• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Superman vs Softman (the comparison that will change every squawkers tone).

thecampster

Let me add a disclaimer, Boston is not getting the second coming of Bill Russell or Dave Cowans. When Al turns in a three rebound game without sniffing the paint they will find out what we know. Al can not carry a team he needs a strong center to help him.  I'm tired of seeing the same old teams winning every year. Why not Atlanta ?

3 hours ago, jhay610 said:

Isn't Al's move to the perimeter more a result of Coach Bud's philosophy? He developed the 3-point shot under Bud's watch. 

Its probaby a bit of both.  They both knew Horf was a bit undersized at center so he moved further away from the basket.  That and Horf has some range, so why not use it?

I dont think Bud is married to having center who has range.  He helped to develop the Spurs system with Duncan, who isn't known for his shooting.

• Moderators

The best number to see Al's decline in his aggression is his defensive rebounding.

Also, comparison is apt.  One played center for the Hawks; the other will.  It is a direct replacement so fair to compare.  Maybe looking at last few years would help focus on what we are getting and losing today.

• Premium Member
On 7/3/2016 at 2:28 PM, thecampster said:

Maybe the biggest indictment against Softman is his 1.6 FTA/game last year on 12.8 shot attempts (2.5 FTA/game for his career). As opposed to Superman's 8.9 FTA/game for his career. (6.7 last season on just 8.5 shot attempts).

With Whoreford,

There was a definite lack of aggressiveness last year that put the burden on everybody else to do something.  Teague hit more three.   Dennis played a little better.  Sap did his best Hercules impression.  I think that now.. we will be a changed team.   PNR, PNP,  Inside out play will be what we will be known by. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, jhay610 said:

Let's hope you're right, but I would say back + knee > torn pec.  It is obvious Howard doesn't move laterally as well as he used to. 

There's a psychology of injury though.   Al has torn his pec 2 times.   What do you think his psychology is now?  I believe that he has become more soft because he's unwilling to be injured.   Maybe he goes to Boston and tries hard.. but if he gets injured again, I think it's a wrap...

Have any of you seen the ESPN highlights of Al while they are talking about Al going to the Seltics - all dunks, put back, lobs etc - I'm like damn - that's some Allstar stuff, who is this guy - If only we saw that from him consistently. 

Al is now a Star since he moved to Boston.

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Have any of you seen the ESPN highlights of Al while they are talking about Al going to the Seltics - all dunks, put back, lobs etc - I'm like damn - that's some Allstar stuff, who is this guy - If only we saw that from him consistently. 

Boston is in for a rude awakening.

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yup... Al is a complete and total star now that Boston signed him. If we had resigned him, the media would have said the Hawks made a questionable move resigning an aging all star...

WHAT DID WE EVER DO TO THE MEDIA...

ps Honestly I've been on a roller coaster ride emotionally since the finals. I had a smile on my face for a week after the Warriors lost the finals...then pissed about not moving up in the draft, then happy about the draft...then mad about signing Dwight, then happy, then mad about Horford, then happy, then mad about Warriors and Durant...I need to check into a resting center of some kind with no cell phones or tv allowed.

• Moderators

It all depends on the expectations for Al there.  He will be a significant upgrade on Sullinger (if this is how we are framing it) but he isn't the engine to a championship team.  That team now looks like Al Horford (great skill and IQ big man who has shied away from contact in recent years), Thomas (loud mouth, talented scorer with questionable D) and a bunch of quality role players hoping that Brown makes the jump into stardom.  That is a playoff team in the 3-6 seed range that gets bounced in the first or second round of the playoffs (similar to a lot of other Horford teams).