• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A Game of Sum of Parts

AmishBoy

The idea behind the Hawks is that they are better than the sum of their parts.  The question then becomes is this sum greater than the Cavs.  Here is the math.

Cavs

Lebron - 10.  Everthing is based off him being the highest.

Love -8

Kyrie-8

Jr Smith -5

Tristan Thomas -5

A total of 36.

The Hawks.

Millsap -8

Jeff-7

Horford -7

Korver -5

Bazmore -4

A total of 31.  If the sum is greater, is it 5points greater.  I have a hard time thinking it is.  I give it 2 to 3 points.  I hope I'm wrong but if not, how do we make up for it in the summer?

7 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

Kudos to actually getting the "sum of the parts" right, but this is just strange. Can't believe I'm agreeing with @AHF here...

I didn't want to say that out loud.  Can you imagine him sitting at his desktop abstaining from jumping into a nimbers discussion?  That's unheard of.  He's probably having withdrawal symptoms.

@AmishBoy I get what you're trying to illustrate but I think it would've been a fine discussion without trying to quantify it.  Folks here *ahem* @AHF *cough* are waaaaaay too anal retentive about "analytics".  Now they wanna know what scale you're using, what's your thesis behind the scale, how much data supported your thesis, where did you obtain the data from, what method drove your data gathering, blah, blah, on and on and on .....

Are the Hawks "sum" better than the Cavs "parts"?  I'd say it comes down to factors that can't be quantified.  Focus, energy, desire.  Will Teague come out focused and in attack mode?  Will Sap have the energy to contribute at a high level on O as well as on D.  Does Alice have the desire to keep the Calfs off the offensive boards?

We'll know the answers to those questions by about 2 minutes into the game IMHO.

19 minutes ago, kg01 said:

@AmishBoy I get what you're trying to illustrate but I think it would've been a fine discussion without trying to quantify it.  Folks here *ahem* @AHF *cough* are waaaaaay too anal retentive about "analytics".  Now they wanna know what scale you're using, what's your thesis behind the scale, how much data supported your thesis, where did you obtain the data from, what method drove your data gathering, blah, blah, on and on and on .....

Lol.  Yeah, uh...it's not that serious.  The point is we need more talent and where can we place it.

Yeah - this is :huh:............................but I'll play.

The only thing that matters is they have LeBron we don't.  Without LeBron every one of those players numbers would be significantly lower. 

I get the point but you can't really quantify things come playoff time, as @JayBirdHawk mentions you just can't quantify some of this stuff.  The Raptors look very good using this system but we see how well they've done so far in the playoffs.

Also, how is Bazemore rated lower than Kyle?  Yes, Kyle is a better shooter but Bazemore is above him on almost every other aspect.

Lebron ain't even thinking about the Hawks.  He's already looking forward to quieting the critics who say Wade is more of a killer than he.  Our killer is a 172 pound kid who can't shoot.

Love, Thompson, and Kyrie are all quite flawed and nowhere near as versatile as Al and Sap.  They are Masters of Their Trade though (Stretch 4ing, Glass eating, and isolation scoring).  It's simply a better set-up around LeBron than the Hawks' system of 2 Jacks.  Jeff is just a 7 card, Kyle is approaching Joker status.

Edited by benhillboy