• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tanking is for losers

TRW

6 hours ago, Flight said:

Just for contrast, 

Tanking has Orlando with a team of young talent that doesn't match or have an identity, Tanking brought Phoenix to the point that they keep consistently bringing in young players but still haven't reaped real benefits from the ones from the beginning of their tanking, it's also led the Kings to basically not even be able to get anywhere with the best player that they got out of their tanking efforts to date. 

So it could really go wrong just as easily (it's actually more likely than not knowing our history) as it could go right. 

They haven't tanked. They try to be good but suck at it. Their best slots have been in weak draft years

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

They haven't tanked. They try to be good but suck at it. Their best slots have been in weak draft years

They've done a mix of tanking and prematurely trading draft and young assets to try to be good.  Their management has been terrible similar to the shortsighted decisions that NO made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

So if the Hawks tank as you suggest, what's to keep them from getting good slots in bad draft years?

Being bad in great draft years tends to solve a lot of issues. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Being bad in great draft years tends to solve a lot of issues. 

Problem is that people thought including you that the Wiggins draft was going to be great.  Not 1 all Star from that draft so it ain't as easy as you think to predict.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, TRW said:

and I remember what happened the last time. Mr. Schlenk, we have too much momentum to go backwards. A great coach, new training center with PS3, new d-league team, and phillips renovations.

1. Give Paul a 5 year 135 million deal. Years 1-5 as follows. 

Year 1 30 million

Year 2 30 million

Year 3 30 million

Year 4 25 million

Year 5 20 million with incentives, contract with Kia motors and local television deals with turner broadcasting or Tyler Perry courtesy of Mr. Koonin.

Take the best players available in the draft at 19 and 31. My favorites are Texas center Allen, Semi. O., and Frank Jackson.

Trade Dennis, Prince, Bazemore, and our 2nd first round pick next year for Paul George and Al Jefferson. Why Jefferson? Because his second year is a team option and we save 10 million. Resign Tim Hardaway, Dunleavy, Ersan, and Aaron Brooks. Put the ball in Paul George hands and let him run the show. Putting the ball in PG13 hands would definitely make us a better team and surely make PG13 all NBA which would qualify him for the supermax, which in turn would make it hard for him to leave during free agency. My death lineup would be PG13, Millsap, THJ, Ersan, and any shooter you choose from the draft or free agency. Howard would give us defense in the middle. This team would definitely challenge LeBron and the rest of the east. I'm ready for my bashing so give it to me.

1st of all, you want to pay Millsap more than what Golden State is paying Kevin Durant?????   Kevin Durant signed a 2 year / $54,274,505 contract with the Golden State Warriors, including $54,274,505 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $27,137,253. In 2017-18, Durant will earn a base salary of $27,734,405, while carrying a cap hit of $27,734,405 and a dead cap value of $27,734,405.

So if you pay Millsap $30 Mil per year, what will be your offer to PG13?  And what will be your salaries for THjr and Ilyasova.  So $30 mil for sap, $30 Mil for PH, $23 mil for Howard, $15 mil for THjr, $10 Mil for Ilyasova, and $10 mill for Jefferson.  That's about $120 mil in salary without a point guard.  You sure you thought this through?

• Like 1

Kevin Durant will be eligible to receive a contract starting at 36 million but he's talking about taking only 32 to help out the Dubs. Curry will also get around 35 million a year if I'm not mistaken. So first, don't full yourself. The NBA salary cap is going up, not next year but surely in the next 2 to 3 years. Because you have too many players making mega money who aren't superstars, ex. Bradley Beal, Mike Conley, Nicholas Batum, Kemba Walker. They're good players but are they superstars, no. Think about Washington, they have to pay John Wall soon and he's going to get more than Beal and they have to pay Porter this year. So why not pay Millsap at least 30 for what he brings to the table.

As for the Hawks cap number, you were close. The actual amount is 117,821,021 for next year, not including our draft picks. We don't need a superstar point guard with that lineup. We already have Delaney and Bembry. We also might take a point guard in the draft. Stopgaps like Raymond Felton, Deron Williams, Brandon Jennings, Aaron Brooks, Jose Calderon, and Jarrett Jack could all be serviceable. I'd rather put the ball in PG13 hands anyway. It works for Cleveland with LeBron because Kyrie isn't a point guard.

In 2018-19, Al Jefferson and Dunleavy contracts would come off the books. Dwight's 23.5 will come off the next year.

You would have PG13 Bird Rights, Millsap, THJ, Ilyasova, Howard, Bembry, our 3 draft picks from 2017, 2018 draft picks, and a ton of cash.

And what if LeBron leaves after next season? You don't think we could compete with Boston and the other teams. My worst fear is we start tanking(rebuilding) and then LeBron leaves. I would be sick to my stomach.

Just one man's impossible perspective.

TRW

2 hours ago, TRW said:

The NBA salary cap is going up, not next year but surely in the next 2 to 3 years.

The new television deal caused the flood of money the last 2 years - you won't see that kind of jump again anytime soon.  You will only see modest gains in the salary cap.  Meanwhile, the players already under contract rises each year, empty roster charges will be higher, rookie scale contracts will be higher.

3 hours ago, TRW said:

We don't need a superstar point guard with that lineup. We already have Delaney and Bembry. 

In 2018-19, Al Jefferson and Dunleavy contracts would come off the books. Dwight's 23.5 will come off the next year.

You would have PG13 Bird Rights, Millsap, THJ, Ilyasova, Howard, Bembry, our 3 draft picks from 2017, 2018 draft picks, and a ton of cash.

And what if LeBron leaves after next season? You don't think we could compete with Boston and the other teams. My worst fear is we start tanking(rebuilding) and then LeBron leaves. I would be sick to my stomach.

Just one man's impossible perspective.

TRW

You are really missing the boat on PG's quest to head west. Bird rights or not, we have seen when players decide to take less money to go where they want - Bird rights is moot.