Playing Time: How are we distributing minutes this year?

ATLHawks3

8 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Let's let the season play out. If all 15 main lineup guys stay healthy all season long than sure, load manage.

But injuries and foul trouble do happen, and having a deep team keeps us from having to struggle through those times. You trade Gallo and you are a John Collins injury away from Solo playing 20 mins a night again.

The Gallo thing to me has to be for a blockbuster deal and not just to clear a path for JJ to play. We potentially have a championship window right now. Gallo's experience and skillset is something you need in a run to the chip. In the NBA, until proven otherwise, vets are who help you win rings. I love our young guys as much as the next. They will be exciting as hell to watch. But the Lou's, Bogi's, Wright's, Gallo's, Clint, Dieng and Solo's of the world are going to be the ones who help our core navigate the postseason and get over the hump.

Add to that, Gallo may be the guy on the team who wants a ring the most. He was one of the toughest voices in the locker room preaching urgency last season. We still need that energy. 

I agree, no need to make a move now.  We are going to get much better just by being healthy and with the continued development of the young guys, plus the Wright/Dieng/Rookie additions.  We very well could have enough right now to win it all, especially if one of the Big 3 Nets gets hurt.  

I honestly feel like we can compete with them full strength, I mean who the hell guards Trae?  He will breakdown their D on every possession.  Granted, we can't stop them either but I think it would be closer than expected.  Getting way ahead of myself though.😀

8 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I keep trying to figure out who this magical super star player is...And please don't bring up Dame or Bradley Beal.  We have enough guards.

Don't want them.  The landscape always changes though during the season.  Team has an unexpected bad season and suddenly a player comes available.  Happens every year.  Just saying what is possible, not that we need to make a deal right now.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Here is my best guess and I'm doing this by listing the averages I'd expect to show up on their stats rather than dividing 48 minutes per position.  (Again, when players miss games it results in inflation of minutes for bench players and that is what you see when you look at their mpg).  As an example of this from last season, we saw the following minutes per game from our PGs:  Trae 34, Lou 21, Goodwin 13 (that is 68 minutes per game from guys mostly playing point despite only 48 minutes of available time in any individual game because Lou and Goodwin didn't play in a lot of games during the regular season for us last year).

Trae Young 34 mpg

John Collins 30 mpg

Clint Capela 28 mpg

Bogdan Bogdanovich 28 mpg

DeAndre Hunter 28 mpg 

Kevin Huerter 25 mpg

Cam Reddish 25 mpg 

Danillo Gallinari 23 mpg

Onyeka Okongwu 17 mpg (will miss most or a lot of games depending on recovery timeline)

Delon Wright 17 mpg

Gorgui Dieng 10 mpg

Lou Williams 10 mpg (will miss a lot of games)

Solo 8 mpg (will miss most games)

Jalen Johnson 9 mpg (will most or a lot of games)

Sharife Cooper 3.5 mpg (will miss most games)

Note that the players in bold would have dramatically lower averages if you simply divided total minutes played by 82 games while I think the others would be pretty consistent if they played a full 82 game schedule (where other players missed time).  (In other words, I think these players have their mpg the most inflated by dividing by games played instead of 82 games).

• Like 1