Al Horford

Scott

• Premium Member

I am sure this has been discussed on this board but  was wondering what is our plan B if Al leaves for another team. I know we can pay him more  money if we give him a max contract. I just remember a few years back that Al wanted to move from center to power forward. My personal opinion is we don't need Horford and Millsap since they are both undersize for their position. If we resign Al should we look to trade Millsap he has a player option after this year and will want a max contact for at least two to three years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SCOTT said:

I am sure this has been discussed on this board but  was wondering what is our plan B if Al leaves for another team. I know we can pay him more  money if we give him a max contract. I just remember a few years back that Al wanted to move from center to power forward. My personal opinion is we don't need Horford and Millsap since they are both undersize for their position. If we resign Al should we look to trade Millsap he has a player option after this year and will want a max contact for at least two to three years.

Splitter would probably start at C. They'd probably give Hump a raise and let Tavares be the 3rd center.  I get what you're saying about the size issue. I'm keep Millsap though. He plays at a higher level at PF than Al does in this system.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SCOTT said:

I know there are many out there that think Al will all of a sudden be this beast if he was moved to the four.  I just don't think he is going to project well there like these people have in mind.  If anything, he will be exposed.  Al has played for Mike Woodson, Larry Drew, and now Mike Budenholzer.  Thats a total of 3 coaches with different systems that know more basketball than all of us combined.  Yet, they've kept him at the 5.

I think we have to stop overrating Al's abilities as Hawks fans.  Al is very limited offensively.  If he can't drive right of make jumpshots, especially against good teams, he disappears.  Al's main advantage at the position is his athleticism versus other 5s.  We aren't in the 90s anymore people.  The NBA isn't littered with talented Patrick Ewings, David Robinsons, Hakeem Olajuwons, Aarvydas Sabonis etc..... All are seven footers that can play.  In today's nba, most 5s are less talented power forwards.  Not many are seven footers with the exception of maybe a handful of teams.  Another words, Al doesn't battle seven footers majority of the season.  When he does, Just as they are able to take advantage of their size advantage against Al, he hasn't been able to develop his game, especially a left hand, to use his athleticism to drive past those lumbering 7 footers when they have to close out on him away from the basket or guard him in space.  AL ISN'T GOOD AT DRIVING LEFT LIKE HE IS RIGHT! He simply passes the ball back to the pg letting the defense off the hook.  If these slow unathletic 7 footers on good teams are able to do this against him, how much easier do you think it will be for a power foward (often times the most talented big man on most teams) to guard him?

Al's lack of a post game is another reason why he is unable to take advantage at his positions.  The pick and pop or pick and roll is one or two of our offense's bread and butter.  Because Al has a respectable jumpshot his defender has to honor, teams end up switching.  How many times have we seen the point guards cause mismatches for Al to have a smaller defender on him after the swtich only to see Al  unable to take punish the defense in those situations?  If y'all can remove your bias glasses for a moment, you guys can probably remember sitting down yelling at the tv everytime Teague sets Al up in the post against a pg (teagues defender) only to watch Al cower and kick it back out to Teague to blow past the center (Al's defender).  Teague sets up Sap the same way and he, more times than not, gets off a quality shot in those cases. 

Sap is also undersized at his position.  Yet he averages more blocks and rebounds than Al while also playing away from the basket.  I'm not saying I hate Al or Al sucks because he is an excellent fit for this system.  Why has he not worked on being better at driving and finishing left during all these years in the league?  Why has he not developed maybe one or 2 post moves he can use against smaller defenders when our pgs force defenses to switch on pick and rolls or pick and pops?  If Al ever works out with Sap this offseason and picks up some of Saps moves, he will be immediately a top 3 big in the game especially with this era being weak in having options of quality big men.

• Like 4

Supes swoop in 3....2.....

Al and Marc Gasol are probably the best regular season Cs you can have.  But during the playoffs where the strategies are constricted because youre playing the same, tough team every night, Al's value plummets.  Simply put, he isn't physically strong enough in the paint and never will be.  He went from 40-something And-1s, 10 boards a game, and the patented Al Bicep Flex that we never see anymore to regularly taking 0 FTs a game, in a contract year!!!!  He'll remain in Atlanta because he can earn the most and he knows no one in the media will press him on such glaring issues.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, DarnShadyRefs said:

I know there are many out there that think Al will all of a sudden be this beast if he was moved to the four.  I just don't think he is going to project well there like these people have in mind.  If anything, he will be exposed.  Al has played for Mike Woodson, Larry Drew, and now Mike Budenholzer.  Thats a total of 3 coaches with different systems that know more basketball than all of us combined.  Yet, they've kept him at the 5.

I think we have to stop overrating Al's abilities as Hawks fans.  Al is very limited offensively.  If he can't drive right of make jumpshots, especially against good teams, he disappears.  Al's main advantage at the position is his athleticism versus other 5s.  We aren't in the 90s anymore people.  The NBA isn't littered with talented Patrick Ewings, David Robinsons, Hakeem Olajuwons, Aarvydas Sabonis etc..... All are seven footers that can play.  In today's nba, most 5s are less talented power forwards.  Not many are seven footers with the exception of maybe a handful of teams.  Another words, Al doesn't battle seven footers majority of the season.  When he does, Just as they are able to take advantage of their size advantage against Al, he hasn't been able to develop his game, especially a left hand, to use his athleticism to drive past those lumbering 7 footers when they have to close out on him away from the basket or guard him in space.  AL ISN'T GOOD AT DRIVING LEFT LIKE HE IS RIGHT! He simply passes the ball back to the pg letting the defense off the hook.  If these slow unathletic 7 footers on good teams are able to do this against him, how much easier do you think it will be for a power foward (often times the most talented big man on most teams) to guard him?

