• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Re-Living Ferry's Second(?) Worst Day as Hawks GM

lethalweapon3

8 hours ago, Threezus said:

The fact we had 2 picks that could have easily been packaged to move up for him is what pisses me off the most.  If you have a guy who you are literally locked in on and want more than any player in the draft.  Because you feel that highly on him that he could be a star then you go fricken get him.  I have always hated sitting on your ass and not going for your player and hoping he falls to you.

They thought that they had the 'ins' on him without realizing that they just fired the one guy (Larry Drew) who knew of their intentions. Although Milwaukee's front office may have known about him, there's no doubt that Drew confirmed everything they thought about Giannis and then some to the point of drafting him.

They had two first round picks and could've moved up a spot or three to ensure that they get their man. I know that I would've...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Threezus said:

The fact we had 2 picks that could have easily been packaged to move up for him is what pisses me off the most.  If you have a guy who you are literally locked in on and want more than any player in the draft.  Because you feel that highly on him that he could be a star then you go fricken get him.  I have always hated sitting on your ass and not going for your player and hoping he falls to you.

Ferry tried to trade the two picks for Giannis after the bucks selected him. The bucks declined.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I want to fire Danny Ferry right now. 

I never like Ferry at all. He was a mediocre GM with a huge ego. I know a lot of people on here liked him but hawks fan expectations for a GM were so low due to the ASG regime.

His "rebuild" and accumulate assets while competing game plan was a complete flop. Whoever thinks a team can do that all at once is delusion. He used a once in a generation trade (Harden trade) to justify his plan.

All he did was reduce our payroll and let veterans build up their market value which put us in a position where we had to overpay to keep them.

His free agency flops and draft flops led us to more wasted years of mediocrity even after his departure. 

Edited by yungsta

• Admin
37 minutes ago, yungsta said:

I never like Ferry at all. He was a mediocre GM with a huge ego. I know a lot of people on here liked him but hawks fan expectations for a GM were so low due to the ASG regime.

His "rebuild" and accumulate assets while competing game plan was a complete flop. Whoever thinks a team can do that all at once is delusion. He used a once in a generation trade (Harden trade) to justify his plan.

All he did was reduce our payroll and let veterans build up their market value which put us in a position where we had to overpay to keep them.

His free agency flops and draft flops led us to more wasted years of mediocrity even after his departure. 

Ferry did a great job of putting a team together ... He acquired the right chemistry guys to help this team reach 60 wins.  

2 hours ago, yungsta said:

Ferry tried to trade the two picks for Giannis after the bucks selected him. The bucks declined.

Lol, I wonder why?

I would've found another mark ahead of the Bucks to trade up with. Easier said than done but considering what we know now, it would've been well worth the trouble...

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, capstone21 said:

Ferry did a great job of putting a team together ... He acquired the right chemistry guys to help this team reach 60 wins.  

I would have liked to see how it would have played out with Ferry guiding the team rather than Budcox.  Don't know if it would have petered out or not but he built arguably the best team in Atlanta history.  Couldn't have done worse than Bud.  I think he would have made some harder calls and been willing to see the departures of guys like Bazemore (no huge overpay), Horford (no walk for nothing), and Sap (no walk for nothing).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I would have liked to see how it would have played out with Ferry guiding the team rather than Budcox.  Don't know if it would have petered out or not but he built arguably the best team in Atlanta history.  Couldn't have done worse than Bud.  I think he would have made some harder calls and been willing to see the departures of guys like Bazemore (no huge overpay), Horford (no walk for nothing), and Sap (no walk for nothing).

Bud was definitely in over his head as a GM.  People forget he has 1 year of head coaching experience under his belt before having to take over GM duties.

3 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I was very pessimistic about the 60 win team because we had 2 months of elite play then finished the season looking extremely mediocre once teams started adjusting to us.

They looked very underwhelming in the playoffs against teams that should have been handled with ease before getting completely embarrassed by the cavs.