• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenk states we will take bad contracts for picks

NBASupes

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Without Embiid it will be a challenge.  Not sure what the Vegas line is but that injury really opens the door up for Miami.  Injuries happen and now Philly has to see if they can deal with it.

I just saw that Embiid was ruled out for game 1. That makes it more challenging for sure. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, High5 said:

Maybe not. Depends on which team has the better shooters for the series IMO. That doesn't change the fact that they're the favorites. 

So says Vegas.

PHI +2500 vs MIA +20000

• Moderators
Just now, KB21 said:

Vegas is not taking into account that youth does not win in the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure they take that into account.  They are pretty sharp and it is their $$ on the line.  Where I do think the line tilts towards Philly is that Philly is the more exciting team which means more fans will be putting money on them and so to get a better balance of bets on both sides they have to tilt the odds towards Miami to get people to bet more on the Heat.  The line isn't a perfect representation of which team Vegas thinks will win but more about where the line needs to be for them to make money (which heavily overlaps with their view of each team's probability to win).

• Like 2

From reading this thread, I can see why Bud might want to leave and I can't say that I'd blame him. That said, if Bud stayed, in looking at the way he coached the talent on this team this year, I can see us threatening to make the 8th seed. We were in most games. If Prince continues to improve, Dennis keeps his head on straight (big if), Collins makes strides, guys like Dorsey and Dedmon (if he opts to take his players option) continue to play big, and we draft a stud rookie.

All ifs...

Bud knows how to maximize talent. I just don't know if he has it in him to wait around for guys to fully develop after his won for years here and in San Antonio.

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

KB knows better than the Vegas Sharps, NBA GMs, talent evaluators, college scouts, ESPN, big shoe companies, etc. Is there anything thing he DOESN'T know?? 

Edited by JSmooooove
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Vegas takes EVERYthing into account. There are millions and millions of dollars involved and they're still open for bidness for a reason ;)

58 minutes ago, JSmooooove said:

KB knows better than the Vegas Sharps, NBA GMs, talent evaluators, college scouts, ESPN, big shoe companies, etc. Is there anything thing he DOESN'T know?? 

How to admit when he's wrong ;)

• Like 4

How much better is our culture because we beat a depleted and resting Boston team in the last week? You’re saying that win boosted our morale? Doesn’t seem like it.

That one win cost us having sole possession of the third-best odds in the lottery.

I get not wanting to lose but once you’ve reached a certain point you do nothing but hurt yourself by winning(with no benefits coming from the meaningless win).

5 minutes ago, HawkTalk said:

How much better is our culture because we beat a depleted and resting Boston team in the last week? You’re saying that win boosted our morale? Doesn’t seem like it.

That one win cost us having sole possession of the third-best odds in the lottery.

I get not wanting to lose but once you’ve reached a certain point you do nothing but hurt yourself by winning(with no benefits coming from the meaningless win).

There is no such thing as a meaningless win.  Every win has meaning, and it does you more good to win than lose.

7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

There is no such thing as a meaningless win.  Every win has meaning, and it does you more good to win than lose.

And that is where most will disagree with you. How does that 1 Boston win help us big picture? You’re telling me the players are walking around saying, “Man at least we won 24 games instead of 23. I feel so much more confident now.”

There was nothing that will come from that 1 win against a team with 2 injured stars and resting other players before the playoffs. How would we be worse off if we lost that game? Will Bud stay because we won?

If we were talking 10-15 games, yea I can see your point but 1 game here and 1 game there doesn’t make a bit of positive difference. It can prevent this team from drafting a guy you like(Doncic).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HawkTalk said:

And that is where most will disagree with you. How does that 1 Boston win help us big picture? You’re telling me the players are walking around saying, “Man at least we won 24 games instead of 23. I feel so much more confident now.”

There was nothing that will come from that 1 win against a team with 2 injured stars and resting other players before the playoffs. How would we be worse off if we lost that game? Will Bud stay because we won?

If we were talking 10-15 games, yea I can see your point but 1 game here and 1 game there doesn’t make a bit of positive difference. It can prevent this team from drafting a guy you like(Doncic).

Not to mention it was a win against Boston's 3rd stringers. It felt more like Shane Larkin losing the game.

7 minutes ago, HawkTalk said:

The data is all out there that proves teams who win less than 25 games struggle to climb out of that hole.  

7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The data is all out there that proves teams who win less than 25 games struggle to climb out of that hole.  

Ok and we still only won 24. So winning the Boston game didn’t matter according to the stat you provided.

I’m still waiting to hear a positive from beating Boston’s JV team.

5 minutes ago, HawkTalk said:

Ok and we still only won 24. So winning the Boston game didn’t matter according to the stat you provided.

I’m still waiting to hear a positive from beating Boston’s JV team.

It was a win, and that win may help one of these G-Leaguer's get a chance on another team at some point.

• Moderators

There is obviously no benefit to the 2018-19 Hawks from having won that game.  Whether it costs the team or not remains to be seen.

For Baze, I feel for him as a competitor genuinely.  He tries hard and it sucks to have your own fans rooting for you to lose but that isn't where the issue lies.  The issue lies in the system that rewards teams for losing with higher draft picks (or higher odds for draft picks).

For Baze, though, I get over it pretty quick when I think that the next line of his interview might have been:  "Then I go home to my room filled with 16,910,113 boxes of tissues and wipe my tears away."  :boohoo:

• Like 3