• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Grant Hill USA Today Article

AHF

• Moderators

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/08/11/grant-hill-pursuing-dream-atlanta-hawks-ownership-group/88514190/

A little over three years ago, Grant Hill was in the twilight of an illustrious 19-year NBA career, with a Rookie of the Year award, an Olympic gold medal, seven All-Star appearances, and far too many injuries in the rearview.

Fast forward to today, and the potential future Hall of Famer is entering his second year as a partial owner of the Atlanta Hawks, carrying out a long-time dream as he looks to help steer one of the Eastern Conference's top teams in the right direction.

The ownership group, which is led by billionaire equity and investment fund manager Tony Ressler, purchased the Hawks last April in the wake of former ownerBruce Levenson's racist e-mail scandal. Hill, who is vice chair of the board, came to Atlanta with a plan to "do something amazing" for the city.

"Ownership and the idea of ownership is something that I've thought about for quite some time, going back to my early days and my early years in the NBA playing in Detroit," Hill told USA TODAY Sports.

"Just understanding from when I was young ... how powerful sports can be, and how it can inspire people, how it can bring people together. It can really galvanize a community, a city, and that's a huge responsibility."

At age 43, it's a responsibility Hill wasted no time pursuing after hanging up his sneakers.

"(Being an owner was) something that I've always sort of dreamed of and wanted to be a part of and quite candidly maybe didn't think it would happen this quickly after playing," Hill said. "But (I'm) very excited about our ownership group and about our team and our city."

Now with a year of ownership under his belt, Hill, a Duke graduate, says that one aspect that has been surprisingly fulfilling isn't the basketball operations, but the business side of things.

"Just understanding the many layers, the many departments and the many different areas where I can be of help," Hill said. "Whether it's in community relations and interacting with corporate partners to an event like (the Agency Shootout), there's so much going on. It's a business that, for one, I guess on the playing side I was not totally aware of all the many different intricacies that are involved with running a sports franchise. But it's quite fascinating and interesting."

From a basketball standpoint, having a former top-tier, widely-respected player like Hill as an active member of the organization is a luxury for Atlanta.

"Interacting with our general manager, or during the trade deadline, the draft, talking about players, inevitably strategizing throughout the season, I think I can add value and I think (the basketball operations personnel) feel that way," Hill said. "We have a good, healthy relationship."

But that's not to say his first year with the team was all smooth sailing. As can be expected as a former player takes the team executive route, Hill says he's still adjusting to certain aspects of ownership, particularly his interaction with the players.

"I was always sort of led to believe that owners are distractions and that locker room is a sanctuary," Hill said. "That's sort of — for 19 years — what I believed. Obviously owners would come around, particularly the managing partner, from time to time, but (the locker room) is (the players') space. That is their sanctuary. Respecting that but also being in the position to look to add value is something I'm figuring out."

Podcast:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/hawks/2016/08/11/grant-hill-atlanta-hawks-nba-a-to-z-podcast/88595308/

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

We are working aggressively and in a positive manner on our PR. Atl will soon be one of the NBA destinations that rocks!

• Like 3

I know we've beat this horse to death but for the life of me I still don't understand why Atlanta isn't at the top of players destination spots. If I was an outsider and didn't know anything about the NBA I would figure Atlanta should be up there with NY, Chicago, LA and Houston. I just don't get it.

1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

I know we've beat this horse to death but for the life of me I still don't understand why Atlanta isn't at the top of players destination spots. If I was an outsider and didn't know anything about the NBA I would figure Atlanta should be up there with NY, Chicago, LA and Houston. I just don't get it.

Our strip clubs use to be famous with visiting players in all sports back in the 80s, then I they became infamous ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Just imagine it, Georgia born Movie Stars , Singers, plus the likes of Grant Hill, Shaq, Barkely, Kenny, Ernie all hanging out on the sidelines before a Hawks game!

Speaking of Ernie, if you haven't watched the 30 for 30 on BSPN on him, please do so. I've been watching Ernie on tbs TNT since I was a kid and always thought he was a class act. When I saw this documentary, I thought even more of him. Such a real human! 

4 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Speaking of Ernie, if you haven't watched the 30 for 30 on BSPN on him, please do so. I've been watching Ernie on tbs TNT since I was a kid and always thought he was a class act. When I saw this documentary, I thought even more of him. Such a real human! 

Same here my friend. Ernie and his dad were like a part of the family. Watching them in our living on the superstation as a kid! I did see that 30 for 30. The man is a saint and a whole lot stronger than you would be led to believe by his appearance. Barkely loves him like a father or brother; watching that show anyone can see why.

Edited by Buzzard

5 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I blame past management. I could imagine plenty of guys would have loved to played in the 90s in ATL. You got two superstars in Nique and Deion in town.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

I blame past management. I could imagine plenty of guys would have loved to played in the 90s in ATL. You got two superstars in Nique and Deion in town.

No that's the thing. They didn't even want to play here in the 90's. That's what's so crazy about it.

44 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

No that's the thing. They didn't even want to play here in the 90's. That's what's so crazy about it.

I still think of the mid 70s to late 80s as our hey day. Maybe it is just me reminiscing but it seems like Turner put us on the map by buying the franchise and hiring Hubie Brown. He then kept us on the map with Fratello and Wilkins. An owner with Ted's media presence and willingness to part with his money was awesome.

We were always in the news. Whether it be Sports Illustrated or the Atlanta Journal Constitution, the Hawks were talked about constantly.

As the movie industry grows here, I suspect Atlanta will become more and more attractive.   I do think more investment in downtown is needed to make the game day experience better.  right now all you do is drive or MARTA to Phillips, watch the game , then leave.   some stuff is beginning to come in, but the pedestrian access is awful and navigating the construction feels dangerous, especially with young kids.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Atlanta doesnt have the international reach that those cities do.

15 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I could imagine the Nique trade hurt. Besides Shaq was there any big name FAs ATL went after in the 90s?

33 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

I could imagine the Nique trade hurt. Besides Shaq was there any big name FAs ATL went after in the 90s?

Even before the Nique trade, we couldn't attract a guy to help Nique. Also, we never went after shaq, that's a lie.