• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The ex-Hawk All-Stars Thread

Gray Mule

• Moderators

That sense of home initially appealed to 2015 All-Star Jeff Teague, who was thrilled to be traded from Atlanta to play for his hometown Indiana Pacers in June. (The three-team swap — which sent George Hill, also an Indianapolis native, away from his hometown club — was the only trade to bring a veteran back to his hometown last offseason. The other nine players making a return trip all signed as free agents.)

Teague, a point guard with a mural of Indianapolis tattoos on his left arm, says he prioritizes his family; after the trade he moved into the basement of the house he bought for his parents. But as much as he loves being around his folks, the 28-year-old said in an interview that playing at home “is definitely not what I expected” so far. It’s been challenging to deal with so many people coming out of the woodwork to ask him for tickets, Teague said.

“Honestly, it’s a lot easier playing in a place where you don’t know anyone, because no one really bothers you,” said Teague. “At home, everybody knows you. People ask for everything. And I try to tell them, ‘Talk to my parents,’ or just turn them down. But it’s hard to say no. Sometimes I just end up giving into it.”

Requests, some of them from family friends he doesn’t know, weigh on Teague. “I end up having to buy and buy and buy, because there’s no way around it,” he said. “It’s not cheap, and it’s definitely not ideal.”

herring-hometownheroes-1-new.png?quality

I love Dwight in this article.

“I bought my parents courtside seats, and I got a suite for my kids. Other than that, people are grown and there’s this thing called Ticketmaster that they can use,” said Dwight Howard, the Atlanta native who in July signed with the Hawks. “Everybody knew I was gonna handle it that way, because I sat down with them in advance and told them I’m not spending extra money on things like that.”

~lw3

• Like 3

• Moderators

Reminds me of Kenny Anderson

"You want to spend YOUR money the way YOU want to spend your money," said former high school phenom Kenny Anderson. He was the youngest player in the league when he signed with the New Jersey nets back in 1991. Over the next 14 seasons he earned around $60 million. But now, nearly all of that is gone.

When he made it, his family felt they'd made it, too. And for Kenny, a sense of obligation kicked in.

"My accountant used to laugh at me sometimes; he's like, 'You're not even spending your money. Other people are spending your money!'" said Anderson.

The first thing he bought as a rookie? A house for his mom. Then he started writing checks to his siblings. "I'm giving my sisters and my brothers allowance, you know? They're grown people. Allowance? You know what I mean?"

"How much of an allowance?" asked Cowan.

"You know, $3,000 to $5,000 a month."

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Reminds me of Kenny Anderson

His siblings probably have more money that he does right now, if they banked that 3-5 thou a month. Sad really.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Tami is to blame...lol..running around with the real housewives of shittown!

Sidenote: Brushing up on my reality TV characters, since I can't keep seem to keep them straight:

While "Tami" Roman (Kenny's ex) is on Basketball Wives LA, "Tammy" McCall-Browning of Real Housewives of Atlanta was formerly attached to another former Hawk: Stacey Augmon.

Stacey and "Tammy" have a hip-hop-artist son, the Drop-dancing Freedom "Freco" Augmon.

~lw3

1 hour ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Sidenote: Brushing up on my reality TV characters, since I can't keep seem to keep them straight:

While "Tami" Roman (Kenny's ex) is on Basketball Wives LA, "Tammy" McCall-Browning of Real Housewives of Atlanta was formerly attached to another former Hawk: Stacey Augmon.

Stacey and "Tammy" have a hip-hop-artist son, the Drop-dancing Freedom "Freco" Augmon.

~lw3

Haha...I read all that twice and I'm still dumbfounded...:-|