• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How would you feel?

Diesel

• Premium Member

How would you feel if on Jul 1, we send a Second to San Antonio for Patty Mills.. to help San Antonio get Conley Jr.?

Would you think that Bud and Company are doing a great job  by getting us a BU PG or Would you think that Bud is doing the bidding for Popp once again?

Last year we took Splitter so that they could get Aldridge.

IF we take on the cap hit, then we won't have the capspace to go after big names like Durant.

So Hawksquawk, how would you feel?

Could we not make them pay a higher price than Mills?  Make them throw in Anderson or ... anything more?  If so, I'd be on board.  I wouldn't be satisfied with Mills alone.

If that is indeed the case with the Spurs pursuit of Conley then we have two or three extra second rounders available. Of course they are left with a back up point who is thirty four in Parker but also the rookie Murray if they make the deal. Makes sense for both teams I think. Mills salary is less than four million. 

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Could we not make them pay a higher price than Mills?  Make them throw in Anderson or ... anything more?  If so, I'd be on board.  I wouldn't be satisfied with Mills alone.

I've wrestled with this.  I don't think we need Kyle Anderson. Not with Prince and Bembry.  I also think that Mills would be a good BU.    IF we could get him for a 2nd, I would be happy but I would still consider Bud... Popp's bitch.

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I've wrestled with this.  I don't think we need Kyle Anderson. Not with Prince and Bembry.  I also think that Mills would be a good BU.    IF we could get him for a 2nd, I would be happy but I would still consider Bud... Popp's bitch.

Yeah, I guess you're right w.r.t. Anderson/need (or lack thereof).  Now give me a second to get over the shock of agreeing with you (ha).

Also agree that I'd still see it as a situation where Budz is serving Popa.  I understand, in the grand scheme of things, it's Spur-on-Spur deal-making which is the link that drives the two sides to work together.  However, we're not the JV.  In one of these scenarios we've got to be the party getting the big piece.  It can't always be one-sided.  They owe us already.  A deal like what you're proposing makes 2 ...

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

Yeah, I guess you're right w.r.t. Anderson/need (or lack thereof).  Now give me a second to get over the shock of agreeing with you (ha).

Also agree that I'd still see it as a situation where Budz is serving Popa.  I understand, in the grand scheme of things, it's Spur-on-Spur deal-making which is the link that drives the two sides to work together.  However, we're not the JV.  In one of these scenarios we've got to be the party getting the big piece.  It can't always be one-sided.  They owe us already.  A deal like what you're proposing makes 2 ...

You are my alter ego!

Maybe Bud sees it as his dream match is to face the Spurs in the finals.  Maybe his feeling is that he would have more success against his mentor (no matter how much talent they have) over any of the other powers in the West. 

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You are my alter ego!

Maybe Bud sees it as his dream match is to face the Spurs in the finals.  Maybe his feeling is that he would have more success against his mentor (no matter how much talent they have) over any of the other powers in the West. 

I'm your ... what now?

Disturbed

Ha, Budz better start recognizing he's being taken advantage of.  Wilcox needs to step in here if Budz can't see past his mentor.

Mills is not enough to clear space for  Conley (or Durant) . Like I've posted twice before, we take Danny Green and Patty Mills for 2nds. We fill our SG and backup PG slots and still have $11 - $14 million in cap depending on options picked up. 

This was my full plan...

On 6/26/2016 at 8:42 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Can we ALL agree that Kevin Durant is not going to be a Hawk? Yes

Do we want him coming East to Boston or NYK? No

Of the Western teams on his list (excluding OKC): LAC, SAS, GSW where would you prefer him to go? LAC would most likely be a SnT for Blake Griffin, no help to the Hawks, I've soured on GSW but that would leave Barnes a FA who we can sign if interested  (I'm not sold on him). So my choice is SAS.  Yes, again. They need to clear approximately $14 mil (I think)  in  capspace to sign Durant. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah, - Bud helping out Pop yada, yada, yada - Durant's not coming here so I'm looking at improving our Hawks team.

So......here's the plan:

SAS trades the Hawks Danny Green($10 mil) and Patty Mills($3.2mil)  for two future 2nd rounnders.  We've just filled 2 spots, starting SG which moves Korver to the bench, and backup PG with the proposed money for Bazemore. Green struggled much of last season with his shot but his defense was still on point. He had offseason lasik eye surgery so hopefully he can see better and regain his shooting stroke, lol.

