Let's talks Hawks playoff scenarios

ViewsFromTheSquawk

Alright hoorah hoorah we made it 10 years straight, but what's the plan for the playoffs? Look this team has been up and down all year but one thing is for damn sure.... they play up to their competition no matter whose on the court for us. So what do y'all think? Should we want an earlier matchup with Cleveand so Thompson won't be back at 100% or should we try to avoid them as late as possible? Also, who would y'all wanna play in round 1? My obvious choice is Boston because we own them, but the only way we'd secure that matchup is if we lose out and Indiana wins out... which could happen but we'd need to slip up to not only them but the hornets. Either way tho my dream scenario is if we do win our round 1 series in a 6 or 7 seed we'd face Boston or Toronto either way. The team I don't wanna play is WASHINGTON because they have all the ingredients to topple our Hawks. So lay it out fellas/ladies who y'all wanna see in Round 1  and beyond? 

round 1....Hawks #7 vs Celts #2

round 2... winner of 3/6 (prolly Wiz or Raps I'm hoping Wiz)

round 3...(most likely Cavs)

round 4 (Clippers Spurs Warriors, in order of preference).

• Premium Member

This question is all about personnel usage.  We match up well against everyone but Bud just has to make the right personnel decisions...Something he struggles with.  For example, Bud likes to match Millsap with Kevin love which is basically suicide...Kevin love kills Millsap but Bud is too dumb to realize it.  Ilyasova is a much better choice but you know Bud won't see it that way.  I know that it is popular around here to blame the players for everything...I guess I just see things differently.

24 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This question is all about personnel usage.  We match up well against everyone but Bud just has to make the right personnel decisions...Something he struggles with.  For example, Bud likes to match Millsap with Kevin love which is basically suicide...Kevin love kills Millsap but Bud is too dumb to realize it.  Ilyasova is a much better choice but you know Bud won't see it that way.  I know that it is popular around here to blame the players for everything...I guess I just see things differently.

insertoldladywat.gif

This has not been Bud's best season, but let's not act like "personnel decisions" has cost the Hawks multiple games. This team is as it looks. The C and PG might have the worst chemistry in the NBA. Young guards probably won't lead you to wins alone unless they are super hot, or face an unmotivated team.

I guess I'm leading the train on Washington in the first round is the worst case scenario, yes, over Cleveland for the Hawks. They are still very angry about 2015 and it now fuels them in a good way, Morris has helped equalize what was their biggest problem on the Hawks (Paul Millsap), and while they don't have good defense, their best two defenders are enough to lock the Hawks biggest perimeter threats. It'd be worse than Washington-Toronto from 2015.

The worst case scenario playoff wise is to stay in the 4/5. It's not due to Cleveland probably waiting in the second half, its because an angry and motivated Washington will stomp on you.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Lurker said:

insertoldladywat.gif

This has not been Bud's best season, but let's not act like "personnel decisions" has cost the Hawks multiple games. This team is as it looks. The C and PG might have the worst chemistry in the NBA. Young guards probably won't lead you to wins alone unless they are super hot, or face an unmotivated team.

Who kept putting them together and forcing Dennis to feed the post without making sure Dennis could even feed the post????

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Who kept putting them together and forcing Dennis to feed the post without making sure Dennis could even feed the post????

The thing with it tho is here recently our starting lineup without Baze and Sap has been stellar... it's just our bench hasn't been good because they were absent. Do y'all think Bud would make Sap/Baze stay on the bench, because the starting lineup we have been currently using (DS17,THJ,TP,SOVA,D8) is and has been great! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

The thing with it tho is here recently our starting lineup without Baze and Sap has been stellar... it's just our bench hasn't been good because they were absent. Do y'all think Bud would make Sap/Baze stay on the bench, because the starting lineup we have been currently using (DS17,THJ,TP,SOVA,D8) is and has been great! 

You really can't be serious if you think that lineup will translate when the lights come on.

30 minutes ago, Lurker said:

You really can't be serious if you think that lineup will translate when the lights come on.

Dead serious.... that lineup has been great in our run without Baze/Sap starting. And even tho the record says the otherwise in the time we've used it let's not pretend like we've failed because of that starting lineup. They've been in the positive on +/- in every game... it's been the bench that's struggled because we weren't as deep without Baze/Sap, but with them 2 coming off the bench with that 2nd unit we looked dominant against one of the supposedly best team in the East... All I'm saying is if it ain't broke don't fix it! 

The reason why that lineup works so well opposed to the normal one with Baze/Sap/Thabo is because the replacements compliment the other players in the lineup. With the one we've been using with Sova,THJ,and TP it gives us hard dribble penetrators at the 1/3 spots while giving us a jump shooting creator at the 2 guard to compliment. And down low we got the physical post presence D8 with the 40+ % shooting Ersan as a solid versatile stretch 4. With that lineup everyone compliments one another. 

As for the casual one (DS17,Baze,Thabo,Sap,D8) hardly anyone compliments each other. DS17 and Baze are both attack energy guards who'll clog the paint with 2 post presences down low in Sap and Howard giving us little to operate with, and with Thabo playing the 3 who provides no spacing our offense looks horrid unless we're playing a smaller team or one without a shot blocking big because our casual starting 5 has no spacing. 

Heck even the benches in comparison are better... 

Our main 5 bench guys with Sap/Baze compliments one another because we got Baze as the main attack guard and ball handler to go with Shooters in the backcourt like Dunleavy and Jose and down low we got versatile Humphries to go with the all star post presence in Millsap. You take those 2 out of the bench rotation our depth looks depleted aside from the SG spot and teams go on massive runs because our bench has little athleticism without Sap/Baze aside From prince (and occasionally Bembry when he plays). That's just how I see it tho... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Actually, by the numbers, that's been one of the worst lineups of the year.  I think they just had 1 or 2 great stretches, but overall they've been bad together.  They're ( -12.0 points ) on the floor per 100 possessions together.

The optimum starting lineup would be Dennis - THJ - Thabo - Millsap - Howard.  They're ( +22.7 points ) on the floor per 100 possessions.

55 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The other thing is Bud's consistent playing of Thabo and Sefolosha together, until he was forced not to do so ( due to injuries ). 

He'd better, tough to separate :laugh:.

On 4/9/2017 at 11:53 AM, Peoriabird said:

:blink:When has Kevin Love ever killed Milsap? Show me examples!  If I remember correctly, K. Love CAN'T guard Milsap.  The only player who seems to shut Milsap down offensively on the Cavs is Tristan Thompson.  However, if Dwight's on the floor TT has to guard Dwight and we all saw how that experiment went in the first game between these two teams.  

Millsap-Love basically cancels each other out because Millsap doesn't defend stretch big men well and this dates back to pre Dwight.

Shoot he wasn't even on Love yesterday. He was on Frye and both him and Howard were playing trash PNR defense when out there together. It may seem funny but recent history says if Millsap isn't on LeBron he will play trash defense against their stretch big men against the Cavs. His bad defense against Frye/Love almost singlehandedly was why the Hawks lost the home set against the Cavs last spring in the playoffs. I mean there was almost no other reason. Kyrie will score and LeBron will be LeBron. You can't let Frye/Love get and make a ton of quality threes.

• Like 1