• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bazemore was our PG for a good hunk of that comeback

sturt

• Premium Member

Bothered Kyrie in a big way... scored some... rebounded some... has me wanting to see more of that if/when we're playing all-star quality PGs. Bud's had him defending big wings, but tonight suggests he can play a kryptonite role when the opposing PG is tearing us up.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Nah he was switched onto him earlier and was taken to school for the majority of the time.

Nah Bud said in the post game that Blaze ran the point for a long stretch of the 4th. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, hazer said:

Nah Bud said in the post game that Blaze ran the point for a long stretch of the 4th. 

I absolutely despise Bazemore, but no, sorry, he did not guard Irving well either. He was on him much earlier even with Dennis still out there and was getting whipped.

70 million.

For a cheerleader.

SMH

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

And, you'll notice that once Schröder came back in, the rally stopped.  I'd rather see a starting backcourt of Bazemore and Hardaway, and let Schröder come off the bench.  He is more in the Lou Williams mold. 

Good point guards eat his lunch most of the time (recent exception being IT.)

• Like 1

Dennis is capable but I've said he's more worried about the SHOWTIME! play than the right play in National TV games and that's horrible. Kent does not deserve props for 6 minutes, he was getting whipped as well. You can't be down and out and suddenly decide "oh! we need to lock it down!".

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Per Bud.

I thought Kent Bazemore basically played as our point guard for the last six minutes. I thought he got us into stuff, got us to the right spots, got it to Timmy coming off some pin-down situations.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/3/4/14812990/hawks-fall-short-in-comeback-against-record-breaking-cavaliers

Bud wakes up this morning, and thinks... "hmmmm.... now that I think about it... Calderon?... or Jimmer???... maybe I don't  need another PG."

(hehe)

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Watchman said:

And, you'll notice that once Schröder came back in, the rally stopped.  I'd rather see a starting backcourt of Bazemore and Hardaway, and let Schröder come off the bench.  He is more in the Lou Williams mold. 

Good point guards eat his lunch most of the time (recent exception being IT.)

I swear, Dennis seems to me to always have better defensive numbers  than what my eyes tells me he ought  to have. And moreover, my eyes tell me that Schröder could be an absolute defensive demon with his body type and his quickness, and/but even as he sometimes gives good effort, it just seems like he's so much more capable than what plays out.

Am I alone on that?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sturt said:

I swear, Dennis seems to me to always have better defensive numbers  than what my eyes tells me he ought  to have. And moreover, my eyes tell me that Schröder could be an absolute defensive demon with his body type and his quickness, and/but even as he sometimes gives good effort, it just seems like he's so much more capable than what plays out.

Am I alone on that?

Agreed. I think and hope it's just some seasoning that he might need to add to his physical gifts. You are right, with his basketball build and tools, he should be a top 10 guy in steals for sure.

That's were we are now? Cheering about six minutes? Seems everybody needs something to be happy about... But let's not forget about the other 1614 minutes Kent played for the Hawks after signing that contract...
But I do agree, Dennis tends to fade away on national televised games... But it seems he needs a tansition season to become really comfortable with his new role. But since he only makes $2.7M this year I'm looking forward to his next season to see if he can live up to his new contract. Baze hasn't so far...

• Premium Member

I suppose taking note of a player doing something positive when the headwinds are blowing the other way can seem a lot like cheering when you're part of that draft.... hehe.

But in truth, it was more an interesting point to me, in that, I'd never really thought to consider Baze in that role at a critical juncture, but turns out, I should have (thought). In theory, it makes a lot of sense... I'd much rather have him facing off with point guards than with small forwards... he's got some quickness in him to keep up with the shorter guys, but the larger guys just have these big shoulders and big chests, and though he may win some battles, overall, the good SFs just out-physical him. His extra length and especially his long arms, though, has the potential to play more havoc with a Kyrie Irving type player.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think Baze could be a plus defender if he was defending guards. His effort is always there but he isn't a SF and shouldn't be guarding them. He seems like a guy that plays better when he is involved, so I could see why he could excel playing point for a few minutes a game. He's been one of the few players who talk about how important it is for us to move the ball to succeed and that mindset probably helps him when he's running the offense.

On Saturday, March 04, 2017 at 0:43 AM, sturt said:

No. Sorry. The original post says nothing about when Kyrie was the primary responsibility of Schröder or Delaney. It only speaks to the period of time late in the game when Kyrie was the primary responsibility of Baze.

We earn credibility when we concede reality even when it doesn't fit the otherwise-working-theory we hold. Just sayin.

I freely suspend reality to fit my narratives.  At least I'm honest about it.  hehe

That said, I agree Skip was in at the 1 during the rally and played well.  However, I'd say it was more chance and a Dennis bad night than some indication that we shld play that way more often.

Pure chance that Skip didn't puke all over himself with a combo of poor quick shots 'n turnovers.

Recall that Dennis has played well vs kyme multiple games.  Friday was more of an aberration imeo.  Could it be the national stage pressing?  Perhaps.

Long story long, Skip isn't a point so let's not overreact to what we saw Friday.

Class dismissed.

• Premium Member

Yes, honesty appreciated.

Not sure I get the logic, tho. He played well, but it was just by random chance that he played well?

I agree, small sample size here, but I can't help but to be intrigued.

If Teague is a problem for Schröder today, I want to see what happens if Baze gets 5 minutes defending him.