• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Offseason Grades

AHF

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You sure about that?  Has he played more than 24 games in a season?

Yes, with only Len ahead of him in the pecking order until Bruno shows something, I’m sure about it 👍🏽

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, hazer said:

Yes,

Doesn't look like it

2016-17
GSGS
2017-18
GSGS
2018-19
GSGS
Career  

GP GS MIN FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
10 0 8.5 0.8-1.6 50.0 0.0-0.0 0.0 0.3-1.0 30.0 0.9 1.4 2.3 0.0 0.4 0.1 1.5 0.6 1.9
15 0 5.9 0.7-1.5 50.0 0.0-0.0 0.0 0.2-0.3 60.0 0.3 0.6 0.9 0.1 0.2 0.1 0.9 0.3 1.7
24 22 17.1 2.2-3.1 71.6 0.0-0.0 0.0 1.0-1.5 64.9 1.3 1.8 3.1 1.2 1.0 0.5 2.6 0.7 5.4

3 minutes ago, hazer said:

Yes, with only Len ahead of him in the pecking order until Bruno shows something, I’m sure about it 👍🏽

I’m gonna go,

D Jones

Len

Beuno

until mid Feb.  then

D Jones 

Bruno

Len (traded)

My guess.

ps If Curry can throw these lobs to Damian, Trae is gonna make him look really good around the hoop.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:thinking:...if that's all your interpretation of what we got from Len's year last season...I'll leave you to wallow.

The only thing he improved upon is his 3 point shooting.  But his defense, hands and ability to finish in traffic spells back up center to me not starter.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, AHF said:

He scored 33% more points per minute than his previous career high.  But that isn't something he improved on?  He made a big development in taking a more prominent role in the offense than at any time in his career.  I'd consider that something new.

He may well end up having a career as a plus reserve center but that doesn't mean he is done developing and I'd say that his more featured role on offense and his 3pt shot are two things that were new for him last year and are promising for him having a bigger role this season.  

Did he inprove or did Trae make him look better than he really is?

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He played a much bigger role in the offense and no doubt part of that is Trae's ability to find big men for easy scores.  So his stepping up to take and make more shots is the improvement and playing well with Trae is likely why our GM didn't prioritize upgrading our options at center.  The big change is taking more jumpers and putting more pressure on the defense than he ever did in Phoenix. 

Notably, Damian Jones best skill is rolling to the rim so I wouldn't be surprised to see him be more effective for us than he was in GS.  That said, my hopes aren't particularly high.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Perhaps.  But, isn't that Trae's job, to make his team mates better and improve their chances of winning?  I believe so. 

:smug:

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

He played a much bigger role in the offense and no doubt part of that is Trae's ability to find big men for easy scores.  So his stepping up to take and make more shots is the improvement and playing well with Trae is likely why our GM didn't prioritize upgrading our options at center.

Notably, Damian Jones best skill is rolling to the rim so I wouldn't be surprised to see him be more effective for us than he was in GS.  That said, my hopes aren't particularly high.

We could have done better and both of us know this!

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

We could have done better and both of us know this!

That is a different question.  If there is a player that looks back on their rookie season and says, "You know, I couldn't have done anything better" then I'll give that player a nice standing ovation.  Don't think he exists, though.

Defense was a weakness for Trae all season.  He needs to improve in every sense - awareness, effort, positioning, technique, etc.  This isn't news to any Hawks fan.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is a different question.  If there is a player that looks back on their rookie season and says, "You know, I couldn't have done anything better" then I'll give that player a nice standing ovation.  Don't think he exists, though.

Defense was a weakness for Trae all season.  He needs to improve in every sense - awareness, effort, positioning, technique, etc.  This isn't news to any Hawks fan.

Done better in free agancy!

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Done better in free agancy!

Trae Young has nothing to do with free agency.

Schlenk clearly could have devoted more resources to trying to put this team in position to win this year and deliberately chose not to do so.

