• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why isn't the offense going through Howard more?

JackB1

17 hours ago, AHF said:

Where do you see the touches numbers?  I am missing them under usage, traditional, advanced, etc.

On 11/29/2016 at 0:47 PM, JackB1 said:

look...it's obvious to all we are struggling on offense, so why aren't we going to Dwight more?  Why aren't we designing our offense to be more centered around 

getting the ball to Howard down low or working it inside out to our 3 point shooters?  We need to drastically change our play calling from last year and start going with

what works more.  Howard needs more touches...a lot more.  He is almost unstoppable at times, but then the ball stops going to him.  Why?  Why doesn't Bud see this

as the right way to play this year???

Because our passing and ball movement is not good.  Also, Dwight doesn't really move, and he sets uninspiring picks.  Part of the problem is the poor passing and part of the problem is the team failing to move without the ball.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2016 at 4:22 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I agree with 'feed him when he has deep position' but if that option is not there, traditional post ups don't work on a regular basis.

Feeding the post is a work in progress with this team.

Not seeing a whole lot of work or progress frankly.

2 hours ago, Watchman said:

Not seeing a whole lot of work or progress frankly.

Well, we've scored 100 points in 2 consecutive games, think we went 7 games without doing that.  So that's a start.

They really need to get a handle on these mindless turnovers.  I tossed my remote for the first time in a long while.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Sothron said:

Btw Dwight was 8-10 last night. He makes his shots. We need to get him the ball more. The guy clearly can still score at a very high level when given the chance.

That bank shot is really nice.   He hasn't shot a ton of them this year but i think i've only seen him miss one or two.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Sothron said:

I am serious. I know most people don't remember a NBA that had great post players but you want them touching the ball every trip down in the half court. Make the other team foul them. Make them get into foul trouble as a team. Even a 50% FT guy in Dwight is going to score enough points and enable the rest of the team to get to the line if you give him enough touches.

There are very few people that can guard him straight up in the low post. We should be abusing that as much as possible. Dwight is not a stretch five or a pick n pop guy that can get assists off open looks like Horford. He is a beast inside and we need to feed him.

The rest of the team should be able to live off open looks and better spacing as a result.

My question is who is the comparable great post player to whom you would compare Dwight.  There is a reason the Rockets did this inside out approach with Hakeem but didn't do it with the more mechanical Otis Thorpe.

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

My question is who is the comparable great post player to whom you would compare Dwight.  There is a reason the Rockets did this inside out approach with Hakeem but didn't do it with the more mechanical Otis Thorpe.

I would say Dwight is closest to Alonzo Mourning. They are both very stiff type muscular physiques, both have tremendous rebounding and shot blocking talent, neither has or had a dominant go to move, both have a jump hook or sweeping bunny hook shot. Neither could pass well (although I'd definitely give the nod to Zo). I wouldn't call Zo a great post player offensively, but he obviously is in the discussion for top 20 centers if all time. 

He is the closest guy i can think of that reminds me of what Dwight is and I guess could be.

Body wise, also David Robinson, but Robinson is head and shoulders above Dwight. I'd say Zo is as well, but I just couldn't even begin with the Robinson comparison. 

2 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I would say Dwight is closest to Alonzo Mourning. They are both very stiff type muscular physiques, both have tremendous rebounding and shot blocking talent, neither has or had a dominant go to move, both have a jump hook or sweeping bunny hook shot. Neither could pass well (although I'd definitely give the nod to Zo). I wouldn't call Zo a great post player offensively, but he obviously is in the discussion for top 20 centers if all time. 

He is the closest guy i can think of that reminds me of what Dwight is and I guess could be.

Body wise, also David Robinson, but Robinson is head and shoulders above Dwight. I'd say Zo is as well, but I just couldn't even begin with the Robinson comparison. 

Love the comparison. Alonzo also had the passion and fire to lead. He was all out hustle.

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I am not ashamed to admit I have a Zo Hornets M&N jersey and always play the 92/93 Hornets in NBA 2k because of how much I loved Zo and Granmama.

That is a great comparison. Zo was good in the post and very effective without having a great move or being a great FT shooter (although he was better than Dwight). The Hornets and Heat fed a healthy Zo like crazy. We should do that with our Zo.

Although to be fair Dwight plays hard but still has some moments where he does not hustle. Zo was all heart, passion and hustle. I can't put into words how much I respect that esp. from a big man.

• Like 1

Mourning whas much more savy, confident and also had a midrange game before his decline. Over his career as a relevant player he shot about 40% of all his FG attempts from midrange. One year even 67%. Only the washed up Mourning wasnt able to do that any more.

He just had more finesse and whas also a good passer. Nvm his positioning on D. Dwight has the edge on athletisiscm and explosiveness though.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DS17Fanboy said:

Mourning whas much more savy, confident and also had a midrange game before his decline. Over his career as a relevant player he shot about 40% of all his FG attempts from midrange. One year even 67%. Only the washed up Mourning wasnt able to do that any more.

He just had more finesse and whas also a good passer. Nvm his positioning on D. Dwight has the edge on athletisiscm and explosiveness though.

I forgot about Zo's midrange game, his shot was money. 

• Moderators

Ewing annoyed me because they let him walk nearly every time in the post with his stupid "superstar approved pet move" that the refs would call on other people.  

How can you not love Hakeem?

Mourning I liked better as a fan before he went to Miami.  I liked watching him play in Charlotte with Grandmama, Dell Curry and Muggsy Bogues. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Ewing annoyed me because they let him walk nearly every time in the post with his stupid "superstar approved pet move" that the refs would call on other people.  

How can you not love Hakeem?

Mourning I liked better as a fan before he went to Miami.  I liked watching him play in Charlotte with Grandmama, Dell Curry and Muggsy Bogues. 

I agree but he was one of the sweetest shooting centers I've ever seen. If only he finished with a dunk instead of that super lame finger roll. Maybe he would be remembered differently.

• Premium Member

The best low post player of all time wasn't even a center. It was a PF. Kevin McHale was simply on another planet as a low post player. I studied his moves like crazy when I played and even as a short PG I could do stuff in a post up that no one expected. I wish Dwight had picked up more from McHale in the low post game.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sothron said:

The best low post player of all time wasn't even a center. It was a PF. Kevin McHale was simply on another planet as a low post player. I studied his moves like crazy when I played and even as a short PG I could do stuff in a post up that no one expected. I wish Dwight had picked up more from McHale in the low post game.

Agree with this very much. The guy wasn't even a starter for some years...crazy.

BTW, speaking of McHale, has anyone been following the NBA tv best moves bracket? Well they put McHale's low post move vs Nique's spin move and McHale advanced. It's true but as a Hawks fan, I hate it.lol

31 minutes ago, Sothron said:

He had moves out the wazoo.

On 12/1/2016 at 0:21 PM, Sothron said:

I am not ashamed to admit I have a Zo Hornets M&N jersey and always play the 92/93 Hornets in NBA 2k because of how much I loved Zo and Granmama.

That is a great comparison. Zo was good in the post and very effective without having a great move or being a great FT shooter (although he was better than Dwight). The Hornets and Heat fed a healthy Zo like crazy. We should do that with our Zo.

Although to be fair Dwight plays hard but still has some moments where he does not hustle. Zo was all heart, passion and hustle. I can't put into words how much I respect that esp. from a big man.

@SothronYou wanted Zo n grandmama u got them! Unfortunately Ewing was too much for me :-(

IMG_7185.JPG

IMG_7186.JPG

IMG_7187.JPG

IMG_7188.JPG