• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anyone actually think that this NBA restart is going to finish??

Wurider05

• Moderators

I think it will end up finishing.  What is curious for me is whether it ends up being a total sham or is perceived as a legit championship.  LA lost a starter and their 8th man.  If they lose LeBron or AD during a series, is anyone going to consider that a legit victory over the Lakers?

It is like injuries but could be so much more prevalent that it undermines the authenticity of the playoffs and they end up looking like an exhibition.

• Like 2

So far only a couple of players have broken the rules, and they were just role players, then placed in quarantine. No post-bubble Covid-19 positives have been reported either. So looks like things are working well. Cases in Florida should have no impact, that was the whole point of the bubble. 

1 hour ago, Wurider05 said:

My common sense is telling me that there is no way this thing finishes out. They should have just cancelled the season. Florida is setting records for new cases. 

They are inside a "bubble." Florida residents are not coming to and fro. Everyone is being tested, and workers that leave the bubble aren't anywhere near the players (custodians, maintenance, etc).

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think it will end up finishing.  What is curious for me is whether it ends up being a total sham or is perceived as a legit championship.  LA lost a starter and their 8th man.  If they lose LeBron or AD during a series, is anyone going to consider that a legit victory over the Lakers?

It is like injuries but could be so much more prevalent that it undermines the authenticity of the playoffs and they end up looking like an exhibition.

I think the chances of it being considered legit are already pretty much out the window but that won't matter when you look at the trophy or the ring or when they say a player won 3 championships.  But if the Bucks win and it's their only one of the Giannis era then it'll be a huge *

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I think the chances of it being considered legit are already pretty much out the window but that won't matter when you look at the trophy or the ring or when they say a player won 3 championships.  But if the Bucks win and it's their only one of the Giannis era then it'll be a huge *

As long as the stars are not quarantined, it is completely legit. In fact, with no home court advantage for anyone, it'll be pure basketball. 

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

But if the Bucks win and it's their only one of the Giannis era then it'll be a huge *

I’m rooting against the Bucks. I wanted Korver to get a ring but I’d rather Giannis come play with Trae. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

As long as the stars are not quarantined, it is completely legit. In fact, with no home court advantage for anyone, it'll be pure basketball. 

To me, the legitimacy of the season was already gone once they had a multiple month stop.  That turns it into something completely different and becomes its own thing.  If you now have teams missing starters, etc. then that becomes even more disconnected with where things were when the season stopped.  If you have teams missing stars for non-injury reasons, then it is exhibition time.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

People will discount this championship no matter who wins imo. 

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Rumors says it's Montrezl Harrell :laugh:.  I'm guessing she could be on the invited list of 'Family members' after the 1st round of the playoffs since they'll get tested before arriving.

Is this Alice’s sister? 😃 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, AHF said:

To me, the legitimacy of the season was already gone once they had a multiple month stop.  That turns it into something completely different and becomes its own thing.  If you now have teams missing starters, etc. then that becomes even more disconnected with where things were when the season stopped.  If you have teams missing stars for non-injury reasons, then it is exhibition time.

It's different for sure, but in my opinion still legitimate. Come on, only a handful of players are missing, and non of them stars. If star players get quarantined, lll concede, but that hasn't happened. I'm kinda intrigued by who is up for the challenge of competing in an unusual setting, in unusual circumstances, there's something to be said for rising to the occasion when the chips are down.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Can we eliminate them? Like from the states? They are really screwing stuff up as a whole here.

I vote we dub them North Cuba from now on.

(Disclaimer: This was a proximity joke, not a nationality joke.)

• Haha 2

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It's different for sure, but in my opinion still legitimate. Come on, only a handful of players are missing, and non of them stars. If star players get quarantined, lll concede, but that hasn't happened. I'm kinda intrigued by who is up for the challenge of competing in an unusual setting, in unusual circumstances, there's something to be said for rising to the occasion when the chips are down.

I'm interested in watching people play for sure and to see the drama.  But it won't be a regular season championship.  It will be more like winning an offseason international tournament in that teams won't be dialed in the same way they were or would have been during a regular season.  Kind of like if the 2016 Hawks had been able to have the playoffs in January.  For them that would have been magnificent to take place when they were red hot.  But the reality is that teams adjusted and by playoff time, the team no longer resembled a true contender.  Similarly, I think a team could get hot here and face off against a team that isn't in rhythm and score some major upsets that wouldn't happen in a normal playoff scenario.  Doesn't mean it is uninteresting, just that it is a different exercise with a lot more noise in the results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I vote we dub them North Cuba from now on.

(Disclaimer: This was a proximity joke, not a nationality joke.)

Sorry I forgot ur BIL was a Floridian. Didn’t mean to send him to the sea 🌊 on a raft or anything.