• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks backed out of offer to Marreese Speights

GameTime

3 hours ago, High5 said:

It's not like they were required by the NBA to entertain Speights for a week. 

Don't let that get in the way of the agenda.  I'm sure Schlenk offered a 4 year 60 million contract, Speights said "absolutely, where do I sign?!" but then Schlenk went on to pretend the fax machine was out of order and he had important meetings in Dubai, Swaziland, Turkmenistan and Antarctica to attend to over a week before pulling the offer.

Or, you know, Schlenk made an offer of certain years and money that he was comfortable giving, Speights said he wanted more and would look elsewhere to find it if the Hawks didn't offer it.  Schlenk said the offer's on the table, Speights took his time looking elsewhere and hoping the Hawks would budge before Schlenk said he'd waited enough and would look elsewhere.

You know, "negotiating".

• Like 4

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, ThomasCredle said:

This didn't upset me a bit. We have too much young talent to evaluate to give minutes away to another big. We need some more depth at SF and a veteran PG much more in my opinion. We also don't know what his side was asking for maybe it was just a bridge to far to get to what he thought it was worth so the Hawks pulled out of the deal all together. Either way no big loss in my opinion

At first, it encourages me... and yes, I'm among those desperately looking for things to encourage me right now... that Schlenk is at least not finished shopping for veteran assets, or so it would it seem.

The left brain says, "Be content with as many losses as possible in 2018 and 2019, and get one or two of the highest draft picks possible."

The right brain says, "You don't really want to be watching a hot mess of a team for a year or two, do you??? No, you don't."

But then, in a schizophrenic twist, the two flip the script...

The right brain turns around and says, "On second thought, I called it a 'hot mess,' but honestly, we're going to enjoy watching the young players develop. You know that. And so that will mitigate much of the ugliness, while at the same time, their floor time is only going to speed along the team's journey back to relevance."

The left brain replies, "But that's not the whole picture--it's not all young players with a legit future who will be on the floor. It will be a mix, and some of these guys will only be on the floor for the purposes of piling up stats that will enhance their trade value, while others, history says, are just not going to actually amount to anything anyhow."

Both the right and the left brains have solid points. Both times.

So, do I really want Schlenk shopping for veteran assets with these final two roster slots or not?

From the time they drafted at #7 and lucked out that NYK--who was heavily rumored as I recall to be working the phones to get him--failed to grab Curry, GSW lost 26, 36 and 23 games before returning to the playoffs.

Of the 13 GSW 2009-10 players who had 500+ minutes, 9 of them were 25 years old or less.

Of our 13 players currently on our 2017-18 roster, 7 are 25 years old or less by my count.

So, nah...

Let's see these last two roster slots filled by young guys who we think show promise to some degree. Just say no to Speights, Muhammed, Green, et al after all.

But having said all of that... I still am uncertain why the emphasis is on signing another big. (And almost as strikingly, I seem to be the only one wondering.)

On 7/16/2017 at 9:03 PM, ThomasCredle said:

This didn't upset me a bit. We have too much young talent to evaluate to give minutes away to another big. We need some more depth at SF and a veteran PG much more in my opinion. We also don't know what his side was asking for maybe it was just a bridge to far to get to what he thought it was worth so the Hawks pulled out of the deal all together. Either way no big loss in my opinion

Yeah, at the moment there isn't room with Moose and Ersan signing and it remains to be seen if anything is done about stretching Plumlee or not. SF or at least some kind of swing guy and insurance at PG should be the main goals for us right now would think.