• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My approach seems like the obvious one. What am I missing?

ATLiott

3 minutes ago, ATLiott said:

1.  Don't max Al Horford.  He's not worth the max.

2.  Don't resign Baze.  Bud can find another player that will excel in that role.  He took DMC and Bazemore off of the scrap heap and they both blossomed.  He can find another reclamation project and pay them the league minimum.

3.  Trade #21, #12, Minny's 1st rounder, and THJ (or some other equally valued player) and draft a stud.  I'd really like to see Buddy Hield. 

This team/town needs a STAR.  We don't have a player as good as Cleveland's SECOND best player (Kyrie).  We need to take chances and try and get a guy good enough to get other players to come and play with him in a few years.  That's how the NBA works these days.  Bud Ball is a great way to get into the 2nd round of the playoffs.  Bud Ball + a star (who will bring other stars) will win titles.

Clearing cap room to resign Al and Baze will keep us losing in the 2nd round of the playoffs for several more years.   Maybe that's enough for you guys?

This has more "don't don't' in lieu of what to actually do - that's what missing.  At least lay out who we sign with all the capspace.

Good response. 
For me it's less what we do with the cap space  (I doubt Durant or Derozan will come here) and more to do with getting a potential superstar in the draft. 

We don't do well in FA because top notch free agents don't come to Atlanta because there are no superstars to join. 

With Sap, Denis, Kyle, and top 5 rookie X, the team will still win 40 games.  Bud's system will get you 40 and into the playoffs.  Ideally, Rookie X blossoms in year 2.  In year 3, other big names want to come play with him.

But since you asked, I'll try my hand:

Spend the cap space this year on Allen Crabbe SF , and Marreese Speights C.  Crabbe will likely sign for a lot less than Baze, and Speights can shoot and can provide some physicality this team is missing.

Schröder, (Hield), Crabbe, Sap, Speights

That's an athletic starting 5 to say the least.

Edited by ATLiott

Would exclude the past two years from the fraudulent category. We battled much closer against the Cavs in the playoffs this year and the Raptors showed the Cavs aren't immortals just really crazy good. Want to watch the Hawks go after this  upcoming season as well as when LeBron slows down. 

Cosign completely with the OP

4 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Would exclude the past two years from the fraudulent category. We battled much closer against the Cavs in the playoffs this year and the Raptors showed the Cavs aren't immortals just really crazy good. Want to watch the Hawks go after this  upcoming season as well as when LeBron slows down. 

Unless ATL has a team with the upside to beat the Cavs, it really doesn't matter that they aren't invincible. The Hawk's simply don't have the upside to overcome the feat that is Bron.

Plus, Lebron has atleast 2 to 3 years left before he officially falls off. Continuing to be a treadmill team for that period of time doesn't sound appealing at all.

Just now, skimaskway23 said:

Speights physicality is the missing piece guys. That's an upgrade over horford. 

This is a diesel level facepalm scenario

This is one of those, I am really not a true Basketball fan but I got an account like you and I watch the playoffs, here it goes. Ole well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guard said:

Unless ATL has a team with the upside to beat the Cavs, it really doesn't matter that they aren't invincible. The Hawk's simply don't have the upside to overcome the feat that is Bron.

Plus, Lebron has atleast 2 to 3 years left before he officially falls off. Continuing to be a treadmill team for that period of time doesn't sound appealing at all.

This year no one had what it takes to overcome LeBron. We had at least two games won if Baze or Korver could hit anything in the last two minutes. They didn't. The last two years we have been closer than we have ever been in Atlanta including when we had our HOFer  Nique. Thats a fact not a random post. That is not treadmill or mediocre, that is us competing against the best player in the East when some of the fans want us to restart and wait and compete three or more years from now when LeBron is not at his best.   

1 hour ago, ATLiott said:

1.  Don't max Al Horford.  He's not worth the max.

2.  Don't resign Baze.  Bud can find another player that will excel in that role.  He took DMC and Bazemore off of the scrap heap and they both blossomed.  He can find another reclamation project and pay them the league minimum.

3.  Trade #21, #12, Minny's 1st rounder, and THJ (or some other equally valued player) and draft a stud.  I'd really like to see Buddy Hield. 

This team/town needs a STAR.  We don't have a player as good as Cleveland's SECOND best player (Kyrie).  We need to take chances and try and get a guy good enough to get other players to come and play with him in a few years.  That's how the NBA works these days.  Bud Ball is a great way to get into the 2nd round of the playoffs.  Bud Ball + a star (who will bring other stars) will win titles.

Clearing cap room to resign Al and Baze will keep us losing in the 2nd round of the playoffs for several more years.   Maybe that's enough for you guys?

The biggest problems I see are:

1. What if we don't max Horf and he leaves?  Anyone we sign to replace him will have to be done with whatever $ we have to work under the cap with.  He may not be worth max, but we can sign everyone we can within the cap, and then go over to sign him.  I just think we'd have a more well rounded roster keeping him here, even at an inflated price.

2. I don't disagree (depending on asking price), but if we go with another scrap heap player, then it will take TIME for them to develop them into the player we need them to be.  It took Baze a while to get where he was what we needed, and he was already here the previous season.  And I still think he was a drop off from DMC.  Even DMC took a year to get to where he got to be 15 million dollar DMC.

3. You got to have a willing trade partner to do that high enough to get that player.  I wouldn't bank on that happening.  

I don't disagree with anything you mention exactly, but I just don't know how realistic it will actually be for all those pieces to fall into place.

Oh, and Crabbe is a RFA, so there is no guarantee we could sign him away.

Edited by bird_dirt

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

You know I don't give a damn about your opinion on Horford right? 

I don't care either way. You were wrong before and you're wrong now.

None of the accomplishments in his career justify the praise you have given him over the years.

Edited by Hotlanta1981