• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Fanatic reveals on Peachtree the magic sauce for expanding our cap space

sturt

• Premium Member

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/7/3/12007692/how-much-cap-space-is-left-more-than-you-think

If this is his swan song, it is a sweet tune indeed.

The Cliff's notes (not that it's one of his longer articles) is that the Teague trade isn't officially done, and conceivably could be expanded so that HOU sends Dwight to us... essentially restoring Teague's $8m salary space to our cap room.

42 minutes ago, sturt said:

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/7/3/12007692/how-much-cap-space-is-left-more-than-you-think

If this is his swan song, it is a sweet tune indeed.

The Cliff's notes (not that it's one of his longer articles) is that the Teague trade isn't officially done, and conceivably could be expanded so that HOU sends Dwight to us... essentially restoring Teague's $8m salary space to our cap room.

I think  you missed the part in Dolfan's note that he'll  still be  writing over at  Peachtreehoops.  Article also previously posted.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think  you missed the part in Dolfan's note that he'll  still be  writing over at  Peachtreehoops.  Article also previously posted.

Read right over top of that, indeed.

Obviously playing "what if"... With Houston losing losing Howard and Indiana losing  Ian Mahinmi, both teams could use a healthy Splitter in their center rotation. The question is how healthy is he? Then I would send out either Muscala or Scott. That leaves us $20 for backups at C, PG, PF. I'd like to see Humphries back.

• Premium Member

Couple of things that I'll dare to suggest fanatic didn't take into account in his calculation... first that the number isn't $5m less than DH's salary, but a sum of salaries that multiplied by 1.25 (125%) produces his $22,488,038. Then, too, I would have thought that Teague's trade kicker ($800k?) also counts.

Notably, these combinations would seemingly work out... noting also that since signings won't occur for a few days yet, Dwight's salary can still be adjusted by a few thousand to make it work out exact.

Korver+Scott+Patterson = $9.447m

Splitter+Patterson = $9.424m

Sefalosha+Scott+Muscala = $9.073m

• Premium Member

Talking myself into the idea that HOU would be all-in on this... specifically, acquiring Splitter w/o having to give up any assets. Patterson thrown in for salary purposes, though HOU might give him a look in training camp, too.

2016-07-03_2152.png

• Premium Member

Many of you are probably ahead of me here... (either that or you're still working through your stages of grief toward acceptance....)

You're not going to be able to get enough value out of $20m of cap space to mitigate the talent you have to give up in order to get that cap space. That is, where are you going to get an ace defender for 3.5m?.... where are you going to get a sharp shooter for $5m?.... where are you going to get a credible C in this market for 8.5m?

Net negative to take this approach. We give up too much in view of how little can be acquired, and more over, that we create a new hole in our roster that has to be addressed. But at least I for one feel better having given it a closer look.

Not thinking anyone would trade for Scott's legal situation or the total lack of anything that Moose has displayed even at just one million for him. Tiago's injuries aside people just might be willing to trade for him with the understanding that his minutes are going to be limited. All three are just not good trading chips right now.

13 minutes ago, sturt said:

Many of you are probably ahead of me here... (either that or you're still working through your stages of grief toward acceptance....)

You're not going to be able to get enough value out of $20m of cap space to mitigate the talent you have to give up in order to get that cap space. That is, where are you going to get an ace defender for 3.5m?.... where are you going to get a sharp shooter for $5m?.... where are you going to get a credible C in this market for 8.5m?

Net negative to take this approach. We give up too much in view of how little can be acquired, and more over, that we create a new hole in our roster that has to be addressed. But at least I for one feel better having given it a closer look.

We discussed this in the other thread from HF's article.  Unless we know we are getting upgrades to Splitter, Scott and filler etc from the $20 mil in capspace created it doesn't really makes sense to do it.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We discussed this in the other thread from HF's article.  Unless we know we are getting upgrades to Splitter, Scott and filler etc from the $20 mil in capspace created it doesn't really makes sense to do it.

(Know you alluded to it, but never saw the other thread until just now, buried on page 2.... going to read now.)

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, DS5 said:

When will the nba make a decision on Scott? If he gets the OJ Mayo suspension, how does that affect our cap? Do we still have to account for his salary or do we get a pass?

1. Last summer, I read the CBA section on this, and my understanding is.... anytime they damn well please. But conventional thinking says they'll wait until his arraignment next week--if he pleads guilty, then there's seemingly no reason to hold off any further, but if he pleads not guilty, maybe this plays out further.

2/3. If we have already guaranteed it for 2016-17, then it becomes dead money.... again, that's my understanding based on what I read. There is no mechanism that gives us any new allowances to replace him.