• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tuesday Insider -- Babs "My hands are tied"

Admin

BOSTON -- You're Chris Wallace, general manager of the Celtics.

The good news is that after years of annual lottery appearances, your team was just two games away from the NBA Finals last spring. You have two of the brightest stars in the NBA, Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker. You have a sold out arena, a solid coach and a surprisingly effective supporting cast.

Your mission this summer is simple. Find that missing piece that will put the Celtics over the top and into the NBA Finals.

Now here comes the bad news. You have five players who will be free agents, including two, Rodney Rogers and Erick Strickland, who played major roles in your playoff run. You have no money to re-sign them. Nor do you have money to spend on free agents because your team is capped out and your owner refuses to pay the dreaded luxury tax. That's why you're looking at Bruno Sundov and Damon Jones instead of Rasho Nesterovic and Travis Best. To make matters worse, you had no first-round pick this year in what was widely considered a very deep draft. Your point guard will be 32 at the end of the season and is in the last year of his contract.

That's why Wallace, along with several other high profile GM's, are here in Boston, watching summer league games while high-profile free agents like Michael Olowokandi and Rashard Lewis twist in the wind.

Wallace's mission at Shaw's? He's looking for an impact player amidst a motley crew of second-round picks and undrafted free agents. A revelation if you will. In the past, they've been few and far between. Summer league participants play on the cheap, but there's always a reason.

"I honestly don't know if there's an impact player here," Wallace tells Insider as he watches his Celtics beat the Nets Monday night 81-69 in a rematch of the Eastern Conference Finals. "We're searching, hoping. The summer league is about dreams. Unfortunately, my job is to be realistic. We won't be a big player in free agency this year. We just can't afford it."

Wallace isn't the only GM here who has an owner who is fed up with paying unproven talent big bucks. Bucks GM Ernie Grunfeld is trying to get his team back into the playoffs with a limited budget. Hawks GM Pete Babcock has been telling free agents for weeks that his hands are tied. T-Wolves VP Kevin McHale is still trying to figure out how to keep Nesterovic, find another point guard and add another top-notch player without incurring the luxury tax.

As of late Monday night, teams still have no idea what the cap will be for next season Wallace said. That's one reason why this year's free agents are getting the same message wherever they go -- if you can find more money elsewhere . . . take it.

Is this the end of free agency as we know it? Have the owners finally gotten their out of control spending under control?

"The economics of the game have changed, and the hardest thing to do is to get the players and the agents to understand that," said McHale. "My portfolio was a lot better before the market went to hell, but it is what it is."

So far, free agents haven't seen much green. That's why Knicks president Scott Layden may be the most popular man in Boston. The Knicks are one of the few teams left in the NBA willing to do whatever it takes. They currently sport the largest payroll in the NBA, topping $90 million. If and when the luxury tax comes, they'll be sending the NBA a check in the neighborhood of $35 million for that privilege. But Layden has his own problems. Most of the free agents he likes, from Nesterovic to Jerome James and Keon Clark, are restricted free agents. The T-Wolves, Sonics and Raptors have all given indications they'll match any offer up to the mid-level exception.

When the NBA lifts its moratorium tonight at midnight ET, don't expect any real shocks.

Mike Bibby is close to working out his max deal with the Kings. The Mavs and Raef LaFrentz are close to a seven-year, $60 million contract. The Pistons will sign Chauncey Billups to a six-year, $35 dollar deal. And the Spurs will take care of Malik Rose and Bruce Bowen. After that, everything else is less certain.

Sonics coach Nate McMillan, who was attending the summer league, told Insider that Sonics president Wally Walker and GM Rick Sund have been in Houston all week trying to secure a deal for Rashard Lewis.

McMillan said that he's talked to Lewis and he wants to return to Seattle. "He wants to be here and I want him here. It's now just up to Rick [sund] to do his part now. I think everything will work itself out."

