Who in Your Judgment is a Superstar?

We've had so many comments about needing a superstar.  I guess my definition of superstar is a lot more restrictive than most. Who do you think is currently a superstar (let's not include nostalgia players for this discussion (i.e. Duncan, Garnett, Stoudamire, Kobe, etc.))  

LaMarcus Aldridge?

Carmelo Anthony?

Chris Bosh?

DeMarcus Cousins?

Stephen Curry?

Anthony Davis?

Andre Drummond?

Kevin Durant?

Paul George?

Draymond Green?

Blake Griffin?

James Harden?

Dwight Howard?

LeBron James?

DeAndre Jordan?

Kahwi Leonard?

Damian Lillard?

Kevin Love?

Chris Paul?

Karl-Anthony Towns?

Dwayne Wade?

John Wall?

Russell Westbrook?

Kristaps Porzingis?

Isaiah Thomas?

Klay Thompson?

In my opinion only a few of the players listed above qualify as superstars, and a smaller percentage I consider to be true superstars".

I'd pick Steph Curry and LeBron James,  as true superstars, i.e. they can put a team on their back and carry them to a championship level.  

I would have included Dwayne Wade in this list when he was a bit younger, but probably not now.

I consider Durant, Westbrook, Unibrow, and George as just below that level.

The rest I consider to be all-stars, but not superstars.  They don't necessarily make their teams or their teammates better.

• Like 1

Curry is a superstar due to popularity and his team.  You can't drop him on just any team and have that team become a contender.

Illustrates that the "superstar" designation has multiple dimensions.  I lean more to the on-court dimension but a case could be made that sMelo is a superstar despite his recent losing.

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Curry is a superstar due to popularity and his team.  You can't drop him on just any team and have that team become a contender.

Illustrates that the "superstar" designation has multiple dimensions.  I lean more to the on-court dimension but a case could be made that sMelo is a superstar despite his recent losing.

Stand up night for kg I see...jokes comin fast.

8 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Stand up night for kg I see...jokes comin fast.

C'mon broseph, an argument can still be made for sMelo being a superstar.  Look at us, we're talking about the clown constantly even though he's not accomplished anything on the court in a long time.  Depends on your definition of "superstar".

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

C'mon broseph, an argument can still be made for sMelo being a superstar.  Look at us, we're talking about the clown constantly even though he's not accomplished anything on the court in a long time.  Depends on your definition of "superstar".

Yes..."We" talk a lot about stupid shit around here..."We" make 32 new threads on how to get Dwight Howard every week. It doesn't make it true. Carmelo is done. He was always in it for the money and the fame. He never really wanted to win and no other legit star ever really wanted to play alongside him.

Just now, Spud2Nique said:

Yes..."We" talk a lot about stupid shit around here..."We" make 32 new threads on how to get Dwight Howard every week. It doesn't make it true. Carmelo is done. He was always in it for the money and the fame. He never really wanted to win and no other legit star ever really wanted to play alongside him.

First. let me add a disclaimer.  I am not advocating for acquiring sMelo although I do think he'd make us immensely better if he were dropped into the lineup as is.

He has garnered a bad rep, but I don't think he's as much of a 'me' guy as people portray him to be.  He's just made 2 awful decisions that paint that picture.  A. Forcing the trade to NYK (and thereby gutting the team) and 2. re-signing in NYK.

As far as his play goes, there's no evidence that suggests he's a selfish player when surrounded by good-to-decent teammates.  Every time he's been in that situation his teams have actually been pretty good.

• Moderators

It'd be nice if we got someone who is going to be a superstar rather than someone who has been a superstar.    I know that ain't easy but that's why Bud gets the big bucks.  

I like Hardaway but it is a little strange that the Knicks call up to trade for our pick and they say Hardaway and the Hawks get all excited.   If we really thought that highly of Hardaway why didn't we go out asking for him?   Anyway, just stream of consciousness.   I'm just hoping someone on the basketball side has a plan to get an impact player who can be a star.  

Say what you will about previous regimes but we did just that by going after Smitty and Joe.   Now maybe neither was a bonafide star but they were go to guys that had yet to be considered go to guys.

5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

First. let me add a disclaimer.  I am not advocating for acquiring sMelo although I do think he'd make us immensely better if he were dropped into the lineup as is.

He has garnered a bad rep, but I don't think he's as much of a 'me' guy as people portray him to be.  He's just made 2 awful decisions that paint that picture.  A. Forcing the trade to NYK (and thereby gutting the team) and 2. re-signing in NYK.

As far as his play goes, there's no evidence that suggests he's a selfish player when surrounded by good-to-decent teammates.  Every time he's been in that situation his teams have actually been pretty good.

