• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2018 Draft - What picks were good fits / bad fits to maximize potential?

AHF

• Moderators

Curious if people think certain players landed in really good situation or bad situations to maximize their potential.  For example, I read an interview with Orlando's GM and just sat there thinking that Bamba's bust potential (which was real to begin with) had probably doubled after getting picked to join the Magic given their history of mismanagement and their lack of an identity or leadership on the floor.  What fits do you think were particularly good or bad in this year's draft?

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Curious if people think certain players landed in really good situation or bad situations to maximize their potential.  For example, I read an interview with Orlando's GM and just sat there thinking that Bamba's bust potential (which was real to begin with) had probably doubled after getting picked to join the Magic given their history of mismanagement and their lack of an identity or leadership on the floor.  What fits do you think were particularly good or bad in this year's draft?

I don't like the Ayton match up in Phoenix.  He will immediately be the most efficient scorer on the team, but he is not the kind of guy you put behind a team that doesn't play good defense on the perimeter.  His lack of rim protection will be exposed.

Bagley in Sacramento is not a good fit.  He needs shooters and a strong passing point guard to maximize his ability, and he has neither in Sacramento.

Doncic in Dallas is a great fit, IMO.  Doncic is a great fit anywhere.

JJJ in Memphis is a great fit. 

Young in Atlanta is a great fit.

Bamba in Orlando is a bad fit because he's another long, defender who has a very limited offensive game.

• Premium Member

Bamba in Orlando.

That team is so unbalanced, just a collection of players, not a team and no identity and they don't have a PG. 

I don't remember who said it, but it was 'no matter how many competent bigs you have unless you have a capable PG you'll never maximize their potential'

The no PG in Phoenix is also a problem.

JJJ has no pressure in Memphis as long as Conlet and Gasol come back healthy.

Doncic has Dirk

Sac can't get right.

• Like 1

Best fit is Doncic in Dallas, that offense is going to work to his strengths. Michael Porter Jr is also in a good situation in Denver, he can take his time getting back. I also think Carter will do well in Chicago. I worry about Bamba in Orlando, I really want to see him have a good career.