Serious doubts about this organization

HawkItus

This group is beginning smell like bad team spirit:

Owner:  Seems to have a lack of vision.  He has flipped on several key decisions and statements.  Employees don't seem to be endeared to him.  ex. Bud, rebuilding, Dwight Howard

Schlenk:  Does not seem to have control of his staff and players.  Confusion about where they stand and what the organization is doing.  People jumping overboard is not the sign I want to see.

Fans:  They don't seem to be engaging the fans or marketing our current players.  John Collins should have gotten a dunk contest push etc.   

All this to say we look like a C- organization on and off the floor.   The capital from that ECF season has been wasted.  And I'm worried about the future.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JSmooooove said:

"Serious doubts about this organization"

When has this not been the case for Atlanta? LMAO welcome to being a Hawks fan. 

No, I felt good about the team right after ASG and Ted Turner years were pretty good.  The playoff runs under the BK/Sund/Ferry group were what they were.  Good but not great.

13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Boy is it hard to b a fan of this team because of the fans of this team.

Man I totally agree.  So when are you moving on????

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

No, I felt good about the team right after ASG and Ted Turner years were pretty good.  The playoff runs under the BK/Sund/Ferry group were what they were.  Good but not great.

Man I totally agree.  So when are you moving on????

Yeah I wasn't being 100% serious but being a fan of any Atlanta team definitely tests the patience of any fan. Doesn't help that I'm a GT fan, too.

I guess I just love misery with the occasional glimpse of hope only to be brought back down to Earth every time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JSmooooove said:

Yeah I wasn't being 100% serious but being a fan of any Atlanta team definitely tests the patience of any fan. Doesn't help that I'm a GT fan, too.

I guess I just love misery with the occasional glimpse of hope only to be brought back down to Earth every time. 

I understand trust me.  But, this feels different.  This feels like they don't even know where they want to go with this.  7-8 possibilities for our pick?(Schlenk quote)  You mean we tanked for a variable?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HawkItus said:

I understand trust me.  But, this feels different.  This feels like they don't even know where they want to go with this.  7-8 possibilities for our pick?(Schlenk quote)  You mean we tanked for a variable?

Not sure what answer you would have wanted him to give lol. We don't even know exactly where our pick is gonna be yet. No way he should already be dialed in on 2 or 3 players with all the talent in the lotto of this draft.

These gu

4 minutes ago, Flight said:

Not sure what answer you would have wanted him to give lol. We don't even know exactly where our pick is gonna be yet. No way he should already be dialed in on 2 or 3 players with all the talent in the lotto of this draft.

I don't see it.  Number 14 might be just as good as #5 talent wise in this draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HawkItus said:

These gu

I don't see it.  Number 14 might be just as good as #5 talent wise in this draft.

You do realize that if #14 can be just as good as #5 that gives him MORE reason to be interested in a number of players with our pick and not fewer players right?

1 minute ago, Flight said:

You do realize that if #14 can be just as good as #5 that gives him MORE reason to be interested in a number of players with our pick and not fewer players right?

No what I'm saying is if there is A GUY we want and view as the right guy I understand the moves we made.  If we don't see A GUY in this draft then maybe we should have just stayed competitive and tried to get another Collins type and kept Bud.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

No what I'm saying is if there is A GUY we want and view as the right guy I understand the moves we made.  If we don't see A GUY in this draft then maybe we should have just stayed competitive and tried to get another Collins type and kept Bud.  

So you would've preferred another year of having an OK team at best and losing in the first or second round of the playoffs. Rather than possibly getting a cornerstone of the future of our team? We got 3 draft picks, we can still get a Collins type all while getting a player with a ton of potential in the top 5.

Edited by Flight

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Flight said:

Yeah - Our pick can fall as low as #7.  I'd hope he has at least 7 guys on his board for that pick.

• Like 1

Just now, Flight said:

So you would've preferred another year of having an OK team at best and losing in the first or second round of the playoffs. Rather than possibly getting a cornerstone of the future of our team? We got 3 draft picks, we can still get a Collins type all while getting a player with a ton of potential in the top 5.

You just said exactly what I am questioning.  There are not 8 cornerstones in this draft.  I'll except a possible 4.  But, he is not saying that.  He seems to not be certain on who are the top tier guys yet.   A simple we have an idea of who we want or just don't answer the question.   The 7 -8 worries me.

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Yeah - Our pick can fall as low as #7.  I'd hope he has at least 7 guys on his board for that pick.

Again, teams with a plan go and get the guy they want,  If we have a guy we want, focus and go get him.  Maybe they do have a plan, but it doesn't sound or feel that way to me.  I'll see what he does on draft night.  Regardless the owner is still an issue to me.  

2 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

You just said exactly what I am questioning.  There are not 8 cornerstones in this draft.  I'll except a possible 4.  But, he is not saying that.  He seems to not be certain on who are the top tier guys yet.   A simple we have an idea of who we want or just don't answer the question.   The 7 -8 worries me.

So you're saying that because he sees 7-8 players that we'd like to get with our pick and you only see 4 that are top tier/cornerstones. Your scouting opinion is the one that holds more weight, not the guy that literally has done this for years as his profession...

You would prefer him saying "We have an idea on who we want" or completely not answering the question but saying we have interest in "7-8 guys" is the deal breaker for you on if he knows what he's doing. I hope you understand how ridiculous that sounds.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

Again, teams with a plan go and get the guy they want,  If we have a guy we want, focus and go get him.  Maybe they do have a plan, but it doesn't sound or feel that way to me.  I'll see what he does on draft night.  Regardless the owner is still an issue to me.  

This makes no sense to me. It's a lottery!! You don't know your pick yet. There hasn't been pre draft interviews or testing. No one locks on to 1 player a year before the draft.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

What?  Every team's plan coming into the lottery was to get Tim Duncan.  After the lottery, only SA had a chance at him.  If there was any "go get him" magic button then Boston would have gone and gotten him.

If you do want to trade up for a guy, however, you absolutely do not let it be known that you have a specific target because you are handing the team that will be negotiating with you a ton of leverage in those discussions.  Instead, you need them to believe that you can only be pushed so far.

3 minutes ago, Flight said:

So you're saying that because he sees 7-8 players that we'd like to get with our pick and you only see 4 that are top tier/cornerstones. Your scouting opinion is the one that holds more weight, not the guy that literally has done this for years as his profession...

You would prefer him saying "We have an idea on who we want" or completely not answering the question but saying we have interest in "7-8 guys" is the deal breaker for you on if he knows what he's doing. I hope you understand how ridiculous that sounds.

Didn't say it was deal breaker.  I said that amongst other things has me worried.  If we are all going to curtail opinion because the "professional" says so......then shut the board down.  If he was batting a thousand, he would get my benefit of the doubt.  He hasn't so I am leary.  

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

You're getting ahead of yourself a bit here. We have no idea where the pick will fall except in the top 7.

So if we end up at #4 and we focus on one guy and another team jumps ahead and take the guy he's focused on - what then.

There is no reason for him to say who he's slightly interested in at all.

Edited by JayBirdHawk
  • Like 1