Hawks new lineup (assuming most of our players are back):

Dennis(2.7)/Mills(3.2)/Pattson(1)
Danny(10)/Korver(5)/THJr(2.2)
Prince(2.5)/Thabo(4)/Bembry(1.5)
Paul(20)/Scott(3.3)/Moose(1)
Al(18)/Splitter(8.25)/Edy(1)

So that's $83.65 million total which leaves us with approximately  $10 mil left. That also includes a full roster, so i would dump Moose or Patterson to clear a spot which gives us $11 mil for either Noah or Deng.

Option #2 (No Patterson)
Dennis(2.7)/Mills(3.2)
Deng (11)/Thabo (4)/Prince(2.5)/Bembry(1.5)
Paul(20)/Scott(3.3)/Moose(1)
Al(18)/Splitter(8.25)/Edy(1)
$93.65 million

Or we can sign Baze if he'll take the $11 million (I feel some team will offer something crazy like $15)

Option #3 (No Moose)
Dennis(2.7)/Mills(3.2)/Patterson(1)
Prince (2.5)/Thabo (4)/Bembry(1.5)
Paul(20)/Scott(3.3)
Al(18)/Noah(11)/Splitter(8.25)/Edy(1)
$93.65 million

Option #4

The remaining  $10 million after the trade can be used any number of ways if not for Baze, Noah and Deng. We can add Scott's $3.3 and/or Mooses $1 mil to have  $14 mill and upgrade our bench bigs with other players - I just haven't researched alternate options.

If  there are any errors with the numbers, feel free to point them out.

Ok, done - off to church.

I actually like the idea of trading with the Spurs for a change.  But what if we bring in another team and do something like...

Spurs...Trade: Green / Mills... Receive: 2 future 2 (Atl) 1 future 2 (Phil)

Hawks...Trade: 2 future 2... Receive: Mills / Robert Covington

Philly...Trade: Covington and a 2... Receive: Green

Spurs clear cap space to push for Conley or Durant. 

Atl picks up a BU PG and depth / potential wing starter in Covington.

Philly has depth at SF and sounds like they want to push for Barnes. What they do lack is a quality SG and veteran leadership. 

I'd rather the hawks do this and still have cap space for baze (or Crabbe) / Horford than bring in an aging Deng that won't add much value long term. 

Shro/ Mills

Baze / Kover /THJ

Cov / Sef / Prince / Bembry ( D league)

Sap / ??? / ???

Horford / Splitter / Tavares

18 hours ago, Diesel said:

How would you feel if on Jul 1, we send a Second to San Antonio for Patty Mills.. to help San Antonio get Conley Jr.?

Would you think that Bud and Company are doing a great job  by getting us a BU PG or Would you think that Bud is doing the bidding for Popp once again?

Last year we took Splitter so that they could get Aldridge.

IF we take on the cap hit, then we won't have the capspace to go after big names like Durant.

So Hawksquawk, how would you feel?

Pop wouldn't be taking advantage of Bud in this situationat all imo. It would be mutually benefial, which is how trades are supposed to work. We want a bu point, they want space. Boom, done. We "lose" capspace, but wouldn't we do that whether we trade for a PG or sign a fa pg?

Re: Splitter (where the idea of being taken advantage of comes from), I don't think that was such a fleece job like folks are seeing it now with the power of hindsight.   He was a good, serviceable big on a decent contract for a big. In the end it didn't work out as great for us as we would've liked, but it wasn't a bad trade at the time, imo.  Hopefully he gets healthy and productive again this year if we keep him.

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Pop wouldn't be taking advantage of Bud in this situationat all imo. It would be mutually benefial, which is how trades are supposed to work. We want a bu point, they want space. Boom, done. We "lose" capspace, but wouldn't we do that whether we trade for a PG or sign a fa pg?

Re: Splitter (where the idea of being taken advantage of comes from), I don't think that was such a fleece job like folks are seeing it now with the power of hindsight.   He was a good, serviceable big on a decent contract for a big. In the end it didn't work out as great for us as we would've liked, but it wasn't a bad trade at the time, imo.  Hopefully he gets healthy and productive again this year if we keep him.

I get you.  However, the problem is that they ended up getting Aldridge because of us.   I know that's the Hallmark of you get what you need and we get what we need, however... my thought is.. were there other bigs that we could have had for cheaper?  Like Zaza?  Are there other Points that we could have for Cheaper.. Like Jack or Sessions?  It's not that we don't get what we need... It's that it seems like Bud is only shopping at Kroger.. when there's a Publix, Whole Foods, and a Wayfield Foods on the same street.