• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Since the Draft Lottery is FIXED... My prediction is

Diesel

9 hours ago, Diesel said:

It's fixed.

I think the stat is that this is the 5th time that the team with the worst record has won the 1st pick of the lottery.

The lottery has been put into place to make sure that the league can always reward a market.

When Lebron left Cleveland, Cleveland wins 3 1s in a row.

Fixed.

If it wasn't fixed, then they would move to something a little more permanent.

I heard Mike from Mike and Mike suggesting a system where the first team that missed the playoffs win the first pick overall??

We've had guys to suggest a rotating pick system. 

Some have even suggested punishing teams that finish worst.

I don't know.  I do believe that once every team has their on DLeague affiliate then there will be a lot more that can be done with how the draft works.

I never thought about it until you posted that.  When look at it, the lottery concept IS the remedy, because, its SUPPOSE to eliminate a team tanking.  The problem isnt the teams tanking, the problem is the NBA ITSELF not being above board.  My point is it doenst matter what kind of system you have as long as the NBA has a say in it because you just spitting in the wind.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Philly getting the #1 can work to the Hawks advantage as they will likely take a SF in that spot.  There was talk around the trade deadline that the 76ers were interested in one of our point guards and were considering including one of the young big men in the package.  How about a return package of Grant or Covington along with Noel?  The 76ers can accelerate there progress by getting a floor general and the Hawks can potentially fill two spots, especially if Al decides to move on.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AtlHomer said:

Philly getting the #1 can work to the Hawks advantage as they will likely take a SF in that spot.  There was talk around the trade deadline that the 76ers were interested in one of our point guards and were considering including one of the young big men in the package.  How about a return package of Grant or Covington along with Noel?  The 76ers can accelerate there progress by getting a floor general and the Hawks can potentially fill two spots, especially if Al decides to move on.

Hands down one of the best trade scenarios ive ever seen on this board.  If the Hawks could move Teague or Dennis and get Covington and Noel, they instantly fix two positions, get younger, more athletic, and set themselves up to even get better down the road by building around that core.  Like you pointed out, the timing of it now, with Philly having that 3rd pick, and them wanting a seasoned point guard, ah man, its soo set up for the Hawks to approach that. Excellent post. Heck, i would even sweeten the deal by throwing Korver or Heinrich into the deal.........lmao  Dont sleep on that last part because both Korver and Heinrich have teaching value the Sixers could use with their team.

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I never thought about it until you posted that.  When look at it, the lottery concept IS the remedy, because, its SUPPOSE to eliminate a team tanking.  The problem isnt the teams tanking, the problem is the NBA ITSELF not being above board.  My point is it doenst matter what kind of system you have as long as the NBA has a say in it because you just spitting in the wind.

I think one of the fairest remedies that I have seen is a systemized draft where everyteam knows when it will be picking at what position.   At that point, with a hard cap, the GMs job becomes much more vital.  Sheez.. How many shots will Philly get?  If you had a rotation of draftpicks that didn't depend on the order, then I believe that it would force teams to trade and dismantle a lot easier.

For instance, if Minnesota knew this year that they would be picking dead last, would they have tanked?  No, they would have worked harder to get better talent through trades.

This is why I believe that each team should have it's own DLeague Affiliate.  If that was in place, you expand the draft to 3 rounds... expand the team roster to 30.   Hand out 15 DL contracts.   The GM would be in charge of managing all the talent.   Teams would have to increase their scouts in order to scout other DLeague teams in case they wanted to make trades.   The DLeaguers would develop a following.   It would improve a brand.   When one of your players get injured, you don't have to go far to find somebody, just pull up a d-leaguer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think one of the fairest remedies that I have seen is a systemized draft where everyteam knows when it will be picking at what position.   At that point, with a hard cap, the GMs job becomes much more vital.  Sheez.. How many shots will Philly get?  If you had a rotation of draftpicks that didn't depend on the order, then I believe that it would force teams to trade and dismantle a lot easier.

For instance, if Minnesota knew this year that they would be picking dead last, would they have tanked?  No, they would have worked harder to get better talent through trades.

This is why I believe that each team should have it's own DLeague Affiliate.  If that was in place, you expand the draft to 3 rounds... expand the team roster to 30.   Hand out 15 DL contracts.   The GM would be in charge of managing all the talent.   Teams would have to increase their scouts in order to scout other DLeague teams in case they wanted to make trades.   The DLeaguers would develop a following.   It would improve a brand.   When one of your players get injured, you don't have to go far to find somebody, just pull up a d-leaguer.

I like your ideas. That d league thing brings it closer to baseball, wherein, like you are hinting at, the draft ISNT as important as developing talent on your own. In fact, i like both ideas. It would FORCE the NBA OUT  of that WWE thing and into being a real sport. lmao   You need to be commissioner..........lmao

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I like your ideas. That d league thing brings it closer to baseball, wherein, like you are hinting at, the draft ISNT as important as developing talent on your own. In fact, i like both ideas. It would FORCE the NBA OUT  of that WWE thing and into being a real sport. lmao   You need to be commissioner..........lmao

Yeah... And even though I love Basketball's contract system best of all... It would have to change.  Players would have to be able to renegotiate their contracts.  I would push for a hard hard cap... no Bird rules.  No Luxury tax.  THEN we'd have real sports.   The only problem is having to wait 30 years to get the #1 pick overall?  But a top 3 pick every ten years is not bad.

