• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk is a motherf*@*ing monster!

NBASupes

Anyone seen this yet? Apparently Schlenk wanted Jaren Jackson above all.

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/06/25/morning-tip-mailbag-june-25-2018?collection=news

To my big brother George -- the richest man in town! From Colin Iheanacho:

I think [Atlanta Hawks GM Travis] Schlenk has gotten a lot of unwarranted heat for that Mavs deal. I didn’t like some of the moves (taking Omari Spellman at No. 30, trading pick No. 34, top-5 protection on Mavs pick), but it’s clear the situation was unusual. From reporting on and before Draft night, the consensus seems to be Schlenk wasn’t high on Doncic (unpopular opinion, but understandable), wanted Jaren Jackson, Jr. (who marketing and ownership didn’t want), and either had to take Doncic and take credit for a pick he didn’t want or settle on another ownership favorite in Trae Young.

I get that a lot of owners are heavily involved in the draft process -- Mark Cuban, Dan Gilbert, Robert Sarver, Vivek Ranadive, Michael Jordan, etc. -- but I find it unsettling that all those names (besides Cuban, who has his own issues) are leaders of some the most dysfunctional franchises in the league. Is it time to start labeling Hawks owner Tony Ressler in this group? He signed Dwight Howard, installed two differing minds as heads of ops in Wes Wilcox and Mike Budenholzer (which led to a lot of instability after Danny Ferry left), neglected to re-sign Al Horford and held on to Paul Millsap too long (among other things).

Should Hawks fans be concerned that Ressler could very well interfere too much and mess the rebuild up?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flight said:

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/06/25/morning-tip-mailbag-june-25-2018?collection=news

No. Because Travis dumbass was about to make the mistake of a lifetime. Just because Tony signed Dwight doesn't mean Travis should do the same. 

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Flight said:

This echoes all the reasons I don't want the owner pulling the strings on decisions.  If you think Schlenk isn't making the right calls fire him and install someone whose judgment you trust better but find someone whose judgment you trust and then let them run the team.

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, phoostal said:

Lol, you want to criticize half of the board because they like Doncic, yet Young has just as many deficiencies if not more when compared to Doncic.  

I'm on record saying I preferred Doncic, I'm moving on and hoping everything works out for the best for the Hawks. Only time will tell who got the better of the deal.  Bottom line though I support the Hawks not the players.

I find it funny though that everyone that wanted Young now feels compelled to tell us that Doncic isn't as good as Young (even though almost every draft board you can find had Doncic rated higher prospect before the draft) and that Young will clearly be the better pro.

Now we are also going to push an agenda (seen in threads on this board) that if you like Doncic and wanted the Hawks to draft  him you aren't a fan of the Hawks.   What's wrong with people? I didn't know there are rules to being a fan of the Hawks.  We all have to agree to be fans?  

I hope Young works out, but to blast people because they like Doncic (and think the Hawks got screwed in the trade) is completely unfair.  Especially when no one knnows how both players careers will end up.  

In the end everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there is no reason to come down on those you don't agree (that includes vice versa on this debate) with after all we are all Hawk fans who want to win.

I'm going to ask the mods to make it so I can like this post multiple times.  Where are lethal and pssshhhr at?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AHF said:

This echoes all the reasons I don't want the owner pulling the strings on decisions.  If you think Schlenk isn't making the right calls fire him and install someone whose judgment you trust better but find someone whose judgment you trust and then let them run the team.

At the same time you definitely aren't going to always agree on every decision, especially draft wise. I think Trae is a good compromise for everyone really.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Flight said:

At the same time you definitely aren't going to always agree on every decision, especially draft wise. I think Trae is a good compromise for everyone really.

As a fan (and I would hope if I were ever in position to be an owner), I want my GM making the final call on free agents, draft decisions, etc.  If I don't trust my GM, I fire them.  I would expect the GM to dialogue with me and explain his reason but unless the GM is kind of shrugging his shoulders unable to decide then I would not want him trading down just to find the guy who I like better as a fan.  Do I want my GM nixing using the 15th pick on Kawhi Leonard so we can take Nikola Vucevic or Iman Shumpert because I like them better?  No.  If you have a Pete Babcock then fire him.  Otherwise, you are paying the man to do the due diligence, synthesize the input from your scouting department and coaching staff, and make the best call.  Let him do it without armchair GMing from the owner.

This is not about JJJ vs Doncic vs Trae or anything.  It is about the right process for well run organizations.

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

As a fan (and I would hope if I were ever in position to be an owner), I want my GM making the final call on free agents, draft decisions, etc.  If I don't trust my GM, I fire them.  I would expect the GM to dialogue with me and explain his reason but unless the GM is kind of shrugging his shoulders unable to decide then I would not want him trading down just to find the guy who I like better as a fan.  Do I want my GM nixing using the 15th pick on Kawhi Leonard so we can take Nikola Vucevic or Iman Shumpert because I like them better?  No.  If you have a Pete Babcock then fire him.  Otherwise, you are paying the man to do the due diligence, synthesize the input from your scouting department and coaching staff, and make the best call.  Let him do it without armchair GMing from the owner.

This is not about JJJ vs Doncic vs Trae or anything.  It is about the right process for well run organizations.

Technically speaking the GM did still make the final call. He just chose not to go with what they wanted and instead go for a player they would all be okay with. I don't think that decision making should lead to losing his job. Especially not based on one draft.

• Moderators
Just now, Flight said:

Technically speaking the GM did still make the final call. He just chose not to go with what they wanted and instead go for a player they would all be okay with. I don't think that decision making should lead to losing his job. Especially not based on one draft.

I don't know what happened.  I've seen reported that the GM was overruled and had to move to a second plan because ownership didn't like his pick.  I've also seen reports that ownership overruled Budcox and forced Howard on them.  I don't know exactly how these things went down but I'm saying that if ownership overruled the GM in either case then I think that is a recipe for disaster.  There are owners (cough....Dan Snyder.....cough) who are notorious for that crap and I don't want to see it in Atlanta.

If Budcox had the final authority and ultimately made the call on Howard and Schlenk had the final authority and ultimately made the call on Young then great.  If ownership forced their hand, then very not great.