• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tiago Splitter.... Is he the answer??

Diesel

• Premium Member

Just read a little review about Splitter.  He's coming back from Hip surgery.  Damn that sounds like an old man's ailment.   However, this intrigued me:

When Splitter did play, the team was really good with him on the floor. He posted a team best 94.2 defensive rating and had a net rating of 9.3 which was also the best on the team for everyone who appeared in at least 35 games. Those numbers show that the Hawks were a better team at both ends when he was on the floor but that was the problem with his 2016 season overall. He never was fully healthy for an extended period

I'm not a stathead so maybe a stathead can explain it to me.   However, could it be in Bud's thinking that we get back the whole gang and when Healthy we will just be better?

Maybe Splitter is the answer.   He's only 31.   He knows the system.   We're better defensively with him .  I don't know about rebounds...

What do you think Squawk?  Are we here just like children who wants something new and shiny and ignoring what we have in the closet?

How bad was his injury?  What's the likelihood that he comes back much better than before?

It'll  be good to have our guys healthy , but we still need more talent.

I'm against bringing back the same team. We know we are deficient in some areas that must be addressed.

I liked the trade for Splitter when it happened but I was a bit disappointed with his play.  Hopefully it was due to injury.  If that's the case, will he be better?  More than likely,  but he isn't going to make this team a contender by himself.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Just read a little review about Splitter.  He's coming back from Hip surgery.  Damn that sounds like an old man's ailment.   However, this intrigued me:

I'm not a stathead so maybe a stathead can explain it to me.   However, could it be in Bud's thinking that we get back the whole gang and when Healthy we will just be better?

Maybe Splitter is the answer.   He's only 31.   He knows the system.   We're better defensively with him .  I don't know about rebounds...

What do you think Squawk?  Are we here just like children who wants something new and shiny and ignoring what we have in the closet?

How bad was his injury?  What's the likelihood that he comes back much better than before?

Is he the answer to advancing further in the playoffs?  No.

Is he the answer to getting past the Cavs?  No.

IF the numbers show the Hawks are better with him on the floor, if he is on the team next season (looks like he will be) and if this trend continues, they'll have to play him more. That will be a challenge to do for obvious reasons.

Do we have guys coming back from injuries?  Sure.

Is there potential for new injuries before and during the next season we don't yet know about?  Of course.

That's why standing pat to me is not a good option.  Splitter can help but we can't rely on that.  We need depth.

If he comes back stronger than ever from the surgery and gets a good bit more minutes, it'll make a big difference. His minutes and performance were obviously hampered by the hip. Dude started 2 or 3 games in the Finals for the '14 Champs that crushed Wade/LaBrawna/Bosh in 5. He'll probably never be that same player again, and won't get us past the Cavs. But it does open up options like an Al sign-and-trade (Hawks can give him that extra year on his contract) for a very good starting SG or SF. Which leads to a Splitter/Towervares/K-Hump center rotation. Trade Ice Teague draft night, draft the BPA SF/SG/PG, continue grooming the young'ns Shredder/Blaze/THJr in our outstanding player development program, and bring Threezus off the bench at the 2 and 3. Go younger and more aggressive starting Shredder, Blaze, trade acquisition, Sap, and Splitter. Might not win 50 games, then again a swaggy Shredder and Blaze, that new 3, and a healthy Splitter might win 60. Gotta try something, or it's 2nd round exit again...

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

Don't know if his hip was affecting him for the first part of the season or not. I do know a calf strain caused him to miss time early on. Assuming he was ever healthy last year he still didn't play over twenty minutes in any of the games I watched. Seems like Murphy's Law bit us on that trade even though I liked it when we made it.  

• Premium Member

I think the numbers show that when he played,  we were better.  Especially defensively. 

Everybody's talking about going out and signing a big or trading half of our team to get a Big.  What if he and Humph makes the big rotation that we need and we can just go out and sign a much needed scorer at the Sf position.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think the numbers show that when he played,  we were better.  Especially defensively. 

Everybody's talking about going out and signing a big or trading half of our team to get a Big.  What if he and Humph makes the big rotation that we need and we can just go out and sign a much needed scorer at the Sf position.

Feel like that is the biggest likelihood. Since we probably keep Al we would need to finally dump Moose to sign Humph. Seems like Humph would be good insurance for Tiago's health and Scott's going cold from the field or possible legal issues. Do something for a size and two way performance  increase at SF.

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Feel like that is the biggest likelihood. Since we probably keep Al we would need to finally dump Moose to sign Humph. Seems like Humph would be good insurance for Tiago's health and Scott's going cold from the field or possible legal issues. Do something for a size and two way performance  increase at SF.

We're caught in a bad spot.

As I look on the horizons, there's not a lot of good Sfs out there.