I don't think you have watched Melo play. He is as selfish as they come. He's a glorified jump shooter.

9 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I don't think you have watched Melo play. He is as selfish as they come. He's a glorified jump shooter.

Well, I think you've watched him with a biased eye.  Take that.

• Moderators

Here are my tiers for those players with players in tiers 1 and 2 being superstars who I think can lead a championship team with the right surrounding cast.  Tier 3 guys are close to superstar but either mentally or physically limited in some way which keeps them from there (for Towns it is just experience).  Tier 4 are guys who are good #2 or #3 players on a championship team.  Tier 5 guys are good #3s for a championship team.  Tier 6 has star potential.  Tier 7 will never be a star, just a solid player.

Tier 1 

Kevin Durant / LeBron James

Tier 2

Stephen Curry / Anthony Davis / Paul George / Kawhi Leonard 

Tier 3

DeMarcus Cousins / James Harden / Karl-Anthony Towns / Russell Westbrook / Chris Paul

Tier 4

LaMarcus Aldridge / Carmelo Anthony / Andre Drummond / Draymond Green / Dwight Howard / Damian Lillard / Kevin Love

Tier 5

Chris Bosh / Blake Griffin / DeAndre Jordan / Dwayne Wade / John Wall / Klay Thompson

Tier 6

Kristaps Porzingis

Tier 7

Isaiah Thomas

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Here are my tiers for those players with players in tiers 1 and 2 being superstars who I think can lead a championship team with the right surrounding cast.  Tier 3 guys are close to superstar but either mentally or physically limited in some way which keeps them from there (for Towns it is just experience).  Tier 4 are guys who are good #2 or #3 players on a championship team.  Tier 5 guys are good #3s for a championship team.  Tier 6 has star potential.  Tier 7 will never be a star, just a solid player.

Tier 1 

Tier 2

Tier 3

DeMarcus Cousins / James Harden / Karl-Anthony Towns / Russell Westbrook / Chris Paul

Tier 4

LaMarcus Aldridge / Carmelo Anthony / Andre Drummond / Draymond Green / Dwight Howard / Damian Lillard / Kevin Love

Tier 5

Chris Bosh / Blake Griffin / DeAndre Jordan / Dwayne Wade / John Wall / Klay Thompson

Tier 6

Kristaps Porzingis

Tier 7

Isaiah Thomas

How'd the MVP of the league and probably two time champion fall to Tier 2?  

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

How'd the MVP of the league and probably two time champion fall to Tier 2?  

Because I think he is more context dependent.  He is a weak defender and on a team that doesn't have a bunch of perimeter threats and plus passers his impact would be muted from what it is playing alongside the GS roster.  I think Durant and LeBron are beasts on every team in the league.

I've got no problem if someone thinks Curry is on their level because he has been a godly shooter these last two seasons playing with that crew.  Just my $.02.

53 minutes ago, AHF said:

Tier 1 

Tier 2

Tier 3

Tier 4

Tier 5

Tier 6

Kristaps Porzingis

Tier 7

Isaiah Thomas

I like the list though I'd make a huge argument to move Lillard from tier 4 to tier 3....prolly just flip flop Harden for Lillard but that's my subjective view.

Just to make it nice and neat it's just Curry and LeBron.

"Superstars" are just players with flashy measurables who kids want to be, thus driving jersey sales and TV ratings so executives who don't know basketball can dictate who the "superstars" are.  No reflection on how good a player is whatsoever.

I'm much more concerned with 2-way, Champioship Level players.  Mike Conley, Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Porzingis, and Towns will all win a championship before they retire, mark my words.   If I were a GM I'd move Earth to construct that roster.  

Davis, CP3, Westbrook, and KD, while all as phenomenal as any talent we've seen, all have fatal flaws that I just can't live with.  

Many of these so called "superstars" are flat out bums.  You ever seen Damian Lilliard play? Goodness.

• Moderators

I believe we could win a championship with Paul George on this team. We don't need Durant, just a guy that can be relied on for when we need a bucket and will drop the occasional 30 burger on a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

I believe we could win a championship with Paul George on this team. We don't need Durant, just a guy that can be relied on for when we need a bucket and will drop the occasional 30 burger on a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gave you a 'like' for the "30 burger".  Got a nice chuckle out of that'n.

Aye, @Spud2Nique, sMelo is good for a quick 30-burg every once in a while.

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Gave you a 'like' for the "30 burger".  Got a nice chuckle out of that'n.

Aye, @Spud2Nique, sMelo is good for a quick 30-burg every once in a while.

Oh no doubt, but the opposition will get 35 burgers with some onion rings lol

Edited by Spud2Nique