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, AHF said:

???  I have no idea why you made that statement

Schlenk clearly could have devoted more resources to trying to put this team in position to win this year and deliberately chose not to do so.

This has been my point the entire time!

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

???  I have no idea why you made that statement

This has been my point the entire time!

I made a statement about Trae Young being like all other rookies in that they will all have things they should have done better.  Then you strangely quoted my statement and said, "Done better in FA."  There was a total disconnect between what you quoted and what you posted in response to the quote.

So now you are confused by what I posted.  To clarify, I pointed out that the sentence you quoted was focused on Trae and that your response had nothing to do with the quote.  Then I gave a second sentence about our GM who wasn't mentioned in my post since you didn't seem to be responding to my post at all (even though you quoted it) and I made the leap to what I thought you were talking about.  Looks like I was right.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, AHF said:

I made a statement about Trae Young being like all other rookies in that they will all have things they should have done better.  Then you strangely quoted my statement and said, "Done better in FA."  There was a total disconnect

3 hours ago, AHF said:

He played a much bigger role in the offense and no doubt part of that is Trae's ability to find big men for easy scores.  So his stepping up to take and make more shots is the improvement and playing well with Trae is likely why our GM didn't prioritize upgrading our options at center.  The big change is taking more jumpers and putting more pressure on the defense than he ever did in Phoenix. 

between what you quoted and what you posted in response to the quote.

So now you are confused by what I posted.  To clarify, I pointed out that the sentence you quoted was focused on Trae and that your response had nothing to do with the quote.  Then I gave a second sentence about our GM who wasn't mentioned in my post since you didn't seem to be responding to my post at all (even though you quoted it) and I made the leap to what I thought you were talking about.  Looks like I was right.

How is that a statement about Trae Young and Not Alex len?

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

How is that a statement about Trae Young and Not Alex len?

I'm really struggling to follow you here, Peo.  You know that this is the statement you quoted, right? 

You quoted this and typed "Done better in free agency."  

There is a total disconnect between the quote and the post.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm really struggling to follow you here, Peo.  You know that this is the statement you quoted, right? 

You quoted this and typed "Done better in free agency."  

There is a total disconnect between the quote and the post.

We'll try this one more time...The 1st time I said we both know we could have done better...You started talking about Trae Young and how things could have gone better during the season so I clarified what i meant by could have done better by including in free agency.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

We'll try this one more time...The 1st time I said we both know we could have done better...You started talking about Trae Young and how things could have gone better during the season so I clarified what i meant by could have done better by including in free agency.

I don't disagree with you that we could have built a stronger team for this season and could have gotten stronger players (particularly in the front court) in free agency but simply chose not to do so.  I think Schlenk wants one more shot at lottery glory.

On 8/7/2019 at 5:48 PM, AHF said:

Looking to consolidate these here after seeing another one today:

Dan Feldman

NBC Sports

Grade: C-

Short Version:

• Hawks gave up too much to move from 8 to 4
  • Hawks made a great addition with Cam
  • Prince trade was good value
  • Bazemore trade was a downgrade in talent but no long-term impact
  • Center is very shallow with Fernando being a developmental center
  • Hawks have a good foundation in building for the long term with a clear vision (contrasted to the Bulls who traded off Elton Brand and Ron Artest)

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/hawks-show-even-more-commitment-180343138.html

This goes back to the same point I was making.  If the question is, "Did the Hawks get a better mix of players than most teams?", then the answer is A-. If the question is, "Did they get good value for the assets they brought into the draft?", then the answer is no. But it was a question of they brought in too much with too much of it being 2nd rounders. 8, 10, 17 was a whole lot of Meh in this draft. The Hawks got very, very lucky (or I'm willing to concede got very savvy) when Cam fell to 10. But again, his grade is one of "their draft had so much more potential" and two "who are the starters on the Hawks again...I have to write a draft blurb and...oh I'll just wing it, I'm a national writer".