Lewis is reportedly seeking a maximum deal while the Sonics are offering him a contract for six years, $55 million. That's a $30 million gap. McMillan, however, said he didn't think the gulf was that wide anymore. He also told Insider, in somewhat of a surprising revelation, that he'd been told that the Sonics will match any mid-level exception offer for James.

The Knicks, Grizzlies, Blazers, Kings and Raptors have all taking a liking to James as well, but may be scared off from offering him their mid-level exception if the Sonics keep maintaining that they'll match. The Warriors did that quite effectively with Marc Jackson last summer, driving down his value.

League sources also told Insider that the T-Wolves are still in hot pursuit of Devean George and are willing to pony up their full mid-level exception -- six years, $35 million. However, George is still undecided. He met with the Nets Monday and is still considering the Wizards and the Lakers.

Other top free agents such as Keon Clark, Bonzi Wells, Larry Hughes, Rodney Rogers and Jeff McInnis are still waiting for that big offer that may never come.

NBA free agency brings little enthusiasm

Sekou Smith / Indianapolis Star

Can Karl stop the Bucks bleeding?

George Karl said he's going to put a stop to all of the nonsense that plagued the Bucks last season.

"I'd like to get back to playing more like George Karl wants to play than maybe me compromising and letting them play the way they like to play," Karl told the Boston Globe. "But that's easy to say. I don't think we had a bad year last year. I think we had a disappointing year. And I think there's a difference."

Exactly how will he do that?

"The only way I know: nose to nose," he said. "Will that be ugly? Could be. But I've been in tough situations before and I'm not gonna back off from playing the game right way."

Karl also told reporters that the team is listening to trade offers. "We might be listening more than we did last year," Karl told the New York Daily News. "But there's a good chance we'll go to camp with the same team we had last year."

And is there any interest in a possible Latrell Sprewell-for-Glenn Robinson trade that has been circulating around the league for the last month? "Hell, yeah."

"That's Ernie's area," Karl said of GM Ernie Grunfeld "Right now, we're willing to listen to anything."

Karl hopes Bucks' slide will stop here

Peter May / Boston Globe

Bucks Like Idea of Spree

Frank Isola / New York Daily News

Cavs owner tries to dispel rumors

Cavs owner Gordan Gund tried to put rumors that his team was for sale to rest Monday. But Cavs GM Jim Paxson couldn't dispel ongoing reports that the team was still trying to trade Andre Miller.

"I don't have any intention to sell the team," Gund told the Akron Beacon Journal. "I have said right along that any business that I have is at some price for sale, and so are the Cavs. But I'm not stripping the team to sell it like several [media members] have said."

Gund also said that Miller was not on the trading block. "We are not trying to trade Andre Miller," Gund said. "He's well known, and people would like to have him on their team, so they make inquiries. If we get one, as we thought might be the case with the Clippers, that would make us a better team than we were before because we got two pieces or more, we'd have to look at it. Nobody is untouchable."

Paxson, however, seemed to echo the "nobody is untouchable" portion of Gund's statements. "I've had a lot of calls and I'm not doing my job unless I'm talking to teams. I don't think anybody on our team is untouchable. Trying to trade him is that I'm calling all 28 teams and saying, 'What will you give for Andre Miller?' That's never been the case.... If we choose to trade Andre at some point, I've been pretty straightforward that we need to get two young players."

Gund tees off on rumors

Chris Tomasson / Akron Beacon Journal

Summer League Update

The Shaw's Pro Summer League got underway Monday.

The Hawks defeated the Spurs in the opening game. Dion Glover scored 21 points and handed out four assists and Udonis Haslem pulled down 13 rebounds to lead the Hawks. Veteran point guard Anthony Goldwire led the Spurs with 18 points, and Stephen Jackson chipped in 16. First-round pick Dan Dickau struggled in his first game, going just 2-for-7 from the field with four turnovers.

In the second game, the Bucks defeated the Wizards 81-69. Point guard Mike Wilks led the Bucks with 11 points. Marcus Goree added 13 and nine boards while Dan Gadzuric scored 11 with nine boards for the Bucks. Rookie guard Juan Dixon led the Wizards with 11 points.

