• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins Rookie Impact

aali34

I'm completely against putting a player out there just to "see what he can do".  Young players shouldn't be given anything.  They need to work for it and earn it.  Despite popular opinion, Ersan's experience gives him a significant edge over John Collins now.  That may not be the case in 3 years when Collins has some reps under him, but at this point in time, Ersan is the better NBA player.  If John earns that opportunity by mid season, so be it.  If he comes to camp and knocks their socks off with his understanding of the game and ability to learn quickly and adjust and earns the opportunity earlier, so be it.  The point is though, he needs to earn it and not just have it given to him.  DeAndre Bembry and Taurean Prince weren't given anything last year.  The work they put in and learning from the veterans in front of them have prepared them better for the roles they will have this year rather than just throwing them out there to "see what they can do".  I think you can potentially cause more detriment to player development by playing them too early and having them make a bevy of mistakes rather than waiting till they are more ripe.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I'm completely against putting a player out there just to "see what he can do".  Young players shouldn't be given anything.  They need to work for it and earn it.  Despite popular opinion, Ersan's experience gives him a significant edge over John Collins now.  That may not be the case in 3 years when Collins has some reps under him, but at this point in time, Ersan is the better NBA player.  If John earns that opportunity by mid season, so be it.  If he comes to camp and knocks their socks off with his understanding of the game and ability to learn quickly and adjust and earns the opportunity earlier, so be it.  The point is though, he needs to earn it and not just have it given to him.  DeAndre Bembry and Taurean Prince weren't given anything last year.  The work they put in and learning from the veterans in front of them have prepared them better for the roles they will have this year rather than just throwing them out there to "see what they can do".  I think you can potentially cause more detriment to player development by playing them too early and having them make a bevy of mistakes rather than waiting till they are more ripe.

I'm not suggesting you give the starting job to him, rather I predicting that he is that good already.  He actually looked more mature in summer league than Prince...He certainly is more skilled.

Think the offensive glass work by Collins will force Bud to play him plenty of minutes, not so sure at the get go but expecting him to get half of the minutes or even more at PF by the All Star break. That will give him about fifty games of NBA experience by then and probably a much better feel for his and our perimeter offense (am remembering Kyle's comments about the learning curve for Bud's system requiring about a year so am expecting plenty of bumps along the way).