$tted on Tim out the door.  An inefficient 7-man rotational guy for the Knicks can't even dress out for the Hawks.

22 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Wherever he is physically, we can say with confidence his mind isn't with the team.  Patterson getting much more run than he has is an utter embarrassment.  Everyone knows JR is troubled, but maybe Phil was right when he sh$tted on Tim out the door.  An inefficient 7-man rotational guy for the Knicks can't even dress out for the Hawks.

tim-hardaway-jr-3-and-air-guitar-against