Game three saw the Celtics upset the Nets 81-69. Joe Forte led the way the Celtics scoring 14 points. The Nets were lead by Richard Jefferson, who scored 19 points and grabbed eight boards and Brandon Armstrongm, who scored 16.

In the nightcap, the Knicks defeated the Sixers 77-57. Jamel Thomas led the way for the Knicks with 27 points and six rebounds. The Sixers' Damone Brown scored 14 points in the losing effort.

Out West at the L.A. Summer Pro League, the Grizzlies defeated the Clippers 113-96. Drew Gooden had another solid outing, putting up 19 points and nine rebounds and free agent Fred House led the way with 29 points. The Clippers' Tremaine Fowkles led all scorers with 33 points.

In the other game, the Suns beat the Lakers 95-91 behind strong performance by Joe Johnson (24 points) and Casey Jacobsen (14 points). Alton Ford chipped in 11 rebounds and Amare Stoudemire had another impressive outing, scoring 13 points and grabbing seven rebounds in 26 minutes. Mark Madsen led the way for the Lakers with 20 points and seven boards.

Check out Insider's Pro Summer League , Shaw's Pro Summer League and Orlando Summer Pro League pages for rosters, leaders and box scores.

Wizards' Jeffries is making an impression

Steve Wyche / Washington Post

Jefferson Vows That No One Will Outwork Him

Liz Robbins / New York Times

Players seek to make a name

Shira Springer / Boston Globe

Peep Show

Lakers: GM Mitch Kupchak hoped to spend this summer locating a more conventional backup to Shaq. While he has offers to free agents Arvydas Sabonis, Popeye Jones and Charles Oakley, Kupchak might be more inclined to sign a guard now that it looks like Devean George will be playing elsewhere, the L.A. Times reported. His No. 1 target, Greg Buckner, is also having serious discussions with the Sixers.

Raptors: Keon Clark isn't going to wait too long when the NBA free-agent doors open Wednesday. Clark is expected to make up his mind quickly about his future. "There isn't anything really new today," Jim Mourer, Clark's agent, told the Toronto Star. "[but] I would expect something to happen soon." GM Glen Grunwald didn't sound so sure. "It's not like anyone's having some revelations," Grunwald said. "We're just working away."

Celtics: The Celtics are still talking with Rodney Rogers, but it's a waiting game at this point, GM Chris Wallace told Insider. What happens if Rogers chooses to sign elsewhere? "We still won't be a big player in free agency. Rodney has been here and we're comfortable giving him a little more money. It's different with a guy from the outside, I don't think we'd spend the money." . . . J.R. Bremer was good, Joe Forte didn't get a chance to play the point and Omar Cook was just OK, but the Celtics' summer league search for a point guard may be moot if they decide to sign Pistons free agent Damon Jones Wednesday. Jones is meeting with the Celtics today and GM Chris Wallace told Insider that he was definitely interested. Wallace also told Insider that Pacers' free agent Bruno Sundov is another free agent his team is targeting. Both players are expected to make something near the minimum.

Heat: It looks like lottery pick Caron Butler will finally make his pro debut tonight. Butler sat out the Orlando Pro Summer League with an injury but is set to start tonight as the Heat join several other Western Conference teams at the L.A. Summer Pro League.

Hornets: The Hornets' top priority is trying to re-sign their two free agents -- Lee Nailon and Robert Traylor. Bob Bass, the Hornets' vice president of basketball operations, said he doesn't expect Nailon or Traylor to sign today. "We had conversations with both of their agents, and our negotiations are ongoing," Bass told the Times Picayune.

Nets: Add Bucks free-agent point guard Rafer Alston to the team's wish list. The team is still looking for a backup point guard to spell Jason Kidd. The team has talked to several free agents, including Jacque Vaughn, but seems to be leaning toward Alston, a Nets source told Insider.