38 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Yeah... And even though I love Basketball's contract system best of all... It would have to change.  Players would have to be able to renegotiate their contracts.  I would push for a hard hard cap... no Bird rules.  No Luxury tax.  THEN we'd have real sports.   The only problem is having to wait 30 years to get the #1 pick overall?  But a top 3 pick every ten years is not bad.

Ok. Hard cap. check.

No bird. check.

no luxury tax. check.

Waiting that long for a top pick. no go.  What about this?  Is there a way you can do the opposite, by eliminating the lottery, and BARRING teams from picking in the top, lets say, 5 picks, for a period of time?  In other words, lets say philly has the worst record and gets the first pick. they are barred from making another top 5 pick for say, 5 years?  Ok, lets say they finish 2nd worst record next year.  They are barred from that number 2 pick. They have to switch places with a team outside the top 5 ( in this case, the 6th seed team.) 

In this scenario, a team can tank, but only ONCE in a 5 year period. If you bar them from a top 10 pick, it REALLY gets serious for teams to rethink that tanking option. I think doing it this way really brings the game to where it should be. 

2016 (c)

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

Hands down one of the best trade scenarios ive ever seen on this board.  If the Hawks could move Teague or Dennis and get Covington and Noel, they instantly fix two positions, get younger, more athletic, and set themselves up to even get better down the road by building around that core.  Like you pointed out, the timing of it now, with Philly having that 3rd pick, and them wanting a seasoned point guard, ah man, its soo set up for the Hawks to approach that. Excellent post. Heck, i would even sweeten the deal by throwing Korver or Heinrich into the deal.........lmao  Dont sleep on that last part because both Korver and Heinrich have teaching value the Sixers could use with their team.

Good idea is good. However I would keep Korver. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Ok. Hard cap. check.

No bird. check.

no luxury tax. check.

Waiting that long for a top pick. no go.  What about this?  Is there a way you can do the opposite, by eliminating the lottery, and BARRING teams from picking in the top, lets say, 5 picks, for a period of time?  In other words, lets say philly has the worst record and gets the first pick. they are barred from making another top 5 pick for say, 5 years?  Ok, lets say they finish 2nd worst record next year.  They are barred from that number 2 pick. They have to switch places with a team outside the top 5 ( in this case, the 6th seed team.) 

In this scenario, a team can tank, but only ONCE in a 5 year period. If you bar them from a top 10 pick, it REALLY gets serious for teams to rethink that tanking option. I think doing it this way really brings the game to where it should be.

That's not a bad idea.  So they automatically drop to 11?  I think it gets messy for those teams that are the worst and second worst year after year though.

Lets say Philly is the worst.  They drop to #1.  Denver is #2.

Next year, they finish the same.  Philly is #11.  Denver is #1.

The next year, they finish the same.  Is it Philly #11 and Denver #12?

In the fixed rotation... with the hard cap.. no bird rule... not lux tax...  Check this out:

Every 10 years, you get a top 3 pick. (that's every team. ] Every 5 years a top 6 pick.

Lebron has been great for 10 years.  So has Melo.   So has Durant.   That's a gift every team years.

The hard cap and the  bird rule elimination will eliminate free agents ability to create superteams.  UNLESS they are willing to renegotiate their contracts.   We will put in a luxury tax for the team everytime they renegotiate a contract.  It will be a percentage based tax.

I believe that you have to punish a bad GM and this system makes the GM more responsible for the day to day.  

What it does is it takes these teams off the teet.  It ends tanking.  It gives the fans a better experience because most games are going to be competitive.  It rewards teams that develop well. It rewards teams that trade well.  It breaks up the superstars calling the shots.

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

That's not a bad idea.  So they automatically drop to 11?  I think it gets messy for those teams that are the worst and second worst year after year though.

Lets say Philly is the worst.  They drop to #1.  Denver is #2.

Next year, they finish the same.  Philly is #11.  Denver is #1.

The next year, they finish the same.  Is it Philly #11 and Denver #12?

In the fixed rotation... with the hard cap.. no bird rule... not lux tax...  Check this out:

Every 10 years, you get a top 3 pick. (that's every team. ] Every 5 years a top 6 pick.

Lebron has been great for 10 years.  So has Melo.   So has Durant.   That's a gift every team years.

The hard cap and the  bird rule elimination will eliminate free agents ability to create superteams.  UNLESS they are willing to renegotiate their contracts.   We will put in a luxury tax for the team everytime they renegotiate a contract.  It will be a percentage based tax.

I believe that you have to punish a bad GM and this system makes the GM more responsible for the day to day.  

What it does is it takes these teams off the teet.  It ends tanking.  It gives the fans a better experience because most games are going to be competitive.  It rewards teams that develop well. It rewards teams that trade well.  It breaks up the superstars calling the shots.

