• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My current season review

thecampster

A whole lot of talk during this season about "is Dwight working", where is Paul going, is Dennis good enough, who told Muscala a man bun was a good idea and misty-eyed Korver fans. So I thought I'd add my very odd take.

In the middle of this season, Paul Millsap began playing hurt, Dennis went through an experimental phase and the world discovered that Kyle Korver couldn't close out on a girl-scout selling cookies at Kroger if she was selling them in 3 boxed sets. During this stretch, the Hawks when 1-10.

We are exactly 1/2 of the way through the season. Our current record is 24-17. When you take the 1-10 fiasco out of the mix, the Hawks' record is an extremely respectable 23-7, a pace of 63 wins and a 76%+ winning percentage. Are the Hawks that 63 win team? Probably not, but they are better than their current pace of 48 wins. When you consider that the Cavs are 29-11 and winning at a 71% clip, it is not the time to blow this team up and I think cooler heads prevailed at Phillips. This "team" is much better than people/writers have given them credit for because of the 1-10 blip. 

I predict we will be buyers, not sellers at the trade deadline and this team is much better designed to compete in May than in November.  Playoff basketball relies on rebounding above every other metric to win. IMHO, we are one player away from competing for a championship and that player is already on the roster. The season is in the hands of Dennis. Maturation on the part of Dennis into a complete point guard, one who is always thinking of setting up a teammate first, is the key to November.

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

A whole lot of talk during this season about "is Dwight working", where is Paul going, is Dennis good enough, who told Muscala a man bun was a good idea and misty-eyed Korver fans. So I thought I'd add my very odd take.

In the middle of this season, Paul Millsap began playing hurt, Dennis went through an experimental phase and the world discovered that Kyle Korver couldn't close out on a girl-scout selling cookies at Kroger if she was selling them in 3 boxed sets. During this stretch, the Hawks when 1-10.

We are exactly 1/2 of the way through the season. Our current record is 24-17. When you take the 1-10 fiasco out of the mix, the Hawks' record is an extremely respectable 23-7, a pace of 63 wins and a 76%+ winning percentage. Are the Hawks that 63 win team? Probably not, but they are better than their current pace of 48 wins. When you consider that the Cavs are 29-11 and winning at a 71% clip, it is not the time to blow this team up and I think cooler heads prevailed at Phillips. This "team" is much better than people/writers have given them credit for because of the 1-10 blip. 

I predict we will be buyers, not sellers at the trade deadline and this team is much better designed to compete in May than in November.  Playoff basketball relies on rebounding above every other metric to win. IMHO, we are one player away from competing for a championship and that player is already on the roster. The season is in the hands of Dennis. Maturation on the part of Dennis into a complete point guard, one who is always thinking of setting up a teammate first, is the key to November.

Squawkers on fire today.  My cheeks and stomach hurt from all the laughing.

On topic - one of the main  concerns coming  into the season was Dennis and his shooting, so far so good.  Turnovers  were  a problem to start the season for him and the team,  turnovers per game are coming down. He is playing a controlled game most nights. If Baze continues to trend upwards like he has since the calender flipped to 2017, that only helps the team.

As long as our  defense holds, the offense can continue to be a work in progress.

26 minutes ago, sturt said:

As long as we don't have to play Detroit, right?

What the hell? Two blow-outs to that team?

Sometimes it's just certain matchups. In our 2014-15 season I think the Bucks beat us in Atlanta pretty badly when we were far superior. Or an off night, or just a long grinding NBA schedule.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, thecampster said:

Well I couldn't figure out why we laid a brown egg last night.  Then I get on the squawk and see this.   Way to go @thecampster!!!!   Jinx much?    :argh:  (jk)

You know when we lose badly with this lady in the house that something has gone horribly wrong.   Even little O couldn't save us last night :Olivia:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sturt said:

As long as we don't have to play Detroit, right?

What the hell? Two blow-outs to that team?

It's strange, I feel like we could potentially lose a series to a team like Detroit or Minnesota but at the same time I don't see us getting swept by a team like Cleveland this year either.

5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Well I couldn't figure out why we laid a brown egg last night.  Then I get on the squawk and see this.   Way to go @thecampster!!!!   Jinx much?    :argh:  (jk)

You know when we lose badly with this lady in the house that something has gone horribly wrong.   Even little O couldn't save us last night :Olivia:

Dude!!! I thought the same thing the whole time I was driving into work last night and listening to the game. I have refused to say anything positive or negative about the Falcons to anyone this week and just in case the universe can read. "I am not in favor of or against any possible outcome involving or not involving the Atlanta Falcons or any other football team this week or any other group of 11 or so men playing with an oblong or not leather ball"

• Like 2

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Dude!!! I thought the same thing the whole time I was driving into work last night and listening to the game. I have refused to say anything positive or negative about the Falcons to anyone this week and just in case the universe can read. "I am not in favor of or against any possible outcome involving or not involving the Atlanta Falcons or any other football team this week or any other group of 11 or so men playing with an oblong or not leather ball"

lmao.    Yes.   The Falcons are playing a football game I hear.  And it may rain.  or not.