• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sports Illustrated disagrees with a lot of you here

Peoriabird

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I wouldn’t expect them to have that much experience in watching him play.  If they had along with the projection from folks in the know about his future 3 point proficiency he couldn’t be any lower than 70-ish.  

I didn’t know the did the full 100, I only got to 51 (Favors over Porzingis?). Was Dennis honorable mention too?  Guys like Rubio and Reggie Jackson are always overrated on lists.

Dennis was listed at #80.  Rubio #57; Reggie #97.  Rookies are not included.

It shouldn't even take projections to include Collins.  He was #64 in the league in total win shares; #66 in ws/48 (>500 mp); #57 in PER; #67 in BPM; and #69 in VORP.  Now once you factor in development and project with the perimeter skills he was showing late last year and this summer then you could get higher but how do you not have him on the list?  That is insane to me.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

CBS 100 Top Players:

2842788.png
John CollinsATLANTA HAWKS PF
Yes, there were some stars at the top of the group, but one of the reasons last season's rookie class was one of the best ever was because of the depth. Because of players like Collins. An incredible athlete, Collins nearly averaged a double-double, protected the rim and was always a threat to put someone on a poster. -- Maloney

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/top-100-nba-players-for-2018-19-rankings-lead-with-lebron-james-and-stay-west-heavy-at-top

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No Hawks on the ESPN 100 (they've listed 31 thru 100) List.

Since we've been told, over and over, that no player on the Hawks current roster could possibly start on any other of the 29 NBA teams, what should we expect.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Since we've been told, over and over, that no player on the Hawks current roster could possibly start on any other of the 29 NBA teams, what should we expect.

Gramps you seem to take all this negativity towards us in stride...I still grit my teeth in anger ?...goosefrabaaaaa

3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Gramps you seem to take all this negativity towards us in stride...I still grit my teeth in anger ?...goosefrabaaaaa

When your opponent thinks that you're good, you can't sneak up on him.  If, on the other hand, he 'knows" you are terrible, he he, he just might go to sleep too soon and wake up being thoroughly outdone.

We can't possibly be as bad as some "experts" believe.  Therefore, every victory this upcoming season will be super sweet!  I've said we could win half our games this season.  Then, I was told Half of that 41 would be lucky.

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Collins deserves to be higher on the list but it is appropriate that he is our top rated player.  If he was playing in New York he would be something like #60.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

When your opponent thinks that you're good, you can't sneak up on him.  If, on the other hand, he 'knows" you are terrible, he he, he just might go to sleep too soon and wake up being thoroughly outdone.

We can't possibly be as bad as some "experts" believe.  Therefore, every victory this upcoming season will be super sweet!  I've said we could win half our games this season.  Then, I was told Half of that 41 would be lucky.

Wisdom!

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Collins deserves to be higher on the list but it is appropriate that he is our top rated player.  If he was playing in New York he would be something like #60.

Agreed..or Chicago or LA..

• Like 1

• Moderators

I thought you'd get a good chuckle out of Klay Thompson getting called the "second-best shooter in NBA history" on there.  LMAO  He is a very good shooter but come on.  Play with willing passers as the team's 3rd option and your %s stand to benefit dramatically from all the open looks.  Bring this back up after he puts up these %s as the focus of an opposing defense instead of an after thought behind Curry and Durant.

25 minutes ago, AHF said:

I thought you'd get a good chuckle out of Klay Thompson getting called the "second-best shooter in NBA history" on there.  LMAO  He is a very good shooter but come on.  Play with willing passers as the team's 3rd option and your %s stand to benefit dramatically from all the open looks.  Bring this back up after he puts up these %s as the focus of an opposing defense instead of an after thought behind Curry and Durant.

Ugh ?...I hear enough of this garbage living in the bay..I’m sorry it was a different game 30 years ago..entire teams took like 5-8 3’s all game..now a player takes that in a given night. Ya it’s ? able for sure..

Larry Bird Dale Ellis Reggie Miller etc.

Im sorry I’m from the old school...

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Not surprised by the ESPN ranking.  It's what they do.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AHF said:

I keep seeing Lauri Maarkenan ranked real high but Collins not so much.

If I'm reading the side by side stats correctly, considering Collins limited minutes and starts, I'd give Collins the edge.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=John+Collins&player_id1_select=John+Collins&y1=2018&player_id1=collijo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Lauri+Markkanen&player_id2_select=Lauri+Markkanen&y2=2018&player_id2=markkla01&idx=players

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I keep seeing Lauri Maarkenan ranked real high but Collins not so much.

If I'm reading the side by side stats correctly, considering Collins limited minutes and starts, I'd give Collins the edge.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=John+Collins&player_id1_select=John+Collins&y1=2018&player_id1=collijo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Lauri+Markkanen&player_id2_select=Lauri+Markkanen&y2=2018&player_id2=markkla01&idx=players

Looking at it unbiased though, I’d give a slight edge in Markk for their rookie years but I’m not ready to say he’s better..gotta see if either have a sophomore slump.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Looking at it unbiased though, I’d give a slight edge in Markk for their rookie years but I’m not ready to say he’s better..gotta see if either have a sophomore slump.

That's OK for a slight edge but take a look at Markk ranking in all the 100 List vs Collins.

27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's OK for a slight edge but take a look at Markk ranking in all the 100 List vs Collins.

I see ur point. No way Collins is #100 and Lauri is #68...to top that off, Donic, Ayton, and Bagley are all ahead of Collins as well? I don’t like this list too much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Baze is #1...Top 10 Players to Be Dealt This Season

1. Kent Bazemore, SG/SF, Atlanta Hawks

During the 2017-18 season, he made across-the-board improvements and upped his slash line from a miserable 40.9/34.6/70.8 to a head-turning 42.0/39.4/79.6 while taking more threes and making additional trips to the charity stripe. Despite the Atlanta Hawks' season-long futility, he became a living embodiment of the three-and-D archetype as one of only three qualified players to shoot better than 39 percent from downtown on at least four attempts per contest while posting a defensive box plus/minus north of one. 

With two years remaining (assuming Bazemore picks up his $19.3 million player option for 2019-20), he has successfully made the albatross-to-asset transition. As much as he boosts the Hawks while on the floor (3.8 points per 100 possessions in 2017-18), he'll be even more valuable when a contender inevitably comes inquiring about his services and offers rebuild-aiding pieces to the Eastern bottom-feeders.

At least we won't have to include an asset to move him if that's the route Travis is taking.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2797627-nba-trade-big-board-ranking-the-top-10-players-to-be-dealt-this-season#slide9

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Baze is #1...Top 10 Players to Be Dealt This Season

At least we won't have to include an asset to move him if that's the route Travis is taking.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2797627-nba-trade-big-board-ranking-the-top-10-players-to-be-dealt-this-season#slide9

Baze is going to have a monster year.

• Like 2