• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Yeah it's that time of the year again..

StephenHawking

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

But your examples are exceptions that only serve to prove the rule.  Even the casual fan can easily identify that the majority of the top players that play in the league come from higher in the draft or that the teams with the greater talent populate the top of the standings.

This is common sense and if you’re untrusting of that then there is also mountains of analysis backing it up.  Again, you are literally arguing against the entire history of sports here, dismissing common practices built around that history, and pointing to outliers as a means of trying to state that everything is all just chance or somehow undefined. 

It is almost like the US should have had only an equal chance against World squads for the past 30 years until they proved themselves.  Because talent is too nebulous to define outside of a team concept and the Dream Team was just thrown together.  Sure they look more talented to the unitiated but maybe Australia is actually a better team.  You need to prove it on the court before you can just look and declare one squad more talented.  (Or not.)

• Like 2

vor 22 Minuten, MaceCase sagte:

But your examples are exceptions that only serve to prove the rule.  Even the casual fan can easily identify that the majority of the top players that play in the league come from higher in the draft or that the teams with the greater talent populate the top of the standings.

This is common sense and if you’re untrusting of that then there is also mountains of analysis backing it up.  Again, you are literally arguing against the entire history of sports here, dismissing common practices built around that history, and pointing to outliers as a means of trying to state that everything is all just chance or somehow undefined. 

I think I'm unable to elaborate the point I'm trying to make in a way that you get what I'm about. I understand your post and agree with it. Its more a problem with the word and it's meaning for me than if there's an actual gap between players performance because I know there's one.

I can't get my point across however.

Sorry 

1 hour ago, StephenHawking said:

I think I'm unable to elaborate the point I'm trying to make in a way that you get what I'm about. I understand your post and agree with it. Its more a problem with the word and it's meaning for me than if there's an actual gap between players performance because I know there's one.

I can't get my point across however.

Sorry 

Fair enough, but I'm just stating that there's a commonly used definition and evaluation of the word "talent" and by those parameters Bud's teams have typically exceeded beyond what the expectations would suggest.

vor 40 Minuten, MaceCase sagte:

Fair enough, but I'm just stating that there's a commonly used definition and evaluation of the word "talent" and by those parameters Bud's teams have typically exceeded beyond what the expectations would suggest.

I realized the way I'm thinking is way too philosophical/scientifical. There's a saying in Germany: Nothing is safe except death. 

It kinda undermines what I'm saying that actually it's not factual but more of a public opinion. However I realize how stupid of an argument that is and how we couldn't discuss basketball following that notion even if it's actually the right way of thinking(but way too exhausting)