• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Word on the block #3: Luol Deng is our big FA target

NBASupes

Just now, Spud2Nique said:

I'm not exactly sure Derozan is the answer either. He's a really good player. I just don't think he's the perfect fit for us. Just my opinion.

He might not be but I'd rather take a chance on an all star who might not fit opposed to a previous all star who is a good 2 years past his prime who might fit. Plus what will Deng offer in the clutch situations? Nothing. He's an average scorer and shot creator. 

2 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

He might not be but I'd rather take a chance on an all star who might not fit opposed to a previous all star who is a good 2 years past his prime who might fit. Plus what will Deng offer in the clutch situations? Nothing. He's an average scorer and shot creator. 

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't want Deng either. I think Deng is finished. I just wouldn't pay Derozan what he will command. Honestly, the only guy out there that fits our system perfectly is Batum, but I doubt that is happening. 

17 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Because it's an unlikely ass chance of happening and not many know about it. Not to mention, Atlanta is not really trying to trade that player unless the right deal is out there.

You didn't technically clarify how they lost their point guard. So I'm gonna say it's Chicago.... And the deal is....

Suns-Brandon Knight

Bulls-Jimmy Butler

Hawks-Paul Millsap

idk who would go where but that's definitely a trade that is huge in a sense

2 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Are you a fan of giving Al the max?

I'm not a fan of giving him the max, but if it's between that and losing him I think we almost have to do it unless we do a sign n trade for him but we would have to get back some substantial players in return.

Also, I think these sf's fit our system as well..

Harrison Barnes

Jared Dudley

Marvin Williams (I'll wash my mouth now)

Allen Crabbe

Matt Barnes (lockeroom issues tho)

Gerald Green (can't play D tho)

But obviously Durant and Batum are the first options.

9 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

You didn't technically clarify how they lost their point guard. So I'm gonna say it's Chicago.... And the deal is....

Suns-Brandon Knight

Bulls-Jimmy Butler

Hawks-Paul Millsap

No

• Premium Member

I have a different opinion than those I see so far in what I've read here.

Deng can give you 15-20 good minutes every night. He is best cast as a part-time starter.

What's more, he can give you those 15-20 good minutes every night playing... legitimately... both at the 3 and the 4.... at that, probably all of Mike Scott's minutes (...who, we dare not forget, has been hanging by a legal string all this past year, and who it would be unreasonable to risk taking on that $3.3m  for 2016-17).

So, I see a real role for him here, but like anything else, the price has to be right.

Gerald Green is just too uneven both on and off court. 

I don't like Derozan but i could get behind maxing him.

Batum is all Bobcat.  Nothing to see there.  Barnes, now that he's surely not max-able, becomes more intriguing.

12 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Suns-Brandon Knight

Bulls-Jimmy Butler

Hawks-Paul Millsap

Nah, iirc he said it wasn't Butler and that Millsaps not involved?

Whatever it is i hope it happens.  I root for chaos sometimes.

Out of everyone mentioned Batum is the most appealing to me. Derozan can go off and create but no defense and inconsistent a lot. Its just too bad Batum will not be a Hawk

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sturt said:

I have a different opinion than those I see so far in what I've read here.

Deng can give you 15-20 good minutes every night. He is best cast as a part-time starter.

What's more, he can give you those 15-20 good minutes every night playing... legitimately... both at the 3 and the 4.... at that, probably all of Mike Scott's minutes (...who, we dare not forget, has been hanging by a legal string all this past year, and who it would be unreasonable to risk taking on that $3.3m  for 2016-17).

So, I see a real role for him here, but like anything else, the price has to be right.

I'd love him as a backup, our bench needs an upgrade. 

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'd love him as a backup, our bench needs an upgrade. 

Our bench is turrrrible

now that Dennis is a starter, who is gonna score? Moose?

ive always been of the thought that since we can't get a star, our only championship chance is to build the best bench in the league. Fight with the starters. Flat out own the opposition with the bench. 

Edited by Afro

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Afro said:

Our bench is turrrrible

ive always been of the thought that since we can't get a star, our only championship chance is to build the best bench in the league. Fight with the starters. Flat out own the opposition with the bench. 

Great idea in theory, but then the salary cap still intervenes and complicates the pursuit.

I think the Hawks regime has the right approach. You have to resist the cynicism that so easily creeps in and makes light of player development, and rather, honestly and seriously emphasize that. Take the players you have and constantly see them improving in those areas where there's room for improvement. We appear to be very good at that.

To the question "whos gonna score"...

First, I never viewed Dennis as a reliable scorer. But, point well taken, it's why I'm inclined toward Brandon Jennings to take the minutes voided by Teague's exit.

Edited by sturt

28 minutes ago, sturt said:

Great idea in theory, but then the salary cap still intervenes and complicates the pursuit.

I think the Hawks regime has the right approach. You have to resist the cynicism that so easily creeps in and makes light of player development, and rather, honestly and seriously emphasize that. Take the players you have and constantly see them improving in those areas where there's room for improvement. We appear to be very good at that.

To the question "whos gonna score"...

First, I never viewed Dennis as a reliable scorer. But, point well taken, it's why I'm inclined toward Brandon Jennings to take the minutes voided by Teague's exit.

Yeah Im a fan of bringing in Jennings. 

As far as player development, we are on the same page. Random Vets like baze and carroll get us halfway to my goal. Drafting gets us the other half....but we hate to draft so *shrug*. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, Afro said:

Our bench is turrrrible

This would be a great time for THJ to step up and be our 6th man. We know he can score and his D improved but can he be that guy for us? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Well since it was mentioned that Deng will be a 15 minute guy that must mean this isn't our big target. So with that in mind... Who is? @NBASupes 

It's Deng, Atlanta likes Deng a lot. They feel he's the missing piece. 

7 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

No, there is no way Luol Deng is the only guy were signing this offseason to make an impact on our team. Surely were secretly targeting another SG to replace Baze like Derozan,Beal,etc. 

We don't have the cap to do that nor are they leaving their teams. It's Deng unless Whiteside leaves Miami.