Al's lack of a post game is another reason why he is unable to take advantage at his positions.  The pick and pop or pick and roll is one or two of our offense's bread and butter.  Because Al has a respectable jumpshot his defender has to honor, teams end up switching.  How many times have we seen the point guards cause mismatches for Al to have a smaller defender on him after the swtich only to see Al  unable to take punish the defense in those situations?  If y'all can remove your bias glasses for a moment, you guys can probably remember sitting down yelling at the tv everytime Teague sets Al up in the post against a pg (teagues defender) only to watch Al cower and kick it back out to Teague to blow past the center (Al's defender).  Teague sets up Sap the same way and he, more times than not, gets off a quality shot in those cases. 

Sap is also undersized at his position.  Yet he averages more blocks and rebounds than Al while also playing away from the basket.  I'm not saying I hate Al or Al sucks because he is an excellent fit for this system.  Why has he not worked on being better at driving and finishing left during all these years in the league?  Why has he not developed maybe one or 2 post moves he can use against smaller defenders when our pgs force defenses to switch on pick and rolls or pick and pops?  If Al ever works out with Sap this offseason and picks up some of Saps moves, he will be immediately a top 3 big in the game especially with this era being weak in having options of quality big men.

Dropping them truth bombs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Al and Marc Gasol are probably the best regular season Cs you can have.  But during the playoffs where the strategies are constricted because youre playing the same, tough team every night, Al's value plummets.  Simply put, he isn't physically strong enough in the paint and never will be.  He went from 40-something And-1s, 10 boards a game, and the patented Al Bicep Flex that we never see anymore to regularly taking 0 FTs a game, in a contract year!!!!  He'll remain in Atlanta because he can earn the most and he knows no one in the media will press him on such glaring issues.

Benhillboy, that has to be the most startling stat for me concerning Al's play during his contract year.  Al was a much tougher player as a rookie than he is now.  WTH happened?  His effort and toughness are dwindling every year.  Even if you move him to PF, he still has to be able to give you at least 9 boards a night and finish in the paint from time to time.  Last year was just strange.  I don't know if he was injured or what.  He is honestly lucky he is in a weak big man era of the nba.  If there were as many quality bigs in the market as their are pgs, Horford won't even be in the discussion of being a max player.  Mainly because only then, his value will be assessed relative to his other talented peers.

I hope he stays on the team if he can prevent holding our cap space hostage.  If he does get the max, is Al just content being where he is or will he work out with Sap or Duncan?  Duncan extends invitations to bigs that want to train with him every summer.  Can Coach Bud advise him to take his offer? Is Horford even part of the developmental program?

I just want him to add a left hand to his game yall.  He will be killing these bigs in space or when they are forced to close out hard on him.  THIS IS NOT A HORFORD HATE THREAD.  He could have really been a superstar by now maybe on Dirk level.  He plays good defense but doesn't finish with rebounds.  I'm just tired of us not being realistic about what we have or don't have in him.  I just wish Coach Bud would have been the head coach when Josh, Marvin, and Horf were drafted.  Who knows the caliber of players they would have been now?...sigh

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I agree Al is better a center due to his quickness but I think he wants to be a power forward  next year. He isn't worth the contract unless he plays center

• Like 1

10 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Supes has left the building...he's too tired to respond to this lol.

6 hours ago, DarnShadyRefs said:

Benhillboy, that has to be the most startling stat for me concerning Al's play during his contract year.  Al was a much tougher player as a rookie than he is now.  WTH happened?  His effort and toughness are dwindling every year.  Even if you move him to PF, he still has to be able to give you at least 9 boards a night and finish in the paint from time to time.  Last year was just strange.  I don't know if he was injured or what.  He is honestly lucky he is in a weak big man era of the nba.  If there were as many quality bigs in the market as their are pgs, Horford won't even be in the discussion of being a max player.  Mainly because only then, his value will be assessed relative to his other talented peers.

I hope he stays on the team if he can prevent holding our cap space hostage.  If he does get the max, is Al just content being where he is or will he work out with Sap or Duncan?  Duncan extends invitations to bigs that want to train with him every summer.  Can Coach Bud advise him to take his offer? Is Horford even part of the developmental program?

I just want him to add a left hand to his game yall.  He will be killing these bigs in space or when they are forced to close out hard on him.  THIS IS NOT A HORFORD HATE THREAD.  He could have really been a superstar by now maybe on Dirk level.  He plays good defense but doesn't finish with rebounds.  I'm just tired of us not being realistic about what we have or don't have in him.  I just wish Coach Bud would have been the head coach when Josh, Marvin, and Horf were drafted.  Who knows the caliber of players they would have been now?...sigh

After his two pec surgeries he didnt look the same. Felt like he was passive

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, DarnShadyRefs said:

I just wish Coach Bud would have been the head coach when Josh, Marvin, and Horf were drafted.  Who knows the caliber of players they would have been now?...sigh

Josh Smith would have loved Bud!  LOL!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCOTT said:

I agree Al is better a center due to his quickness but I think he wants to be a power forward  next year. He isn't worth the contract unless he plays center

I don't mind him moving to the 4 but he has to put in work to bring more than just being a set jump shooter to the offensive side of his game. He will have to play against guys that can easily keep up with him instead of 5s he has been used to guarding him all these years. He can't continue to remain that limited on offense. 

If his jump shot isn't falling he has nothing else to go to, let alone getting to the free throw line.

11 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Josh Smith would have loved Bud!  LOL!

Can you imagine bud humbling Josh by sending him to the D league his first season? I love Mike and woody but they are the kind of coaches that need vets or already decently developed players. They weren't good at developing anybody.