• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks eyeing Kenny smith and chauncey

Spud2nique

The Atlanta Hawks may be looking at Kenny Smith and Chauncey Billups in their search for a new head coach after firing Lloyd Pierce, according to The Athletic's Chris Kirschner.

"I wrote an initial coaching candidates story after Pierce was fired, and since then I've heard two additional names to keep an eye on: Kenny Smith of Inside the NBA and Clippers assistant Chauncey Billups," Kirschner wrote. "That's not me reporting they're top candidates or anything like that, but they've come up in different conversations."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I absolutely hate Kenny Smith. He was with us for a brief moment in the early 90’s and played possum to get traded to the Rockets 🚀. I’m not forgetting that and hope he isn’t the one.

As for Chauncey, I like him a lot more than Kenny but less than Mark Jackson. 

All three were former point guards though and all three played in the NBA (unlike Lloyd).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hawkman said:

This can't be serious. The last thing this young team needs is another first time head coach. 

Ya I agree with this a lot which is why I’m still all Mark Jackson, who actually had a relationship with Schlenk. Otherwise, I’m not really for hiring another first time coach.

I don’t think Kenny Smith can coach.

OT on Kenny here but I heard during the all star break that he was trying to explain a gambling line to folks that was +800, and he said “oh it means if you place $1, then you win $800”? Ernie then corrected him and said, $100 wins $800... 

I know it has nothing to do with coaching but he works next to a gambler like Chuck all these years, prolly means he doesn’t listen very well, also Kenny loves to hear himself talk... AND he was nothing but a coattail rider of Akeem (not Hak I was a resident in H town in 1981, it’ll always be Akeem, even if he changed it lol), and playing behind the real point guard success Sam Cassell. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya I agree with this a lot which is why I’m still all Mark Jackson, who actually had a relationship with Schlenk. Otherwise, I’m not really for hiring another first time coach.

I don’t think Kenny Smith can coach.

OT on Kenny here but I heard during the all star break that he was trying to explain a gambling line to folks that was +800, and he said “oh it means if you place $1, then you win $800”? Ernie then corrected him and said, $100 wins $800... 

I know it has nothing to do with coaching but he works next to a gambler like Chuck all these years, prolly means he doesn’t listen very well, also Kenny loves to hear himself talk... AND he was nothing but a coattail rider of Akeem (not Hak I was a resident in H town in 1981, it’ll always be Akeem, even if he changed it lol), and playing behind the real point guard success Sam Cassell. 

It's not even a question who I'd choose between Billups and Kenny. Billups all the way. Kenny needs to stay right where he is. But I think any first time coach would be a bad choice for this team at this time. 

• Like 2

I am against a first time hiring this time. LP was a great try and I am sure he was a great interview. I also thought Mike Woodson was a potential good hire as well. I am tired of being wrong 🤣

I want a veteran coach with experience. Its a 4 or 5 year plan. Trae will be in the middle of his 2nd contract and 26/27 years old when this next coach's contract ends. No more experiments with people who claim to be coaching visionaries before they have won their first game. I like Nate a lot. If not Nate, then Atkinson, D'Antoni, etc...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Sam Cassell. 

Speaking of Cassell I like him over Kenny and about the same As Chauncey.

Mark Jackson>Cassell>Chauncey>

the guy waiving the progressive insurance sign on the street>kenny

He would get canned faster than his show on TBS got cancelled, anyone remember that train 🚂 wreck of a show? 

Honestly, I don’t even know how he works for inside the NBA, there has to be 100 retired players with better NBA analysis than him. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I like Nate a lot. If not Nate, then Atkinson, D'Antoni, etc...

I agree here but wonder what our man Stephen A would think about it... you know he’s just waiting to go off if we hire a white coach.

Again, I don’t care if our coach is black, white or purple as long as he can coach. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I am against a first time hiring this time. LP was a great try and I am sure he was a great interview. I also thought Mike Woodson was a potential good hire as well. I am tired of being wrong 🤣

I want a veteran coach with experience. Its a 4 or 5 year plan. Trae will be in the middle of his 2nd contract and 26/27 years old when this next coach's contract ends. No more experiments with people who claim to be coaching visionaries before they have won their first game. I like Nate a lot. If not Nate, then Atkinson, D'Antoni, etc...

