• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Harry Giles

NBASupes

I am a major Duke fan. To say I was disappointed with Giles wouldn't be fair or dishonest. I had limited expectations. He did meet some of them and was maybe worse in others. 

I look at him as I looked at Tyson Chandler the year he was traded to OKC and then to CHA. He was horrible. Couldn't move. Physically done. Then boom, he was healthy in Dallas and great. I think that he need to go to a great organization for medical treatment. Atlanta, Golden State, Phx, etc. Avoid places like LA (both), NY, Philly and Memphis. 

At his current status, he's a C- player with C+ potential. Good skills and ability, average to below-average NBA athlete. Good BBIQ but defensive instincts is weak. Offensive instincts is solid but he isn't skilled in the paint. Can shoot but not consistently. Can pass but lacks vision. Struggles to move and isn't slow when he hustles. Plays with a motor but body don't move as his mind wants to move. Can score, rebound, read passing lanes, shoot with range, block shots, rim protect and move off the ball as well as hedge and set quality screens. He's literally talented enough to do A LOT but effective at few. 

With his high school athletic ability, he goes from C- to C+ player with A potential. The 3rd most naturally gifted player in this draft after Ball and Fultz. That said, two ACL injuries in HS. He is the player that Atlanta needs to look extremely hard at. The perfect landing spot is 31. It's the perfect spot for him but he could go higher. I wouldn't be surprised if Atlanta felt he's worth the risk if he passes their physical evaluations. A lot of GM's are talking about taking him high if the test is good but I doubt it. Owners and coaches tend to be wary of these things more than GM's. That said, he's the biggest boom or bust player in this draft. We have seen other drafts with boom or busts players: 

2008: JaVale McGee and Nic Batum were boom or bust. Both lived up to expectations and even surpassed them. 

2009: Thabeet, Curry, Flynn and Jennings were all boom or bust. Curry became one of the greats, the others busted.                                                                                                       2010:  Cousins Ekpe, Avery Bradley, Orton and Jordan Crawford were all boom or bust. Ekpe, Orton and Crawford busted and Cousins and Bradley were great. 

2011: Brooks and Reggie Jackson were boom or bust, Jackson excelled his draft spot and Brooks was about what some scouts felt. 

2012: Giannis, Dennis, Bebe, Rudy Gobert, Livio Jean-Charles were all boom or bust and it's clear that outside of Bebe, these guys BOOMED. 

So I think making a smart decision for boom or bust is huge. 

I'll take a serious look at him with hopes he drops to 31. 

I was hoping the kid would have a better combine and show he had some of his bounce back but his 32 inch vertical is awful. It's a real shame he had to get hurt so much. If the team likes what they see in workouts I could see him being the pick at 31, but I doubt he'll be a first rounder. He hasn't shown any reason why he would be in years.

1 hour ago, CP61 said:

I was hoping the kid would have a better combine and show he had some of his bounce back but his 32 inch vertical is awful. It's a real shame he had to get hurt so much. If the team likes what they see in workouts I could see him being the pick at 31, but I doubt he'll be a first rounder. He hasn't shown any reason why he would be in years.

He's still working progress but we seen Billy Walker two ACL's in HS and it killed his potential. So Giles will work with teams and they will see what can be done and what our their options with him. 

BTW ...is it just me or does it feel like Harry Giles has been a draft prospect for like 7 years...lol...I dunno maybe I read about him when he was 12 years old in the preteen hoop sensation magazine that @NBASupes passed on to me...lol...

At least he will be in the NBA next year and we won't have to hear about him being a prospect anymore haha.

Would think about the 76ers recent history long and hard and then absolutely not draft that bag of medical records. Plenty of quality players available without that scary of a risk. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Would think about the 76ers recent history long and hard and then absolutely not draft that bag of medical records. Plenty of quality players available without that scary of a risk. 

While I agree with your statement on not drafting Giles, the Sixers statement really only applies to Embiid. Simmons was injury free as far as I can tell and got hurt training. That happens, but he wasn't an injury risk ok draft night like Embiid/Giles.

8 minutes ago, CP61 said:

While I agree with your statement on not drafting Giles, the Sixers statement really only applies to Embiid. Simmons was injury free as far as I can tell and got hurt training. That happens, but he wasn't an injury risk ok draft night like Embiid/Giles.

And Noel

8 minutes ago, CP61 said:

Drafted by the Pelicans and traded the same night to Philly. A cautionary tale I would think.

On February 12, 2013, in a game against the Florida Gators, Noel tore the ACL in his left knee after blocking a Florida lay-up, forcing him to sit out the remainder of the season. Before his injury, it was projected that he would be the 1st overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft. Despite his injury, Noel decided to declare for the 2013 draft on April 15, 2013.

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Drafted by the Pelicans and traded the same night to Philly. A cautionary tale I would think.

On February 12, 2013, in a game against the Florida Gators, Noel tore the ACL in his left knee after blocking a Florida lay-up, forcing him to sit out the remainder of the season. Before his injury, it was projected that he would be the 1st overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft. Despite his injury, Noel decided to declare for the 2013 draft on April 15, 2013.

Oh yeah. I totally forgot he existed. My bad

Just adding some background here. It was a take by Drew Corrigan on the prospects mentioned.

The 76ers have Joel Embiid’s medical records, which is why I’m ecstatic about the Sixers selecting him. If he turns out to be the next Hakeem Olajuwon, Sam Hinkie will go down as the greatest person to ever be born. You just have to trust the Sixers here. He’s fully recovered from the back injury and expects to make the same recovery from this foot injury. It will be painful to wait for Embiid to play, however, he may be able to return by January. He wants to play and if he’s healthy by then, he will play. Combining Nerlens Noel and Joel Embiid in the front court is going to cause ruckus for opposing teams. I’m guessing that the Sixers plans with these two. If they think it will work, I’m trusting it.

• Like 1

I honestly think his potential is better than what we're giving him credit for. If healthy he could definitely develop into something special. I feel like he's worth the risk, if he fell to 31 that'd be perfect but I feel someone else will take a chance on him in the late 20's off his potential alone. 

Personality wise ive always heard he's really well liked as well so that may play a role. Teams like ours that are only getting better with what we can offer from a medical standpoint are in solid position to take risks like these. 

I wouldn't be averse to the pick at 19. Not rooting for it, but I'd understand the thought process and get behind it pretty quick. His attitude, hustle, and rebounding builds a solid floor. If his athleticism starts to return, then you start thinking about the ceiling. At 31 it's almost a no brainer for me. 

Obviously the injuries are scary. I think it's a given that if a team selects him then they have the medical records / workout and feel comfortable. I think around 17 to the Bucks is where teams start thinking about pulling the trigger on Giles. I don't see any way he gets by the Nets twice given their situation.