Budcox is smart enough to use all the available cap space before resigning Horford right?

JTB

This is a serious question! Bud has already said numerous times how much Horford means to him therefore I expect him back...Im not going to act all surprised when we resign horford like many will but the way Bud speaks about it scares me. I hope him and Wilcox are smart enough to know that Horford is going to get other max offers during the time they are trying to use the available cap space to lure in another free agent. 

If you listen to Bud on his recent interviews about Horford I personally feel like Budcox is going to get pressured into offering horford a deal right off the back in fear of losing him once horford starts receiving other max deals and then doing so Budcox will handicap the rest of free agency because of low cap space and they won't be able to improve the team. 

So seriously I hope Budcox is smart enough to use all the available cap space before resigning Horford if thats the plan to keep him. Horford is going to have to sit on his hands for a while like Leonard had to do last off season while waiting on the spurs to get Lamarcus. Please tell me Budcox is smart enough to know this!

• Premium Member

You'll likely see the come to a verbal agreement with Horford and then proceed to use the rest of the cap space before he physically signs anything.  

However, I seriously don't get the big man crush that Bud has on Al.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, AHF said:

They are smart enough to know that his cap hold is cheaper than his contract.  If they bring him back, they'll agree to a number and then wait to finalize until they've maxed their options with the rest of the cap room.

47 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

You'll likely see the come to a verbal agreement with Horford and then proceed to use the rest of the cap space before he physically signs anything.  

Well good....I forgot about the verbal agreement. I was thinking they were going to get nervous if horford got other max deals and rush to sign him immediately.

54 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

It's just company speak.  That man was working 3 phones, 2 ipads, 2 PCs, laptop, and a fax trying to move Al in February.  All of a sudden he's a cornerstone at 30 after he helped lead you to a second straight sweep against the same damn team?  Alright, Budz.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

It's just company speak.  That man was working 3 phones, 2 ipads, 2 PCs, laptop, and a fax trying to move Al in February.  All of a sudden he's a cornerstone at 30 after he helped lead you to a second straight sweep against the same damn team?  Alright, Budz.

I know bud isn't a dumb coach but i do think he loves horford and millsap a lot.

• Premium Member

Looking ahead, assuming that the Hawks re-sign Horford and perhaps Bazemore and make no other moves, those two would be the only guys under contract after next season because Millsap is going to opt out and become unrestricted.  Bud shouldn't be looking to take longterm salaries in trades unless it is absolutely worth it.  Next summer could bring a more significant roster shake up unless Bud stays in love with this group and uses the space to give them all long term deals.

Sigh...

Sign Al Horford to a 1+1 deal and try to recreate that "magic" that Demarre Carroll had with the team with Taurean Prince starting at SF and bring in Allen Crabbe to play significant minutes (if not even start) at SG or Eric Gordon on a prove it deal.

If it doesn't work in 2016/2017, let Horford decline his option and end the Al Horford era.

If they resign Kent Bazemore though, oh boy... I'm going to flip my s*** if they do. They really need to come into the new season with new starters at both SG and SF.

Edited by Lurker

• 1 month later...

So I ask this again....Budcox is smart enough to use all the available cap before resigning Horford right?

i don't know but the Marc Stein tweet has me thinking the Hawks are being cheap asses again but this time under new owner Tony Ressler. Smh....I get the feeling they want to use that 24m cap space all on Horford, not saying I'm right but that's what my gut is telling me.

• Moderators

Two separate questions.

• Bud and Wilcox are clearly smart enough to know to use all the available cap space before resigning Horford to more than his cap hold.
  • Where is ownership going to set the budget?  At the cap?  Above the cap but below the luxury tax?  That remains to be seen.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Two separate questions.

• Bud and Wilcox are clearly smart enough to know to use all the available cap space before resigning Horford to more than his cap hold.
  • Where is ownership going to set the budget?  At the cap?  Above the cap but below the luxury tax?  That remains to be seen.

Fair enough....I still have a good feeling our new owners aren't ready to commit fully to the team but we will see.

1 minute ago, JTB said:

So I ask this again....Budcox is smart enough to use all the available cap before resigning Horford right?

i don't know but the Marc Stein tweet has me thinking the Hawks are being cheap asses again but this time under new owner Tony Ressler. Smh....I get the feeling they want to use that 24m cap space all on Horford, not saying I'm right but that's what my gut is telling me.

I mentioned this very thing the the "Teague traded thread"  

If that was this move then we'll know what this ownership group is about.

I will wait until after July 1st to rant or not.

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Two separate questions.

facebook-like.gif