I've got a feeling that Trae is going to be very empowered and have a say in this decision.  I'm curious to see how his relationship with Nate McMillan is the rest of this season.  

Just now, Spud2nique said:

I agree here but wonder what our man Stephen A would think about it... you know he’s just waiting to go off if we hire a white coach.

Again, I don’t care if our coach is black, white or purple as long as he can coach. 

I don't care to much about Stephen A but we all know that. He is one of my buttons that could be pushed if I did not laugh about his silly ass  🙂

I am with you. I want us to establish that mythical winning culture. Hiring a coach with a winning background makes to much sense. I am hoping Ressler and Schlenk think it makes the most sense.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Speaking of Cassell I like him over Kenny and about the same As Chauncey.

Mark Jackson>Cassell>Chauncey>

the guy waiving the progressive insurance sign on the street>kenny

He would get canned faster than his show on TBS got cancelled, anyone remember that train 🚂 wreck of a show? 

Honestly, I don’t even know how he works for inside the NBA, there has to be 100 retired players with better NBA analysis than him. 

I'm not sure what you see in Marc Jackson.  I haven't seen any source mention him in connection with this job.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I've got a feeling that Trae is going to be very empowered and have a say in this decision.  I'm curious to see how his relationship with Nate McMillan is the rest of this season.  

I think Trae will have some input. I also think winning cures most ills in sports psychology. If Nate gets this team on track, he has a inside track. I also think Nate is going to empower Trae in a similar way he did Oladipo when he broke out. The Hawks will be Trae's again. Not the visionary want to be head coaches.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

I think Trae will have some input. I also think winning cures most ills in sports psychology. If Nate gets this team on track, he has a inside track. I also think Nate is going to empower Trae in a similar way he did Oladipo when he broke out. The Hawks will be Trae's again. Not the visionary want to be head coaches.

I think this will be the ideal situation.  My preference long term is Atkinson, but I have a feeling that Schlenk and Ressler aren't going to move on Atkinson.  Chris mentioned in his article that NBA playing experience, particularly as a point guard, may be an important factor.  Because of this, I have a feeling that outside of Nate, guys like Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, and perhaps Sam Cassell will be guys they look at.  I prefer Nate to all of them.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I'm not sure what you see in Marc Jackson.  I haven't seen any source mention him in connection with this job.  

Ya it’s my Bay Area connect. It’s not in the Chris Kirsh Athletic. It’s Mark not Marc.

7 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

From your lips to God’s 👂🏽.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I think this will be the ideal situation.  My preference long term is Atkinson, but I have a feeling that Schlenk and Ressler aren't going to move on Atkinson.  Chris mentioned in his article that NBA playing experience, particularly as a point guard, may be an important factor.  Because of this, I have a feeling that outside of Nate, guys like Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, and perhaps Sam Cassell will be guys they look at.  I prefer Nate to all of them.

Before McMillan was fired, Atkinson was my 1st choice to replace Pierce. Its weird but both coaches were doing good to great jobs when they were fired. Both firings caught me off guard.

Either works for me. I like D'Antoni a lot but worry about his age.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Buzzard said:

D'Antoni

I like Dantoni but if his ceiling with Nash, Amare, Marion and JJ was the conference finals and not the finals or a ring, then I do worry a bit. Having said that he had to deal with the Spurs who were machine like when it came to execution.

Just now, Spud2nique said:

I like Dantoni but if his ceiling with Nash, Amare, Marion and JJ was the conference finals and not the finals or a ring, then I do worry a bit. Having said that he had to deal with the Spurs who were machine like when it came to execution.

And JJ got hurt and missed some of the playoffs. He bolted after that. Nash said he thought they had the best team and did not want JJ to go. JJ wanted his own team and felt disrespected by the Suns owner. I still think it was one of the dumbest trades over the past 20 years.

They should have kept JJ and played to win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1