• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae vs. Jimmer vs. Nash/Curry?

vdunkndunk

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

I still maintain that Trae will be a combo of Nash and Curry when it’s all said and done. Not quite the scorer that Curry is, but better than Nash. He’s still got a lot to work on to get there, but the talent is there. He absolutely has to develop deep range at decent efficiency (35%) to open up the floor. He also has to get much more creative with his floaters and when/how to use them. He will come in to the league an above average playmaker IMO. However, he has to be a much more efficient threat to score to really become the MVP caliber player I feel he could be.

Man that would be fantastic.  Very high bar to pass.  On his 3pt%, it will have to much higher than 35% if he is going to be a success.  

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Man that would be fantastic.  Very high bar to pass.  On his 3pt%, it will have to much higher than 35% if he is going to be a success.  

Yeah, I was just talking about those deep 25+ ft ones. I see the talent and not much in his way. If he puts the work in, he can be great. I’ve said for months that he’s one of two players in last years draft that COULD be good enough to win an MVP (Ayton being the other).

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 9:41 AM, Buzzard said:

I don't get this comparison at all to Fredette. It is like comparing Jeff Teague the point guard to Kent Bazemore the shooting guard.

You do understand Fredette was/is much more of a SG than a PG. Or do you?

You said it yourself. Trae is a outstanding passer with exceptional court vision. I don't recall anyone ever saying that about Fredette. Steve Nash is a close comparison. That has been said before.

Jimmer didn’t play more SG than PG. He was primarily a PG at BYU, brought the ball up, and led the team in assists. I watched about half his games his senior year. Also, Jimmer and Trae are almost exactly the same size - except Jimmer is longer, with a 6’4 wingspan - and they both lack elite athleticism, scored like crazy in college, and jacked up a ton of crazy deep 3s. Jimmer was also an underrated passer, though not as good as Trae, which is reflected in his DraftExpress Souting report.  That’s where the comparison comes from, although I’ll acknowledge that Jimmer is closer to a combo guard than Trae. But I worry that Trae’s lack of size/athleticism may make it hard for him to do in the NBA what he did in college. Again, hope I’m wrong, but still don’t fully get this pick at the moment.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jimmer-Fredette-Video-Breakdown-3676/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/570367-2011-nba-draft-byus-jimmer-fredette-may-be-the-best-point-guard-in-the-ncaa

25 minutes ago, vdunkndunk said:

Jimmer didn’t play more SG than PG. He was primarily a PG at BYU, brought the ball up, and led the team in assists. I watched about half his games his senior year. Also, Jimmer and Trae are almost exactly the same size - except Jimmer is longer, with a 6’4 wingspan - and they both lack elite athleticism, scored like crazy in college, and jacked up a ton of crazy deep 3s. Jimmer was also an underrated passer, though not as good as Trae, which is reflected in his DraftExpress Souting report.  That’s where the comparison comes from, although I’ll acknowledge that Jimmer is closer to a combo guard than Trae. But I worry that Trae’s lack of size/athleticism may make it hard for him to do in the NBA what he did in college. Again, hope I’m wrong, but still don’t fully get this pick at the moment.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jimmer-Fredette-Video-Breakdown-3676/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/570367-2011-nba-draft-byus-jimmer-fredette-may-be-the-best-point-guard-in-the-ncaa

It still bears to point out that Jimmer was more a SG/Combo than a PG. So what is your point?

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

It still bears to point out that Jimmer was more a SG/Combo than a PG. So what is your point?

In making this thread, I was asking a question rather than making a point, and the question doesn’t depend on whether Jimmer is or isn’t a pure PG. In sum, Jimmer’s 6’1 frame and lack of athleticism meant that his high volume, deep-3 game didn’t translate to the NBA despite the fact that he went 10 overall. I’m guessing you didn’t watch Jimmer play much, or maybe we simply disagree, but Jimmer and Trae are very comparable in many ways....and to me, there’s an equal chance that Trae ultimately has a career like Jimmer’s as there is that he has a career like Nash or Curry. Yes, Trae’s a better passer than Jimmer - and Jimmer’s refusal to change his game to pass-first mode was part of his problem in the NBA - but Trae isn’t exactly pass first, either. He’s a more talented passer, but will Trae’s passing matter if he can’t beat guys off the dribble, finish in the lane, or shoot it from deep at a higher clip than he did over the second half of his freshman year and SL? Maybe he can, but my main question is: Why do we believe Trae is more on the Nash/Curry side of the continuum rather than the Jimmer side?

1 minute ago, vdunkndunk said:

In making this thread, I was asking a question rather than making a point, and the question doesn’t depend on whether Jimmer is or isn’t a pure PG. In sum, Jimmer’s 6’1 frame and lack of athleticism meant that his high volume, deep-3 game didn’t translate to the NBA despite the fact that he went 10 overall. I’m guessing you didn’t watch Jimmer play much, or maybe we simply disagree, but Jimmer and Trae are very comparable in many ways....and to me, there’s an equal chance that Trae ultimately has a career like Jimmer’s as there is that he has a career like Nash or Curry. Yes, Trae’s a better passer than Jimmer - and Jimmer’s refusal to change his game to pass-first mode was part of his problem in the NBA - but Trae isn’t exactly pass first, either. He’s a more talented passer, but will Trae’s passing matter if he can’t beat guys off the dribble, finish in the lane, or shoot it from deep at a higher clip than he did over the second half of his freshman year and SL? Maybe he can, but my main question is: Why do we believe Trae is more on the Nash/Curry side of the continuum rather than the Jimmer side?

Come on man. You are comparing a shooting guard/tweener to a real PG. You act like he had a choice to be a good passer. Jimmer was never a good passer and that came through in flying colors in college and even more so in the NBA.

They are really not that comparable unless your point is any high scoring college guard that ended up a bust is comparable. As a passer and penetrating guard, Jimmer could not tie Trae's shoe strings. The only thing they had in common was shooting threes and that is not much for a comparison.

• Like 1

0 Like this  

Come on man. You are comparing a shooting guard/tweener to a real PG. You act like he had a choice to be a good passer. Jimmer was never a good passer and that came through in flying colors in college and even more so in the NBA.

They are really not that comparable unless your point is any high scoring college guard that ended up a bust is comparable. As a passer and penetrating guard, Jimmer could not tie Trae's shoe strings. The only thing they had in common was shooting threes and that is not much for a comparison.

To add on to what you said, when Jimmer Fredette got drafted, he was a senior who had 4 years to develop that game. And he still wasn't a good passer, even if he was capable of making highlight passes. Trae on the other hand led the nation in scoring and assisting as a freshman. Even if his usage essentially inflated his numbers past what they should've been, that type of offensive output never comes from a freshman. I hated the pick at first, but I see what the hype is. His passing is so advanced, he might walk into the league a top 10 passer even if the rest of his game lags behind. Trae has superstar written all over him if he works on his offball game and improves his finishing inside the arc.

Part of that will be finding a SG worth taking the ball out of Young's hands, but if Trae puts it together, you're getting passing near the level of Nash along with the scoring potential (likely below) of Curry.

• Like 1