• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tony Ressler: "I make the final decision"

Bankingitbig

On 4/22/2017 at 10:42 AM, Bankingitbig said:

Jeff Schultz also wrote a decent article with a few more tidbits (one interesting point on the Horford negotiations).

Basically furthers my belief that the Howard signing was done more so by Koonin/Ressler than Budcox, along with ownership screwing up the Horford negotiations. But who knows... Good to see Ressler trying to get the Hawks more recognition in their own city though.

I think it was a Bud move. Good to see they didn't have to pay him near the 30 mil a year max to get him to come.

Edited by BigDog90

On 4/22/2017 at 11:25 AM, marco102 said:

Horford wanted to leave. Point blank and simple. He was talking to Isiah at the allstar game about Boston.  Ownership had nothing to do with that.

I think he would have stayed if he got offered the full max right away like Conley did. Crowder said he nearly signed with WAS (who didn't make the playoffs last season) and had to talk him out of signing there. It was definitely a money thing.

If he cared about winning like he says about Boston, he would have waited for KD and follow him.

On 4/22/2017 at 2:35 PM, JTB said:

Well that's interesting....hopefully all Hawks fans read this and get off of budcox back when things over the season goes wrong.

Yeah, rare for an owner to take accountability.

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's a lose-lose situation for ATL, pay him and ATL would be capped out and banking on Dennis, Hardaway and Prince to be a Big 3 while Millsap takes a backseat with a huge salary. Let him walk and they're going to get dogged out by local media and fans about losing two All Stars in back-to-back summers.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

It's a lose-lose situation for ATL, pay him and ATL would be capped out and banking on Dennis, Hardaway and Prince to be a Big 3 while Millsap takes a backseat with a huge salary. Let him walk and they're going to get dogged out by local media and fans about losing two All Stars in back-to-back summers.

If he won't come back for a reasonable deal, it's time to part ways. It's going to hurt the team short term, but it will allow the new ownership to build the team right this time. I love Sap but the Hawks come first and I hope ownership feels the same way and can make a rational decision when it's time to.

1 hour ago, hawkman said:

If he won't come back for a reasonable deal, it's time to part ways. It's going to hurt the team short term, but it will allow the new ownership to build the team right this time. I love Sap but the Hawks come first and I hope ownership feels the same way and can make a rational decision when it's time to.

What is a reasonable deal? Millsap is going to be looking for the max (as he should be). The new ownership that most likely was the main driving force of bringing in Dwight.... Not sure I want them making the decisions or doing things "right this time". Front office/ownership has kind of shot themselves in the foot whenever they talk about Millsap by saying they will do everything possible to bring him back. That means a max to me. Just say "We want Millsap back and will try to bring him back. We hope that he feels the same way." Simple... That way if they do decide not to offer the max and let him walk, then they don't look as bad to other players.

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

What is a reasonable deal? Millsap is going to be looking for the max (as he should be). The new ownership that most likely was the main driving force of bringing in Dwight.... Not sure I want them making the decisions or doing things "right this time". Front office/ownership has kind of shot themselves in the foot whenever they talk about Millsap by saying they will do everything possible to bring him back. That means a max to me. Just say "We want Millsap back and will try to bring him back. We hope that he feels the same way." Simple... That way if they do decide not to offer the max and let him walk, then they don't look as bad to other players.

Whatever allows room to build this team into a contender. A team capped out with Sap, Dennis, Baze, and Dwight taking up all of the $$$ is not going to cut it.

17 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Whatever allows room to build this team into a contender. A team capped out with Sap, Dennis, Baze, and Dwight taking up all of the $$$ is not going to cut it.

Sap's cap hold is ~$30M. He won't be taking a deal below that (his max starts at ~$35M). So we will have ~$86M of the $101M cap tied to those four players. Just saying... There really isn't a "reasonable" deal when it comes to Sap. There is no incentive for him to take a paycut from the Hawks since we have his Bird rights. If he did, then he would just be helping out the owner's pockets. He already has taken his paycut so that we could sign Tavaras and get his Bird rights, which the Hawks rewarded Paul by then cutting Tavares anyways.

• Moderators

The main thing I dislike about this interview is the clear statement that there will be no change to the front office.  I'd like to see someone in charge who has authority on basketball matters and that person should not be the owner.  I want a situation like we had when Ferry joined (which frustrated Gearon to the point of working to submarine his own team to regain control but was ultimately the right move because having Gearon in control of the team is not a good thing).  So either give Budcox real authority or hire someone that you will trust and give it to them.

• Like 2