• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dennis Schröder, I hope you watched how we need to play from here on out

NBASupes

repost (because it seems necessary):

Incredible how many Hawks Fans are hating on Dennis. But if you don't understand that you have to run picknrolls up to vomiting with him as your primary ballhandler I don't know what to respond. Bud has to make adjustments. Trade Dennis or build your offense on Schröder picknrolls (if Howard refuses to be the rollman replace him)

13 minutes ago, ISOJOE said:

Incredible how many Hawks Fans are hating on Dennis. But if you don't understand that you have to run picknrolls up to vomiting with him as your primary ballhandler I don't know what to respond. Bud has to make adjustments. Trade Dennis or build your offense on Schröder picknrolls (if Howard refuses to be the rollman replace him)

He's not good enough to build an offense around. The only thing he does really well is get to the rim. His playmaking, defense, and his ability as a floor general is really lacking right now.

Howard either physically can't run the offense consistently or doesn't care to. It's not that hard to run Bud's offense, and it's looked better with Howard not playing the majority of the time, even when Dennis is in. There are occasions where it doesn't, but a lot of the time, it does. OKC/Denver are the references.

And I don't care about him posting up or even him getting better at passing. That's not the Hawks offense. He at the very least needs to consistently dive hard to the hole on PNR. Or he needs to be a bench player. No post ups at all, unless it's a mismatch.

The way Dennis has played lately outside of a couple games is really bugging me. But in an offense that isn't about 1 on 1, it's not just on one player. The center needs to set screens and dive hard.

3 minutes ago, Marvin24Williams said:

He's not good enough to build an offense around. The only thing he does really well is get to the rim. His playmaking, defense, and his ability as a floor general is really lacking right now.

He'd look a lot better if he had a modern PNR big to play with. He does not know how to feed the post, so he should not play with Dwight. Period.

None of the younger players really do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

He'd look a lot better if he had a modern PNR big to play with. He does not know how to feed the post, so he should not play with Dwight. Period.

None of the younger players really do.

Am aware that PNR is one of his biggest strengths. Just saying that he has a lot of development to do if he's someone you're going to build the offense around. As of right now he is horrible at running a team. Honestly it's something that was very noticeable even when we had Teague and it was one of my main concerns with him. The dude looks too much for his own shot and it causes the ball to stick and he doesn't get his teammates involved most of the time.

Edited by Marvin24Williams

Here are two references. Dwight didn't start either of the games:

No Dwight, and look at how much better the offense looks. Geez I wonder why?

Yes, they made jumpers when they haven't been, but this is actually how Bud wants them to play. He wants the PG to be aggressive both as a scorer and passer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marvin24Williams said:

Am aware that PNR is one of his biggest strengths. Just saying that he has a lot of development to do if he's someone you're going to build the offense around. As of right now he is horrible at running a team. Honestly it's something that was very noticeable even when we had Teague and it was one of my main concerns with him. The dude looks too much for his own shot and it causes the ball to stick and he doesn't get his teammates involved most of the time.

Bud wants his PGs to be aggressive both as a scorer and passer.

47 minutes ago, ISOJOE said:

I am not saying trade Dennis. I actually like him but he needs to get it together and run the offense. 

• Like 3

I think having Jose is a blessing.  We keep acting like Dennis is a vet. He's still young and learning. Most of the season NO ONE was making shots so it was up to Dennis to call his own number.  Now that others are making their own shot, I think Dennis needs to call his jump shot a little less.  If he's getting to the rim and scoring, I'm ok.   Overall, this was a good win and let's just enjoy the psychotic ride this team is surely to take us on in the playoffs.

• Like 4

So it's Dennis fault every 3 ball by the cavs went in early? And his absence was the reason for a gassed LeBron fouling and turning over and the CAVs coming down to a normal percentage??? I'm tired of Bud. I get that he left in players starting the comeback, but he didn't even put in his best FT guy in in the foul situation with 6 sec to go, who by the way always gets free to catch the inbound...? 

I get the hate when Dennis turns the ball over a lot, but he didn't. His numbers outside of his +/- looked actually quite good. How can he be the only reason for his +/- in this case? By the way Sap looked worse before the comeback run... He got his chance to recover...

Outside of the comeback my highlight of the game was Ehen Kyrie crossed over CAVs fans already cheering but Dennis didn't really bite in the crossover and blocks the shot. I hope this is a sign for Dennis playing defense on the level he did previous season during playoffs

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, rd79 said:

So it's Dennis fault every 3 ball by the cavs went in early? And his absence was the reason for a gassed LeBron fouling and turning over and the CAVs coming down to a normal percentage??? I'm tired of Bud. I get that he left in players starting the comeback, but he didn't even put in his best FT guy in in the foul situation with 6 sec to go, who by the way always gets free to catch the inbound...? 

I get the hate when Dennis turns the ball over a lot, but he didn't. His numbers outside of his +/- looked actually quite good. How can he be the only reason for his +/- in this case? By the way Sap looked worse before the comeback run... He got his chance to recover...

Outside of the comeback my highlight of the game was Ehen Kyrie crossed over CAVs fans already cheering but Dennis didn't really bite in the crossover and blocks the shot. I hope this is a sign for Dennis playing defense on the level he did previous season during playoffs

The main criticism I had with Dennis may actually have something to do with Dwight, when they are on the floor together Hawks were getting torched by PNR that's why Cavs had so many WIDE OPEN looks from 3 to knock down in the first place.  Seems like the 2nd unit didn't have that problem as much, they were doing a better job challenging jump shooters.

I get the criticism about his defense but you forget that he is a good defender if he wants to. Watch the last two POs and a couple of RS games against very good PGs (last two vs IT, first game vs Irving, both games vs Curry, first game vs Conley etc.). The POs will be a good test to verify whether he is capable to do that over 35min/game in a 7 game series.

Maybe I have expressed myself incorrectly. Don't build your offense on his picknrolls but either play him offball (with an improved seondary ballhandler on the team (hopefully THjr)) -> his catchnshoot three is very solid and he could be a good cutter with his speed; or run the picknroll as soon as the ball is in his hands. He would have more energy for defense during the RS.

Edited by ISOJOE

7 hours ago, rd79 said:

The bolded is incorrect. The players we had in during OT was mostly our best FT shooters...

Delaney-80%

THJ-76% (very deceiving number because post all star break he's 84%)

Millsap-77%

Ilyasova-80%

Muscala-76%

Baze-71%

Calderon-88%

Lets just say I'm gonna hold off on buying that Dennis jersey until next training camp or even Nov. of next year....

duuuuuhhhh duhhhhh du dutttttttt

(J. Dragnet)

18 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

The bolded is incorrect. The players we had in during OT was mostly our best FT shooters...

Delaney-80%

THJ-76% (very deceiving number because post all star break he's 84%)

Millsap-77%

Ilyasova-80%

Muscala-76%

Baze-71%

Calderon-88%

Dennis Schröder 85.4% (post all star 92.1%) and he is the one who is quick enough to get free for the inbound. And I wrote about the last seconds where it was clear CAVs had to foul...

Edited by rd79