• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The types of people on Hawksquawk on Deadline Day.....

Diesel

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I don't think last year was a fluke but I do think the team ahead of us got better at the trade deadline and we did nothing. This team is going to have a hard time the rest of the season. There's no way anyone can disagree with that. 

The big trade didn't happen and the only major trade that could happen will be in the offseason. We still don't have a playmaker at all besides Trae and we still have a starting center that couldn't score if his life was on the line. Oh well.  it is what it is.

I think our Second Unit is stronger than last years.  I think that we have continuity on the first unit.  I disagree that the teams ahead got stronger, I would say Different.   It's going to take Philly some time to coalesce because they have lost their opportunity shooting and now have a new ball handler.   I think they got thinner behind Embiid too.   BKLN may have gotten better.. who knows.   They will have some chemistry issues too.  Teams that scare me with their moves are Charlotte and Milwaukee. 

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, noble said:

Fluke. Here’s the thing Trae can score (streaky) but he can’t help the defense. If you want to be a true superstar to carry your team you have to do both. Then the FO believes he alone can carry a team and did nothing to help him. No defensive help, no real second star (although I’ve argued Trae IS the second star they just don’t have a first), just a bunch of dudes. Afraid to spend money and make moves to even add a guy that COULD help. They desperately want to draft and develop, but fact is they don’t really do that. Then instead of keeping a guy they trade for picks/money or let them walk. They approach the off-season and trade deadline like the Cowboys front office does, and tbh it sucks. You can’t stay stagnant and hope for the best if everyone else is trying to get better. Not unless you have a top 5-10 player, which iwbh, we don’t have yet. 

You don't have to be a superstar on defense but just play the ball.   Trae can do that.   Superstars that just played the ball:

Magic, Bird, Isiah, Steph, etc.  

I believe that the FO didn't make any rash moves that would destroy our chemistry and our ability to be good in the future.  You got to get over the Cam stuff because Cam didn't want to be here.   He's the girl that told you that she wanted to see other people.   You can't keep faulting yourself for that. 

Travis has shown that when the right opportunity arises, he won't hesitate to pull the trigger but there's a blueprint. 

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Diesel said:

We have to define what's not a role player. 

A non-role player is a guy who can lead a team in my definition.  Trae is not a role player.   Trae leads his team.  If you believe that Klay can lead a team well... as well as an allstar should be able to ... then say that and I will put the San Antonio scenerio back out there.

You are using an entirely different definition of that word right now than the rest of the world.  

Scottie Pippen = role player.

James Worthy = role player.

Paul Pierce = role player.

Did these people lead teams as the #1 on their team to championships?  If not, must be a role player.  

Don't buy into that.  Steve Kerr was a good role player for the Bulls.  Pippen was not.  A Jordan-less Bulls team might have never won a ring but Pippen would have been a standout All-Star anywhere he played.

Prime Klay Thompson would likewise be a standout multiple All-Star anywhere he played and not someone that had to be carried onto an All-Star team simply by virtue of being a decent player on a standout roster.  My personal guess is that without Curry or Durant, he would be a 25 ppg guy who got on a few All-NBA defense teams while leading his team in scoring.

(Again, I'm never going to agree that Prime Klay = Murray in SA.  Prime Klay is much better.)

39 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You don't have to be a superstar on defense but just play the ball.   Trae can do that.   Superstars that just played the ball:

Magic, Bird, Isiah, Steph, etc.  

I believe that the FO didn't make any rash moves that would destroy our chemistry and our ability to be good in the future.  You got to get over the Cam stuff because Cam didn't want to be here.   He's the girl that told you that she wanted to see other people.   You can't keep faulting yourself for that. 

Travis has shown that when the right opportunity arises, he won't hesitate to pull the trigger but there's a blueprint. 

I don’t honestly care about Cam, that is what it is. All of those guys are better or at least put forth fairly solid effort in the defensive end. Also all four of these were on stacked teams and each are arguably top players of their generation, playing with other top stars of their generation. I don’t see Trae in that stratosphere (maybe he gets there, but he isn’t there). My bigger issue is this team has functioned the same since Nique. Get a guy, think he is the guy, hope he can carry you. Historically this team is what it is. To change the idea of being a fluke, you have to repeat the success or at least maintain, something they have not been able to do. They need another star, plain and simple if they want to win a ring at least once they have to actually team build with an eye on the sum of its parts, not just a part here, a part there. 

Look I get it, this is a young, developing team. But sadly they are also a team with a history of not being able to get over the hump of the “we made the playoffs but aren’t good enough to win it” treadmill.

I am just tired of year in and year out knowing our chance at a ring is a long shot. At some point I just want them to go all in and win the whole thing, or the very least prove you aren’t a fluke.