• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why can't the NBA Draft treat American prospects the same way it treats int'l prospects?

sturt

• Premium Member

Why even bother with the one-and-done rule at all. Why not make draft-and-stash essentially the law of the land... all of it, including our land, not just foreign soil players. You like a player, you can draft and gain his rights, but you don't actually have to sign him until he's ripened and is ready to graduate to pro ball, whether that's the NBA roster or the D-league roster. Until then, he stays in college, and maybe even graduates. For that matter, you can even draft right out of high school, as they do in baseball. Right? What's wrong with this picture?

• Like 3

I actually like the sound of it. I'm not sure we don't run into some kinda bump in the road with that structure but I like it a lot. It makes sense.

Would love to see it. The G-League broadening into a league-wide minor leagues with every team getting a direct affiliate will help this happen too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hazer said:

Would love to see it. The G-League broadening into a league-wide minor leagues with every team getting a direct affiliate will help this happen too.

I'd love it because then these kids wouldn't have to 1. Take classes and pass for a year and 2. Not get payed anything which is ridiculous.

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, CP61 said:

I'd love it because then these kids wouldn't have to 1. Take classes and pass for a year and 2. Not get payed anything which is ridiculous.

(Except, they wouldn't get paid until actually leaving school, of course... just to be clear.)

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Most Euro players are getting paid (unless I'm mistaken).  College players don't.

Right... and/but nothing keeping anyone from pulling a Brandon Jennings move, if getting paid is more important.

16 minutes ago, sturt said:

Right... and/but nothing keeping anyone from pulling a Brandon Jennings move, if getting paid is more important.

But he had to go to Europe, still wasn't draft eligible until that 1 year was over.

5 hours ago, sturt said:

Why even bother with the one-and-done rule at all. Why not make draft-and-stash essentially the law of the land... all of it, including our land, not just foreign soil players. You like a player, you can draft and gain his rights, but you don't actually have to sign him until he's ripened and is ready to graduate to pro ball, whether that's the NBA roster or the D-league roster. Until then, he stays in college, and maybe even graduates. For that matter, you can even draft right out of high school, as they do in baseball. Right? What's wrong with this picture?

Drafted guys on college campuses? That'll be a doozy. 

Until each team has a DLeague team that won't happen.

The new CBA allows for 2 players to be 'stashed' on a teams DLeague team that no team can sign.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

But he had to go to Europe, still wasn't draft eligible until that 1 year was over.

Agreed. Under this paradigm, and assuming the Bucks had drafted him right out of HS but they didn't want him yet and he didn't want to go to college, he could go make some money.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Drafted guys on college campuses? That'll be a doozy. 

Until each team has a DLeague team that won't happen.

The new CBA allows for 2 players to be 'stashed' on a teams DLeague team that no team can sign.

Next CBA at least 6  years away, so of course even if there was general acceptance that this is the way to go, it won't happen for a long time... so long, I'd be surprised if, by then, each team didn't have a D-league team.

• Premium Member

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/06/01/adam-silver-rethinking-the-one-and-done-rule/

....The one-and-done rule has effectively forced elite high school players to play college basketball for one season before they can declare for the NBA Draft thanks to the league’s draft age limit that was increased from 18 of 19 years old in 2005. While the league would like to increase that age limit, to 20 years old, the players’ association has wanted to revert back to a free system that would allow players to enter the league out of high school.

“In the last round of collective bargaining, Michele Roberts and I both agreed, let’s get through these core economic issues in terms of renewing the collective bargaining agreement, and then turn back to this age issue,” Silver told Cowherd, “Because it’s one I think we need to be more thoughtful on and not just be in an adversarial position sort of under the bright lights of collective bargaining.”

While a new seven-year CBA was signed earlier this year, that begins in July, the league could still opt to make changes if they can find a solution with the players’ association.

No significant change to this rule is going to happen right away but it’ll be interesting to see what course of action Silver takes if he wants to push forward with a new idea that will get rid of the one-and-done. This will be the NBA’s decision, since it is their league and rule, but they’ll likely consult college coaches and athletic directors during this process.

First I can remember me siding with the players' union of a professional sport...