• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Review the trade reviewer

sturt

• Premium Member

So, Kirschner invited Hawks fans to submit their trade ideas to him, and he would take the "best" of those, and give feedback.

Occurs to me, why not review the reviewer?

Here are screenshots of a few (not all, so as to not offend anyone or beg for copyright issues)... I excluded the ones where he believed one side or the other definitively would rule out the trade...

What do you think of his perspectives?

2022-02-07_15-06-29.png

2022-02-07_15-05-54.png

2022-02-07_15-03-32.png

2022-02-07_15-03-09.png

2022-02-07_14-59-28.png

• Premium Member

Whoa. Have to say I'm a bit surprised that no one's been compelled to disagree (or agree) with Kirschner.

Of the 5, I'm only seriously tempted by #2... I was championing acquiring White last off-season and more recently I've been championing acquiring That Young. It's a deal I would make if we could rewind back to the off-season, but now I feel it's too late in the season to tinker quite so much with the rotation and expect players to almost immediately gel together.

I don't mind #3, but it's an overpay. I'm just not persuaded that Craig would get on the court very much. I'd give up a single 2nd, not two.

And I actually like love acquiring Kenny Hustle (#4), if you happen to have been paying attention. But that's an overpay as well. I mean you really have to be convinced that Williams is quite possibly the difference between a EC Finals appearance and an NBA Finals appearance... and as much as I still hold confidence in this team, that's too high a price.

Rather, what I'd offer is essentially to flip our CHO pick with OKC's PHX pick... that's the Goldilocks cost, imo.

• Like 1

• Moderators

My $.02:

#1 - Seeing Chris's statement that Smart is someone who can "create for themselves" made me throw up in my mouth a bit.  Who can't "create for themselves" at a clip like Smart's career 37.9% FG%?  The only reason you trade for Smart is for his non-scoring - his defense, passing and rebounding.  He should be a significant upgrade over Bogi in all those areas.  Again, if his defense is a standout like he was a few years ago then he is attractive.  If it has fallen off, however, then I don't see the fit at all.  I really dislike people who really like to shoot but can't do it well so I'll hold my nose and hope for the best if we deal for him.  Him shooting ~5 3's a game at 30.7% this year has me recalling shades of Smoove.  The only players less efficient than him (for total offense, not for 3's) on our roster this season are Lou and Knox.  That sucks.  

#2 - This one is interesting.  Lot of pieces involved that nets to we lose two contributors (Wright/Gallo) and get two back in return.  Seems like an upgrade.

#3 - Not too bad.  Clearly, Craig is just a "flesh out the rotation" guy.  I don't value Knox so it is really about the 2nd round picks for me and I'm not broken up if we get a contributor rotation guy for the rest of this year and the next.  

#4 - First round pick seems like a bit of an overpay given that Kenrich becomes an UFA after next year.  Whether the deal makes sense could pivot on whether we are able to resign him.  That pick is not just a value in and of itself but is key ammunition if we wanted to do a bigger deal where we are giving like 3 first round picks or something so letting it go for a role player limits what we can do.

#5 - This one just seems strange.  Can't really imagine doing a deal where we end up having no backup PG (CJ isn't a point); we have Bogi, Huerter, and CJ all competing for minutes at SG; and where we give up one of our 4 viable big men (knowing that Gallo is almost surely gone after this year).  Just doesn't really seem to align.  The Bogi/Gallo formulation makes a lot more sense.  The point about having seen the upside of Lillard/CJ and seeing Trae/CJ as similar is fair which would then naturally raise the question of whether Hunter, JC, OO, Cap, etc. are superior to the support those guys had in Portland (and I'd generally think the answer is "yes" to that).

• Like 2