If AOL Time Warner would spend the money, we could add a pretty decent piece. Instead of guaranteeing the playoffs, I'd like to see them do what it takes to add a significant FA who could help us do a LOT more than that. If we could trade Nazr for Mike Miller AND sign Keon Clark, I think we would be a SERIOUS contender for the EC crown next year.

Theo/Clark

SAR/Hendu

Miller/Kukoc/Ira/CC*

DJ/DG

JT/Dickau/E-Mail

*injured reserve

Ideally, we would move one of the SFs (or DG) and sign a power player, preferably a true Center.

It frustrates the hell out of me that the sorry a** Knicks are already at $90 million in salaries and yet their GM has the green light to offer the full MCE while we are only at $52 million and all we can do is sign Ira Newble to a contract starting at around $1 million/year. I mean give me a break! Say Ira's contract kicks our total up to $53 million and we sign a player to the full MCE. I'll round the MCE up to $5 million to be safe. Our total salary would be around $58 million. I'll be conservative and say the luxury tax kicks in at $54 million. That means that the Hawks would have to pay a grand total of $4 million in luxury tax payments. What the hell is $4 million dollars to Time Warner AOL! That is chump change! As horrible as this team has been over the past 3 seasons, is payng $4 million in luxury tax too much to ask for the team to put a quality product on the floor? Hell, they pay Hendu TWICE that amount for nothing!

I think that Marshall no doubt would be......Jerome James would be also. Keon Clark certainly would be. There are a few guys out there, and I think Atlanta is a place that guys would want to play if we were willing to pay them. We have a very good nucleus, but we gotta go the extra mile to get over the hump.

I love that line-up, but unfortunately, it is a business not a fantasy league. AOL Time Warner couldn't care less about the Hawks. They own them because it was part of the deal. I bet they have turned the rains over to Kasten with the following limitations Between the 2 (Braves/Hawks) do not loose money! And oh, by the way, your annual bonus is based on the profit generated by the 2!!

The problem is that GM's are so quick to compete for the best team that they will throw money at players who appear to be doing well (potential w/ signs) and that straps them for years. When we signed Alan Henderson to that deal, no one was complaining. He had hust come off a really good year. He had offense, defense, rebounding and hustle. That is exactly what we needed with the team (Deke, Smith, Mookie, Corbin) of non-athletic players. Everyone agreed, but time change!!! Now we have to live with it.

The biggest problem in the NBA is the 6-7 year deals. I know if you have a Shaq/Kobe/KG etc you want to know they are yours for as long as you want them, but too many GM's give the long deals to the average players as well. They don't really know that they want them for a long time, they just want them now and it works out well for the Agents.

NY, POR, DAL and probably MEM will all spend the money regardless of the luxury tax. MIA has indicated that they might do the same if the right player is available. I wish AOL Time Warner would sell the Hawks and Braves back to Ted. We'd have our MCE and the Braves could go get Thome.

As far as Hendu goes, when he signed that deal, there was no luxury tax. He signed that deal under the old CBA when Jordan was making $30 million+ and Juwon Howard and KG were signing $100 million+ deals. Under today's rules, no way Hendu would have commanded that much. We just caught in transition with his contract and he got the so called going rate. He wasn't the only one who signed one of those deals, he's just the only one with the Hawks who did.

You're right about long term deals, they are risky. However, they can be a great deal too. I'm sure San Antonio wishes they could have signed Duncan long term. Instead, they paid him big money short term and now, they are going to have to pay him even bigger money long term or worse, they could lose him.

You forget, he's not old enough to remember any of that.

We are going to get shafted as long as we are owned by AOL. The Braves have enough talent to win, so as long as people show up, AOL won't bother. They won't go get a First Baseman to push them over the hump and into the World Series.

We're still missing the pieces we need to be a winner. It's obvious that the crowds will still be light until we have a winner, but AOL will still stay tight. If you build it, they will come. If you don't, your team will be stuck in mediocrity in an empty arena.

Big corporations just aren't good for baseball. They could care less about the product, as long as it sells. All owners have plenty of cash to spare, they just don't want to spend it. If only all owners were are loose as Steinbrenner and Cuban. They care.