In the automatic system you propose, WHICH team gets WHICH top 3 pick every 10 years?  See, it gets complicated. You would have to go back to just automatically slotting every team every year for it to work.  With the system i proposed, by just letting teams fall where they fall, but barring them from picking within the top 5 or top 10, you STILL pressure the general managers to perform.  You still eliminate and impose those other ideas you have.  The NBA has sooooooo mannnny loopholes and contract situations that you just KNOW its all part of a fix. It takes a scientist just to figure out the collective bargaining agreement and the contract situations.   Thats why i agree to eliminate most of that garbage.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

In the automatic system you propose, WHICH team gets WHICH top 3 pick every 10 years?  See, it gets complicated. You would have to go back to just automatically slotting every team every year for it to work.  With the system i proposed, by just letting teams fall where they fall, but barring them from picking within the top 5 or top 10, you STILL pressure the general managers to perform.  You still eliminate and impose those other ideas you have.  The NBA has sooooooo mannnny loopholes and contract situations that you just KNOW its all part of a fix. It takes a scientist just to figure out the collective bargaining agreement and the contract situations.   Thats why i agree to eliminate most of that garbage.

Honestly.  You just put together a 30 year plan.    Let's say Philly is #1 this year, Next year they may be #30.  The year after that #15  The Year after that #26.. so fourth and so on.  So that over those 30 years, one team has been in ever position.  However, you manage it so that every 10 years, they get a top 3 pick and every 5 years a top 6 pick.  I think it can be done.   Yeah, there will be no more texaspete draft lottery parties, but every year the teams will know what position they will be in for the draft.

My thinking is that it will eliminate the treadmill as well.   Because if every 10 years, you're guaranteed a top 3 pick then   You won't have teams that sit in the playoffs like we have that can't make it out of the first or second round and aren't good enough to get a star player pick.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Good idea is good. However I would keep Korver. 

While I understand your desire to keep him, it is better to trade someone like Korver too early than too late.  He started his career in Philly so there may be an emotional tug for him to finish there.  Add to the fact he has an expiring contract after next season, it could increase the size of the return for us.

Thinking like a GM, I think there are many capable 2/3 players that we can easily plug into this system while giving us better defense at those positions.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Honestly.  You just put together a 30 year plan.    Let's say Philly is #1 this year, Next year they may be #30.  The year after that #15  The Year after that #26.. so fourth and so on.  So that over those 30 years, one team has been in ever position.  However, you manage it so that every 10 years, they get a top 3 pick and every 5 years a top 6 pick.  I think it can be done.   Yeah, there will be no more texaspete draft lottery parties, but every year the teams will know what position they will be in for the draft.

My thinking is that it will eliminate the treadmill as well.   Because if every 10 years, you're guaranteed a top 3 pick then   You won't have teams that sit in the playoffs like we have that can't make it out of the first or second round and aren't good enough to get a star player pick.

Ill have to look at this. 

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, skimaskway23 said:

Horf is a free agent now. That ship sailed at the trade deadline.

Sign and trade.  Check out the articles Hawksfanatic has written about this very subject.

Edited by Jdawgflow

20 hours ago, AtlHomer said:

While I understand your desire to keep him, it is better to trade someone like Korver too early than too late.  He started his career in Philly so there may be an emotional tug for him to finish there.  Add to the fact he has an expiring contract after next season, it could increase the size of the return for us.

Thinking like a GM, I think there are many capable 2/3 players that we can easily plug into this system while giving us better defense at those positions.

Yes I understand the value is still their and all, but who would we plug in his place as the sharpshooter of the group? Streaky Hardaway? Patterson? Lol. *Insert 3 point shooter FA*? We're talking about AN ALL TIME GREAT 3 point shooter who is critical to this offense and how it is ran. I think it'd be best for us to keep #26 even with him aging

I agree View. Hopefully he is injury free from now on because it was rough for him to put his three back together the whole year after surgery. Just hoping our guys come along with our coaching so we aren't depending on big minutes from Kyle. Really hoping Hardaway will earn consistent minutes by really improving that three he kept searching for this past season. Who knows what happens with FA swing players  this summer. Just don't see us getting the upside on a trade involving Kyle by himself.    

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Thomas said:

I agree View. Hopefully he is injury free from now on because it was rough for him to put his three back together the whole year after surgery. Just hoping our guys come along with our coaching so we aren't depending on big minutes from Kyle. Really hoping Hardaway will earn consistent minutes by really improving that three he kept searching for this past season. Who knows what happens with FA swing players  this summer. Just don't see us getting the upside on a trade involving Kyle by himself.    

Bud has to be smart enough to start aggressively developing THJr so that he can start and Korver can come off the bench.   This year, our offense was too dependent on Korver.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Diesel said:

Bud has to be smart enough to start aggressively developing THJr so that he can start and Korver can come off the bench.   This year, our offense was too dependent on Korver.

Agreed. Hoping that Korver shows great coaching abilities with Hardaway in particular the three ball. He worked with DMC with good results. Maybe we have our future SG already. Hoping so, that way we could concentrate on that starting SF spot. Even if we do bring Baze back Bud likely wouldn't give him minutes at SG which is where he belongs anyway. Would be nice to have a SF with more size.